Author Topic: Imagine  (Read 19765 times)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
You can't talk about the "how" without explaining conceptually at least what the advantages are...these are technological AND economic advantages.  To be honest I don't fully understand how the technology works (coding, etc..)..I simply understand the concepts and how they relate to the larger ideals of freedom, economics, etc..

This is an idealist vision, but it also has a practical side. In aiming for a utopian vision, I think it's perfectly okay to highlight what needs to change for us to get there. BitShares enables many of those changes. I'm upset my bank charges me high fees. Why does it need to take days to send money to someone? Now they got hacked and everyone's social security numbers were stolen. Makes me want to tear up my credit cards and live free. In a good way. The anger is part of breaking free and declaring independence, releasing from that system and embracing a better future.

Offline matt608

• View Profile

I'm not talking about authority as in expertise. That is earned, it has merit and that is what has value. Real experts have "authority" not b/c someone says they do but rather b/c they have results to show they are experts. Labels people or institutions associate with someone are just claims which are often hollow and without substance to back them up.

Authority is a religion and it is belief and trust in it that is the cause of more death than ANY OTHER FACTOR.

+5%

Slaying one's pantheon of imaginary authorities is a long, maybe lifelong, process of liberation.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
If this is something the community really wants...I can get together with the same producer that I worked with on the Welcome To The Blockchain song and we can create something original for Bitshares....am I to understand that there will be a minimum 500 BitUSD reward if it is favored by the community?

Yes... actually it will be "favored by me" because it should represent my vision... but I will highly factor in community opinion.

Evolvo, if you can do a song like that for BitShares, then Dan won't be the only one sending some BTS or BitUSD your way. The lyrics could frame the vision or they could help explain it or both.

What I'm envisioning is something that communicates the advantages of Bitshares from a technological, financial, and macro-economic perspective while underpinning that with the philosophical foundation upon which it rests.  I hope that's something that Bytemaster and the community can get behind.

I totally get your angle. You're 'welcome to the blockchain' is pretty on the money.  With a good video edit on top of that & a Ron Paul, Snowden, Crypto specific soundbite thrown in inbetween it would be pretty sick. A great balance of the goal and the basics of what it is. I could see something with maybe +15% on the philosophy getting the 18-36 Libertarian demographic in the bag.

They're looking for a +90% on the vision & philosophy angle here, don't know if that's your thing.
Could work very well, bit trickier to pull off though.

Offline Thom

I think we sell the GOAL and not the MEANS.     BitShares is an imperfect attempt/compromise to realize a universal goal:  non-violence and world peace and prosperity.  I am just uncompromising in my pursuit of those goals.   

You certainly have my support in striving for these goals, and I'll remember you said the text I highlighted.

I don't know who / what sources you have studied to arrive here with your non-statist perspective, but I can "imagine" contributors like Stefan Molyneux and Larken Rose to name just a two.

When I see threads like this I feel like a 4 year old trying to relate how alien beings just landed in the backyard to his grand dad. So much must be understood about human behavior, psychopathy, sociology and history to paint a comprehensive picture about why the concept of authority is so powerful yet so terrible.

I'm not talking about authority as in expertise. That is earned, it has merit and that is what has value. Real experts have "authority" not b/c someone says they do but rather b/c they have results to show they are experts. Labels people or institutions associate with someone are just claims which are often hollow and without substance to back them up.

Authority is a good example of a word whose use has been manipulated and twisted, blurring the distinction between authority which is arbitrary, appointed and a symbol of power and control to that which deserves respect because of work performed or practical knowledge attained through experience or intrinsic abilities.

Authority is a religion and it is belief and trust in it that is the cause of more death than ANY OTHER FACTOR. "I was just following orders". Look up the Milgram experiment and then tell me you think authority is rational. How does such a value become so ingrained in the human psyche that they will sacrifice their own self interests, ignore their own values and beliefs to defer to those of "some authority"?

The fundamental reason is b/c we're trained that way by our parents which is further reinforced by society and societies' institutions. We are no longer taught how to think or how to ask questions to ascertain truth.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Riverhead

Agreed. When PoW was new and impressive no one had even considered DPoS. What will come after DPoS shouldn't antiquate the song.

Offline bytemaster

Remember the TED video... we are still small...  if we can win over the 10% of the 3% that voted for Ron Paul we will have a huge user base.   Bitcoin was born on the backs of these users and has gone astray.   If we can recover and convert the original Bitcoin believers then they can do for us what they did for Bitcoin.   

I think we sell the GOAL and not the MEANS.     BitShares is an imperfect attempt/compromise to realize a universal goal:  non-violence and world peace and prosperity.  I am just uncompromising in my pursuit of those goals.   As long as we are careful to separate the goal from the means we can gain support from everyone.

I was under the impression that we were going after a more mainstream audience? I must have missed the thread where this plan changed.
I'm fine with focusing on a libertarian audience and I guess having a politically charged "leader" works in that case. Just keep in mind that if we were to go after a mainstream audience it would hurt us (unless going after a mainstream audience is out the window?).

P.S. to anyone who thinks I'm talking about the song, I'm not. The song is fine. I'm talking about BM's political comments that don't directly have to do with BTS.

We are going for mainstream (next year)... but in the short term we need to find more "true believers" who are in this for the vision and not just the service.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
Remember the TED video... we are still small...  if we can win over the 10% of the 3% that voted for Ron Paul we will have a huge user base.   Bitcoin was born on the backs of these users and has gone astray.   If we can recover and convert the original Bitcoin believers then they can do for us what they did for Bitcoin.   

I think we sell the GOAL and not the MEANS.     BitShares is an imperfect attempt/compromise to realize a universal goal:  non-violence and world peace and prosperity.  I am just uncompromising in my pursuit of those goals.   As long as we are careful to separate the goal from the means we can gain support from everyone.

I was under the impression that we were going after a more mainstream audience? I must have missed the thread where this plan changed.
I'm fine with focusing on a libertarian audience and I guess having a politically charged "leader" works in that case. Just keep in mind that if we were to go after a mainstream audience it would hurt us (unless going after a mainstream audience is out the window?).

P.S. to anyone who thinks I'm talking about the song, I'm not. The song is fine. I'm talking about BM's political comments that don't directly have to do with BTS.

Offline evolvo

You can't talk about the "how" without explaining conceptually at least what the advantages are...these are technological AND economic advantages.  To be honest I don't fully understand how the technology works (coding, etc..)..I simply understand the concepts and how they relate to the larger ideals of freedom, economics, etc..
Welcome To The Blockchain (The Bitcoin Song) - by Toby + Decap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbzNJr26H-4

Offline evolvo

Songs should communicate vision and emotion, no technical details. 
Just promote our vision of what the world looks like if everyone used bitshares, which Dan outlined in this thread.

Leave the technical details to a link that someone follows if they like the song.

I didn't mean that I would get into how the technology works...haha...I simply meant that it has a technological advantage over...for example the existing banking system, bitcoin transactions, proof of work, etc...those are technological innovations that can be described in concept without getting into the technical stuff.....that would be extremely boring...hahaha

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Songs should communicate vision and emotion, no technical details. 
Just promote our vision of what the world looks like if everyone used bitshares, which Dan outlined in this thread.

Leave the technical details to a link that someone follows if they like the song.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

If this is something the community really wants...I can get together with the same producer that I worked with on the Welcome To The Blockchain song and we can create something original for Bitshares....am I to understand that there will be a minimum 500 BitUSD reward if it is favored by the community?

Yes... actually it will be "favored by me" because it should represent my vision... but I will highly factor in community opinion.

Evolvo, if you can do a song like that for BitShares, then Dan won't be the only one sending some BTS or BitUSD your way. The lyrics could frame the vision or they could help explain it or both.

What I'm envisioning is something that communicates the advantages of Bitshares from a technological, financial, and macro-economic perspective while underpinning that with the philosophical foundation upon which it rests.  I hope that's something that Bytemaster and the community can get behind.

I am envisioning something that ignores any and all implementation details of BitShares and focuses on the WHY and not the HOW.    I want people to know what I (we) stand for and then imagine what the world would look like once BitShares is mature.

Technology in a song is less inspiring.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline evolvo

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

I think most of us here share Bytemaster's vision.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline evolvo

Then I will speak with the producer today and see what we can come up with. 

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
Like the idea. I would submit an entry to the bounty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.