Author Topic: argentina-marketing.matt608 is now live! Please VOTE for this vital project!  (Read 53004 times)

Offline fran2k

• View Profile
  • BitShares: fran2k
Hello guys, it's awesome seeing so much interest about Argentina!

I had been following this awesome community since almost a year, but I was only active on bitcointalk forum.[1] I now think it's time to take actively part of this great project.

For almost two years I had been participating in the organization of meetups here in Buenos Aires [2], which now are mostly being done at least monthly in the new Bitcoin Embassy along with other events.
We are also in the making on a Civil Association so we can have a legal framework behind us (more news about this soon :).

We were talking just this weekend with Matias (ElMato) about making some local work toward marketing, and that particularly a Bitshares Meetup will be a good start.

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=86588
[2] http://www.meetup.com/Bitcoin-Argentina/members/58917112/ (fran2k robohash ;)
Witness: rmglab /// Buenos Aires BTS Meetup http://www.meetup.com/es-ES/BitSharesBA/ /// [old BTS 1.0 chain] Delegate bitshares-argentina (ex argentina-marketing-matt608) Thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15781.0.html

Offline ElMato

• View Profile
We are very pleased for the reception of the wallet and this encourage us to work even harder.

This is how our vision goes regarding bitUSD in Argentina.

Today Bitcoin in Argentina is being used for:
- Speculation.
- Bring money/Receive payments from overseas (at higher rates than the official dollar rate)
- Merchants to avoid credit card fees and to get the money in banks earlier. (and some of them to avoid taxes)

To a minor extent:
- Tourists exchanging Bitcoin for ARS with OTC brokers.

Bitcoin is not used as a currency but as a way of transmitting money.

The problem with the dollar in Argentina is not one of a supply for small amounts. (Importers are the ones who are restricted).
If you want to buy 1000 USD you can do it on every corner of Buenos Aires or any other major city.

Common people keep part of their income in USD, but when they need to use it they can't without exchange them back to ARS.
Its a problem of convenience, you don't go every day to your USD dealer looking for ARS.
Besides that everyone here know the exchange rate of USD, the economy is not dollarized (Argentina is not Ecuador).

Thats why a bitUSD wallet that allows consumers to spend their USD in everyday purchases has great potential.
Besides that this currency connect the users to a global market, allows them to send instant remittances and gives a bank account to non bankarized ones.

-----

Our short term goals are:
 - Evangelize the Argentina Bitcoin community.
 - Use the existing Bitcoin infrastructure to convert ARS<=>bitUSD.

We are willing to work together in a complementary manner with matt608 and MethodX in the strategy of bitUSD for Argentina.

Going back to work!

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
These guys are based out of the Bitcoin Embassy there. https://foursquare.com/v/bitcoin-embassy-buenos-aires/53600232498e3c9e1a73367e

They couldn't be better placed or connected and they've developed the wallet on their own initiative.

The first step is clearly to interact with these guys and learn more about their views on how they see BitUSD spreading in that market, what they're looking to do on their side and work from there.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:06:25 pm by Empirical1.1 »

Offline matt608

• View Profile
Yeah I like the enthusiasm and I'm the biggest supporter of Argentina based initiatives
I also really liked your efforts here http://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/2nouij/make_2500_a_month_being_one_of_the_first_persons/

It's a reasonable plan but I probably wouldn't vote for this at this stage though. The guys below look much better placed for the initiative and I don't think a young, English, UK based 100% pay-rate marketing delegate is going to add more value than Spanish guys based in the country, who have started and advertised a Bitcoin website and have some technical ability.

Dear community,

My name is Matias Romeo and together with Pablo Tutino we are both cofounders of Latincoin.com.

We are based in Buenos Aires (Argentina) working from the "Bitcoin Center Buenos Aires" (aka: Bitcoin Embassy)

As many of you know the current situation in our country is one of a big opportunity for bitUSD, and seeing that the mobile wallet for bitshares is lagging behind we decided to do our contribution and started the development of a mobile bitasset wallet.

We think that Argentina has a lot of potential for the daily use of bitUSD and we have a lot of efforts going on in that sense that hope to release soon.

There is room for 2.  If Latincoin wants a delegate to fund development of bitUSD wallets and related services I would absolutely support it, but that's what their delegate pay would be for, not marketing a bitUSD-only portal.  Offering a marketing budget to exchanges is not the way forward, it creates a conflict of interest on their side on whether to promote their exchange or bitUSD.  I am a BTS loyal delegate, my marking will be about bitUSD and forming mutually beneficial partnerships. 

For example, it could be a great idea to airdrop bitUSD on users of Argentinian bitcoin exchanges (it can be sent to a bitcoin address).  If this was done, it's better to be done via a BTS loyal delegate to ensure the terms of the drop are maximally beneficial for BTS and bitUSD adoption.  You don't just want to give it to an exchange and say 'here you go, good luck'.  The the bitUSD portal should be ready so the Argentinian exchange can email all their users about the drop and direct them to the bitUSD portal to watch the video and download a wallet, meanwhile while the BTS delegate helps them promote the giveaway via funding ads + writing press releases etc. 

Bottom line:  You don't give exchanges a marketing budget for your product, you form a mutually beneficial partnership.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:51:53 pm by matt608 »

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
Yeah I like the enthusiasm and I'm the biggest supporter of Argentina based initiatives
I also really liked your efforts here http://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/2nouij/make_2500_a_month_being_one_of_the_first_persons/

It's a reasonable plan but I probably wouldn't vote for this at this stage though. The guys below look much better placed for the initiative and I don't think a young, English, UK based 100% pay-rate marketing delegate is going to add more value than Spanish guys based in the country, who have started and advertised a Bitcoin website and have some technical ability.

Dear community,

My name is Matias Romeo and together with Pablo Tutino we are both cofounders of Latincoin.com.

We are based in Buenos Aires (Argentina) working from the "Bitcoin Center Buenos Aires" (aka: Bitcoin Embassy)

As many of you know the current situation in our country is one of a big opportunity for bitUSD, and seeing that the mobile wallet for bitshares is lagging behind we decided to do our contribution and started the development of a mobile bitasset wallet.

We think that Argentina has a lot of potential for the daily use of bitUSD and we have a lot of efforts going on in that sense that hope to release soon.

Sorry if this comes across as overly critical, but over-seeing a successful and credible campaign, especially in a foreign language in another country that also includes the production of a decent video is a big task and requires more relevant experience or a few more smaller BitShares based jobs to prove your ability imo.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:54:58 pm by Empirical1.1 »

Offline matador123

• View Profile
I have agreed to do translation work for Matt, and I support him as a delegate. I truly believe that this is an incredibly important market that can really help get bitUSD out in the mainstream.

Clarification: I lived in Argentina for 7 months, not 7 years. I came back this past July, and while I was there I was studying the country's economy with a special interest in crypto. I consider myself very knowledgable about this particular market. I will be working closely with Matt, as well as some connections I have down there, to help market to this region.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Just forwarding some info from the Chinese community .

They love the guy who was doing the mobile wallet .
And he also runs a local crypto platform in Argentina .

Also , your proposal states that nearly all of the spending are dedicated to Argentina promoting .
So , is it possible to team up with him and apply for one delegate ? (big percentage income for him to continue the wallet and get things done there )

Since he already got the advantage , I think he would be more suitable than anyone you're working with in Argentina . (you need more than translator , you need people on the field ) .

I agree with this. Show me that you're partnering with these guys, maybe give them a cut, and I'll vote for your delegate.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
Matt,

No offence.
I hate to say this but being a high pay rate delegate means getting hired by a DAC, you gotta prove yourself before asking for votes. Posting on forum is easy but developing business is another thing.

Do something, show the community your talent. Then things may get more easier.

No offence taken. 

An employee having immediate control over fund allocation is unusual, so I can completely understand the caution.  The way I see it, the almost 0 pay for myself and initial work done for free combined with 2+ months of community participation and paying over $1k for the chance at having a position more than adequately compensates for the 'faster-than-usual-delegation-of-funds' risk.  Especially when you can change your mind with a click without having to fill in any forms ;).    My 'taking the plunge' with this does prove something about me.  You want marketers who make a splash right? 

I am confident that over the the coming days and weeks everyone will gain confidence in my ability as I continue to write, organise and prepare.

I will point out though that not voting for me is to vote to delay development of the bitUSD portal, which now with this great news from Latincoin, we need ready asap.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:03:40 pm by matt608 »

Offline matt608

• View Profile
@heyD: matt is the one developing the android app from https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=11902.new#new
I think one is Matt from the UK (matt608 ) and the other is Matias from Argentina working on the wallet.
Dang .. I mixed that up ..

It's true, I'm a different Matt, pure marketing delegate.

Offline Riverhead

@heyD: matt is the one developing the android app from https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=11902.new#new
I think one is Matt from the UK (matt608 ) and the other is Matias from Argentina working on the wallet.
Hopefully they'll be working together soon 8)

Sent from my Timex Sinclair.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Riverhead

Sent from my Timex Sinclair.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline muse-umum

• BitShares everything
    • View Profile
Matt,

No offence.
I hate to say this but being a high pay rate delegate means getting hired by a DAC, you gotta prove yourself before asking for votes. Posting on forum is easy but developing business is another thing.

Do something, show the community your talent. Then things may get more easier.