Author Topic: [ANN] BitShares PTS Mandatory Upgrade & Snapshot Announcement  (Read 220866 times)

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile
Re: [ANN] BitShares PTS Mandatory Upgrade & Snapshot Announcement
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2014, 08:48:11 am »
Why isn't there any mention of sharedrops in future DAC's on the website? It's just a DPOS alt coin, the way it looks now.

Also what's the point of having 1 billion units? At current prices this would bring PTS to Dogecoin level.

There is a page dedicated to the social consensus, though I agree it should be more prominent on the front page: http://ptscrypto.com/BitShares.html

The billion units was primarily to help in marketing. It gives us a nice round number to start with for supply (vs. 1,783,034) and it creates the perception of value (eg, feels better to tip 100PTS than 0.1PTS). Perception drives reality.

Offline graffenwalder

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2014, 08:28:28 am »
Why isn't there any mention of sharedrops in future DAC's on the website? It's just a DPOS alt coin, the way it looks now.

Also what's the point of having 1 billion units? At current prices this would bring PTS to Dogecoin level.

Offline svk

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 07:48:24 am »
+5%.

I'd support higher registration fees for sure, it's a good idea by itself imo just to prevent name spam. 10 times higher than in BTS shouldn't be a problem imo.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 07:32:04 am »
we will need to select transaction and user registration fees carefully in order to help offset, however slightly, the cost of running delegates.

High transaction and registration fees are definitely one sustainable model - however they might inhibit adoption and transaction volume.

I wonder if there isn't a way to have both a hardcap and a transaction processing subsidy?
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 07:30:33 am »
Just call it "protoshares". Calling it "bitshares-PTS" was an unfortunate necessity because I3 was a company that could get sued.

I thought Protoshares was TM'ed, as I3 discovered.

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 06:50:49 am »
One question - ProtoShares allows for a 1% inflation over time as a transaction processing subsidy -

1081: // Subsidy may be a minimum of 0.19012850*COIN
1082: // Expected 365.25 * 24 * 12 * 0.19012850 = approx 20,000 coins per year, 1% annual inflation
1083: if(nSubsidy<0.19012850*COIN){nSubsidy=0.19012850*COIN;}

If you're removing this inflation, how will PTS DPOS incentivize delegates sufficiently? What will happen if there is a lack of competition for delegate spots?

I believe the current plan is for delegates to be paid a percentage of transaction fees (0-100%), as in the old BTSX. This is understandably a low amount, and therefore we will need to select transaction and user registration fees carefully in order to help offset, however slightly, the cost of running delegates. I will mention that there will be a degree of centralization in the early days, similar to the "init" delegates of BTS/BTSX. As market cap and volume increase, the incentives for running delegates should increase accordingly.

Offline testz

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 06:45:39 am »
I've updated the original BitcoinTalk thread with the news -

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=325261.0

Thanks!  +5%

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 06:33:44 am »
One question - ProtoShares allows for a 1% inflation over time as a transaction processing subsidy -

1081: // Subsidy may be a minimum of 0.19012850*COIN
1082: // Expected 365.25 * 24 * 12 * 0.19012850 = approx 20,000 coins per year, 1% annual inflation
1083: if(nSubsidy<0.19012850*COIN){nSubsidy=0.19012850*COIN;}

If you're removing this inflation, how will PTS DPOS incentivize delegates sufficiently? What will happen if there is a lack of competition for delegate spots?
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 06:28:46 am »
I've updated the original BitcoinTalk thread with the news -

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=325261.0

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 06:26:10 am »
What are the special features plan for this DAC?

The new client uses a bare implementation of the DPoS protocol, not intended to "generate revenue" or to implement any particular business strategy or special features as a traditional DAC would do. The objective is to make PTS a DAC-agnostic unit of account and a reference implementation of the BitShares Toolkit that developers can fork and sharedrop with ease.

zerosum

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 06:12:57 am »
Just call it "protoshares". Calling it "bitshares-PTS" was an unfortunate necessity because I3 was a company that could get sued.

Yes, the branding is a bit of an awful mess but our intention is to address one issue at a time. The current focus is 100% on an upgrade to DPoS. Same coin, same name, same allocation, same exchanges, with only one simple upgrade.

It as all lies - it is not "Same coin, same name, same allocation, same exchanges, with only one simple upgrade.'

It is a share drop on my coin - PTS.

Thanks, btw.

Offline joele

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 06:08:53 am »
What are the special features plan for this DAC?

Offline alphaBar

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 05:56:30 am »

Yes, the branding is a bit of an awful mess but our intention is to address one issue at a time. The current focus is 100% on an upgrade to DPoS. Same coin, same name, same allocation, same exchanges, with only one simple upgrade.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 05:46:04 am »
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Riverhead

Re: [ANN] BitShares PTS Mandatory Client Upgrade & Snapshot Announcement
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 05:28:16 am »

So you are saying sharedrop on PTS, is all it is?

No, this may be semantics but it is an upgrade. The PoW chain is nearly dead and producing about 1 block per day.

No, it is a sharedrop on it!

Nearly dead is still alive! I am upgrading it to POS in 2 weeks.

So be informed...

This is indeed a sharedrop. However it is also a proof of concept of sorts. If BTC was to "upgrade" to DPoS how would they do it? The same as any other fork: Create something new and try to convince people to follow.

The first attempt was the share drop on BTS but that didn't take because BTS is not PTS (as evidenced by the sheer complexity of trying to figure out who gets what in a product as complex as Bitshares).

This attempt is to hard fork PTS to DPoS. People will either get on board or continue to mine on the old chain. The free market will decide.