Author Topic: Zach Lym ("indolering"), Namecoin core dev, visiting BTS team for trial week.  (Read 11123 times)

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
Im wondering in the future which blockchain would you prefer be used for Tor domain lookup? Will it be BitShares, Namecoin or Ethereum?

It depends on the security, I haven't had the time to review how POS impacts the security model.

If its going to be BitShares, are you or someone here going to create a patch of the Tor Browser that looks up domain names on the BTS blockchain, and hope that the Tor project accepts the patch ?

The first step to build a compatible solution, then worry about integration with Tor.  We are actually anticipating that we will have to throw away whatever solution we end up using initially.  Fundamentally, the browsers need to modularize their system for checking the authenticity of certificates.  We can still build a secure interim solution but the options are all hacks.

I won't be doing that coding.  I'm a UX developer, I enjoy programing and I do have to understand the internals of these systems but I stay away from any security related code.

Im also wondering what you think of the anti squatter ideas that were part of the DNS plan? As I understand it an organisation like Wikileaks would have to compete in a DNS auction to get its Wikileaks.bit domain name.

I'm not familiar with them all, but I don't care for your auctioning of domain names.  I am something of an anti-squatting crusader but I think the problem is overblown.

UX development expertise would be phenomenal to augment the rest of the BitShares development team. :)
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline indolering

• View Profile
Im wondering in the future which blockchain would you prefer be used for Tor domain lookup? Will it be BitShares, Namecoin or Ethereum?

It depends on the security, I haven't had the time to review how POS impacts the security model.

If its going to be BitShares, are you or someone here going to create a patch of the Tor Browser that looks up domain names on the BTS blockchain, and hope that the Tor project accepts the patch ?

The first step to build a compatible solution, then worry about integration with Tor.  We are actually anticipating that we will have to throw away whatever solution we end up using initially.  Fundamentally, the browsers need to modularize their system for checking the authenticity of certificates.  We can still build a secure interim solution but the options are all hacks.

I won't be doing that coding.  I'm a UX developer, I enjoy programing and I do have to understand the internals of these systems but I stay away from any security related code.

Im also wondering what you think of the anti squatter ideas that were part of the DNS plan? As I understand it an organisation like Wikileaks would have to compete in a DNS auction to get its Wikileaks.bit domain name.

I'm not familiar with them all, but I don't care for your auctioning of domain names.  I am something of an anti-squatting crusader but I think the problem is overblown.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
What became of this visit? Is he officially own the team or does he want to go a different direction?

He is not coming until january

lol I suppose it would have helped if I didn't skim over that......

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
What became of this visit? Is he officially own the team or does he want to go a different direction?

He is not coming until january
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Bitcoin has already made the devastating 2011 banking blockade of Wikileaks an event that could not be repeated today.  When Tor integrates .bit directly, the Wikileaks Tor hidden service will be accessible at Wikileaks.bit to everyone running Firefox; removing DNS from the censors' toolkit!  Blockchain based identity will help secure communications for whistle-blowers like Snowden.  And proof-of-bandwidth will make Tor scalable.

Great to have you on the team Zach! I like your vision.

Offline ssjpts

• View Profile
    • 中国BTC
  • BitShares: coolman
There is also the possibility that he gets to know your operation behind the scene--the strengths and weaknesses and uses it to one-up bitshares....and gets paid for it.  Like toast said, there is a range of potential outcomes.

Toast already knows my secret motive: convincing BitShares to move aggressively on .p2p!

Back in September (long before I ever spoke with Toast 1:1) I wrote a forum post outlining why BitShares and other cryptos are not our enemies but our allies (cannot post links, check the Namecoin blog).  Namecoin developers are motivated solely by a desire to make the internet usable, censorship resistant, and secure.   I'm betting that BitShares will want a part of this revolution.

Bitcoin has already made the devastating 2011 banking blockade of Wikileaks an event that could not be repeated today.  When Tor integrates .bit directly, the Wikileaks Tor hidden service will be accessible at Wikileaks.bit to everyone running Firefox; removing DNS from the censors' toolkit!  Blockchain based identity will help secure communications for whistle-blowers like Snowden.  And proof-of-bandwidth will make Tor scalable.

Even if one of my proposals goes through I get to work on Namecoin full-time, I want to collaborate with BitShares.  I'm looking forward to "[getting] to know your operation behind the scene--the strengths and weaknesses" because complementary differences make our combined efforts more sustainable.   I spoke with Vitalik this week, and I can assure you that there are common areas of interest for all of the major cryptos.

That being said, even Linus had to work for Transmeta for six years before switching to kernel development full time. I think I have a lot to offer BitShares and I'm looking foward to working with the team.
+5%welcome to Bitshares Family
新浪微博:剑指未来BTS
BTC:1Bc7gRGotktBmnNFr3BUUM22HFXCCTyxor
BTSX ID:loves,集大众之爱,待到BTS 500刀,10%回退给捐赠者,10%用于运营,剩余80%用于爱心事业和BTS宣传推广。

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
There is also the possibility that he gets to know your operation behind the scene--the strengths and weaknesses and uses it to one-up bitshares....and gets paid for it.  Like toast said, there is a range of potential outcomes.

Toast already knows my secret motive: convincing BitShares to move aggressively on .p2p!

Back in September (long before I ever spoke with Toast 1:1) I wrote a forum post outlining why BitShares and other cryptos are not our enemies but our allies (cannot post links, check the Namecoin blog).  Namecoin developers are motivated solely by a desire to make the internet usable, censorship resistant, and secure.   I'm betting that BitShares will want a part of this revolution.

Even if one of my proposals goes through I get to work on Namecoin full-time, I want to collaborate with BitShares.  I'm looking forward to "[getting] to know your operation behind the scene--the strengths and weaknesses" because complementary differences make our combined efforts more sustainable.   I spoke with Vitalik this week, and I can assure you that there are common areas of interest for all of the major cryptos.

That being said, even Linus had to work for Transmeta for six years before switching to kernel development full time. I think I have a lot to offer BitShares and I'm looking foward to working with the team.

You have a great attitude and we are lucky to have you working with BitShares as well.

Offline Rune

• View Profile

I believe that once version 1 of the bitshares protocol has been finished and things like full node and mobile wallets are polished, BTS shareholders will vote to aggressively pursue new markets such as DNS (a potentially gargantuan market due to the fact that it is a natural monopoly).

I'm convinced that the bitshares community will throw a lot more money after developing cheap, universal and censorship resistant DNS than any other community, because to us it will actually represent a significant source of value, so where everyone else are motivated only by idealism, we are motivated by both idealism and profit.

Offline fuzzy

Namecoin developers are motivated solely by a desire to make the internet usable, censorship resistant, and secure.  

Then I love you already...

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile

Great to have you with us.
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline indolering

• View Profile

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH