Author Topic: Will we ever reach 1.0?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline bitsapphire

The BitSapphire wallet seems to be happening at a rapid pace though.
Maybe there's some cross-over between our developers and BitSapphire.

We're primarily concentrating on BitShares Music, Peertracks, and Moonstone. For the BTSM DAC we have a road map which is in 4 stages. By March alpha of stage 2 should be open to the community, stage one is making tokens liquid.

TBH, at this point we believe that the primary reason why so few startups integrated with BitShares is simply due to non-existent documentation. If you look at the code (both the DAC and the current wallet) there aren't even any comments. It took us 1-2 months per team member to understand what's happening, even though we had 8 months of experience with some pretty deep Bitcoin projects.

This means that the primary adoption hurdle isn't as much reaching 1.0 as much as clear documentation.
Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Transparency with fragments of the situation and cause speculating rumors or market panic is worse than no transparency at all .
Some of the changes may have something to do with helping the big project related to BTS in China . Some specific changes needs to be made in order to achieve greater score .

But I think it would serve more positive PR if we can get all the facts together at once without everyone throwing out piece of the puzzle .

So , I would like to move this thread to a private place until I can talk to multiple parties and reach a clear story .

To avoid all those PR mistakes this community has suffered from with someone coming out telling their thoughts and everybody guessing .

It's a very difficult balance. In a way, I kind of prefer how things were here before or how MUSIC is handling them. We trust the people we empower as leaders and give them a chance to do their thing without running every freaking detail through the community. On the other hand, it is really very special to have a community that is so involved and developers/leaders who listen to that group and take its opinions to heart. I do think that quite often, we don't see the full picture. I try to lay off most of the time and let the developers do their jobs; they know their business far better than I do.

Offline robrigo

I also think directing toasts delegate pay to two hard workers is a honorable / strategic move... wasn't aware that thread got removed though, so I don't know if that is still the case? If the sore spot is GUI and usability, then giving those guys a little more pay is a good move. Also consider they did not necessarily receive the same type of bonuses as the core devs.

If BTS Music is going to launch on time in March, I would assume it also relies on a stable 1.0 version. So I would not feel so threatened by it. I think toast helping them out when the time came has been the plan now for a while... I remember talking to cob about it at the Vegas conference. It was probably also assumed that 1.0 would be done by now, but estimates aren't always accurate, and things do come up / shit happens.

Lastly, even though it may not seem like there is much activity going on in the repo this week, it is definitely possible that some devs do a lot of work locally before organizing and syncing their commits into github, I think theoretical mentioned that was his typical workflow.

Another thing to keep in mind is, some problems are trickier than others, and require more nuance and care. Lines of code isn't a great metric to measure by when it comes to software. I would be concerned if the "dry spell" kept up for a couple weeks straight.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:02:48 pm by robrigo »

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
I think an equally important question is will we ever have a set of features that are irresistible to  Bitcoin traders? i.e. being able to trade BitBTC/BitUSD with margin. Bytemaster talked about the bond market where we can borrow using arbitrary collateral, but we never got a rough timescale for these things.

What we do hear about is strange discussions about making the client more "fun", which was a distraction from perfecting the core product.

+5% on more transparency.

Multi-tabbed markets
Common price widget panel available on all screens
The amount of whitespace in the market is a disgusting eyesore - you can't resize anything
Not enough use of colors in the orderbook

------------------

Until the dev team realizes that the only people who want to use the market are fanboys that are willing to put up with these flaws.  If it doesn't look good, people won't fucken use it, and instead, they'll lose their money on BTER while they wait for the internal markets to not suck.  And not only will people not use it, they will just the security of the network based on the way the user interface works.  It may not be a fair assessment, but tough shit.  You get judged by how you look.  Thats life.  Until BitShares becomes more concerned with looking good than piling on new features, its markets will suffer from lack of liquidity. 

BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline cn-members

• View Profile
Transparency with fragments of the situation and cause speculating rumors or market panic is worse than no transparency at all .
Some of the changes may have something to do with helping the big project related to BTS in China . Some specific changes needs to be made in order to achieve greater score .

But I think it would serve more positive PR if we can get all the facts together at once without everyone throwing out piece of the puzzle .

So , I would like to move this thread to a private place until I can talk to multiple parties and reach a clear story .

To avoid all those PR mistakes this community has suffered from with someone coming out telling their thoughts and everybody guessing .
BTS中文区发言人公共账号,帮助社区有效沟通与交流。
Chinese Community Spokesman Account,to help the effective communication between Chinese and other members of the community.We're not translators to do regular translations , but will help with vital ones as we see fit and available at that time.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
The BitSapphire wallet seems to be happening at a rapid pace though.
Maybe there's some cross-over between our developers and BitSapphire.

If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
I think an equally important question is will we ever have a set of features that are irresistible to  Bitcoin traders? i.e. being able to trade BitBTC/BitUSD with margin. Bytemaster talked about the bond market where we can borrow using arbitrary collateral, but we never got a rough timescale for these things.

What we do hear about is strange discussions about making the client more "fun", which was a distraction from perfecting the core product.

+5% on more transparency.

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
And toast just posted saying he was working on MUSIC under a NDA, and therefore diverting his delegate pay to cass and someone else.  Now the post is gone.  Too much truth?

I thought it was an honorable post.

But seriously, what is going on?

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
Great questions.  I'd recommend making sure these are addressed in tomorrow's Mumble session with BM.

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
GitHub activity seems to be at an all-time low. Milestone issues have remained practically unchanged for the past 1-2 weeks. BTS 0.6.2 is already 4 days past due.

Now there's talk of dev time going to Music/Play. I truly feel that at the rate we're going, we will be completely dominated by these "powered by BitShares" competitors because they have none of the bad PR, inflation issues, or merger bad-taste-in-mouth problems going on in BTS. How could we possibly compete, when inflation keeps dwindling our market cap, little seems to be truly advancing development-wise, and the devs aren't keeping us in the loop (in regards to concrete timelines, current focuses, etc)?

Seriously -- what is going on? As a shareholder in this "company" I feel a bit of transparency is sorely needed.