Author Topic: Mobile Wallet - Testers needed  (Read 77142 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
This could be a bummer:

Mycelium's Bitcoin Wallet Suspended from Google Play Store:

http://www.coindesk.com/myceliums-bitcoin-wallet-suspended-google-play-store/

That's where integration with something like Blackphone might come in handy...

https://blackphone.ch/

i've asked them before if they would accept BTC etc. for payment - no chance at this time ...!
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
This could be a bummer:

That's where integration with something like Blackphone might come in handy...

https://blackphone.ch/

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
FFunny i just spoke about mycelium yesterday and how it had a centralized api which i dont trust
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
This could be a bummer:

WTF Google, stop pulling an Apple. At times like these I am glad Android gives the option to allow installing APKs from Unknown Sources out of the box without rooting. Still, that is not an acceptable requirement to force on regular users, so I hope this is just an error that will quickly get resolved.

Offline onceuponatime

This could be a bummer:

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
If it works with the bitcoin URI scheme... how will it handle other installed bitcoin wallets?

From my limited understanding, it is a problem on iOS. You get undefined behavior if you have more than one app register the same URL scheme. But I believe with Android you can have multiple apps register it and then the user gets to choose which one of the registered apps they want to launch.

So that means the iOS version of ElMato's mobile wallet should probably not register "bitcoin:" but rather just "bts:". But I think it could launch a "bitcoin:" URL from within the BitShares mobile wallet which would then call the Bitcoin app installed on the same device (assuming one is installed). The Android version could respond to both "bitcoin:" and "bts:". So if you click on a Bitcoin payment link in a browser, you could choose to pay using your BTC from your installed Bitcoin app, or you can choose to pay using your BitAssets (via the automated bridge to BTC) from the BitShares mobile wallet.

This is obviously not an ideal UX, which is why I was a little disappointed to hear that it is not in ElMato's plans to integrate Bitcoin functionality in the mobile wallet. But that's fine, it is just an opportunity for someone else to integrate that code along with Bitcoin wallet code into HedgeWallet and market that to Bitcoiners specifically.

I've developed with Andreas' android wallet and know my way aroudn that one.. it shouldn't be too hard to lock into bit assets from bitcoin...

Great! So are you interested in taking the lead on this HedgeWallet project?

What would this HedgeWallet provide that Andreas' wallet wouldn't be able to do?

Andreas' Bitcoin Wallet is just a Bitcoin client. HedgeWallet would be a BitShares mobile client + Bitcoin mobile client integrated into one app. It would have easy UX to convert BTC balances stored with the wallet into one of the various BitAssets and back (via a bridge). It would allow you to pay Bitcoin addresses either with real BTC or from BitAsset balances via a bridge (like shapeshift, metaexchange, or maybe even ElMato's solution). It would of course also allow you to receive real BTC and to also receive and send BitAssets through the BitShares network. The bridge services would also be used to convert one BitAsset into another directly, rather than forcing the user to go through BTC as an intermediate asset.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:31:41 am by arhag »

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
is the network connection model similar to mycelium which has an api running behind some network supernodes?  Is the API  mechanism decentralized or a central entity? In that I mean is the code open sourced? I would imagine we would have the delegates host this API so that it is as decentralized as signing blocks.

If you are keeping the API side closed like MyCelium, please state your reason for doing so.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:48:14 pm by jsidhu »

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
What we are doing It is NOT a Bitcoin wallet and even if its technically feasible we don't plan to do it because from our perspective it will confuse/dilute the value proposition that bitAssets bring to the table.

On the other hand i strongly support the idea of forking an existing bitcoin wallet (Electrum, Andreas Schildbach, other?) and add the option to "lock(s)" the balance in bitUSD/CNY/etc.

I think this product could be the HedgeWallet.

Alright. But I can see that the app is using the Bitcoin URI scheme. So at least could that (and perhaps alternatively Intents on Android) provide a very nice experience for coupling an already existing Bitcoin wallet to your mobile wallet? I would like to be able to go into the BItShares mobile wallet, choose deposit, select the BitAsset type and quantity, then have the wallet automatically launch (whether through Bitcoin URL scheme for iOS or Intents on Android) a Bitcoin app installed on the device with everything filled in and ready to go. It seems like you are already planning on enabled that sort of UX with your wallet, correct? Similarly, on Android, you could have the BitShares mobile wallet also register for the Bitcoin Intent (I don't think this can be done with iOS if the user already has another Bitcoin app installed, because iOS doesn't have Android's powerful Intents features) so that it can be used to pay (by clicking on a link in the browser for example) a Bitcoin address via your bridge and fund it with their BitAsset balances.

This integration with third-party Bitcoin wallets installed on the same device could provide us something really close to the HedgeWallet until the real HedgeWallet is ready.

If it works with the bitcoin URI scheme... how will it handle other installed bitcoin wallets?

I support what ElMato says about forking an existing bitcoin wallet source... electrum is centralized using an API i believe so I dont thinkt hat one is possible unless we backwards engineer it.. but this allows people to use an interface they are already familiar with... and maybe one day a pull request can be merged into the original codebase if the demand is high enough.

I've developed with Andreas' android wallet and know my way aroudn that one.. it shouldn't be too hard to lock into bit assets from bitcoin...

What would this HedgeWallet provide that Andreas' wallet wouldn't be able to do?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:29:52 pm by jsidhu »

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I think it could be a good idea if BitWallet became a project that primarily focused on bitcoin users. So the integrated bridge functionality became the centerpiece of the app and development would focus on getting the user experience for that as perfect as possible. So bitcoin transactions from the wallet should be as prominent and easy as bitshares transactions.

Then we could really take advantage of the fact that we have two mobile wallets, nathan hourts would be for bitshares users while bitwallet would focus on bitcoin users. Then all marketing can focus on the bitwallet at first since that's a product with large demand we can begin selling to bitcoiners as soon as it is out.

Offline graffenwalder

Apparantly coinjar released a new feature. Allowing you to hedge BTC against AUD, GBP, EUR and USD.

https://blog.coinjar.com/2015/02/10/introducing-hedged-accounts/

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
@elmato: could pls send me link to android version so i could test new alpha design workflow etc!?
This would be really great! Thx
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
What we are doing It is NOT a Bitcoin wallet and even if its technically feasible we don't plan to do it because from our perspective it will confuse/dilute the value proposition that bitAssets bring to the table.

On the other hand i strongly support the idea of forking an existing bitcoin wallet (Electrum, Andreas Schildbach, other?) and add the option to "lock(s)" the balance in bitUSD/CNY/etc.

Alright. But I can see that the app is using the Bitcoin URI scheme. So at least could that (and perhaps alternatively Intents on Android) provide a very nice experience for coupling an already existing Bitcoin wallet to your mobile wallet? I would like to be able to go into the BItShares mobile wallet, choose deposit, select the BitAsset type and quantity, then have the wallet automatically launch (whether through Bitcoin URL scheme for iOS or Intents on Android) a Bitcoin app installed on the device with everything filled in and ready to go. It seems like you are already planning on enabled that sort of UX with your wallet, correct? Similarly, on Android, you could have the BitShares mobile wallet also register for the Bitcoin Intent (I don't think this can be done with iOS if the user already has another Bitcoin app installed, because iOS doesn't have Android's powerful Intents features) so that it can be used to pay (by clicking on a link in the browser for example) a Bitcoin address via your bridge and fund it with their BitAsset balances.

This integration with third-party Bitcoin wallets installed on the same device could provide us something really close to the HedgeWallet until the real HedgeWallet is ready.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:31:04 am by arhag »

Offline ElMato

• View Profile
edit: it's meant to be able to send and receive bitcoin just like a regular bitcoin wallet (scanning/generating bitcoin QR codes), right? Ideally it should be able to scan a bitpay QR code and get the address and amount, then send the amount to the bridge to get a locked in quote for an amount that corresponds to the price of the locked in bitpay quote, and then have the bridge return the amount of bitUSD the wallets need to send to the bridge account with a memo that makes the bridge return any funds that are in excess of the quote, and return all funds if they are below the quote.

@Rune, the mechanics are more or less the ones that you describe but we also have a PP (Partialy Paid) state for the exchange transaction, so you can fund it in many transfers without problems.
Also whatever you send in excess you can claim it later because you are the owner of that tx.

Just make sure it is technically tight.  Don't leave room for hackers of any kind.

@bitmarket, thanks for your support we take security very seriously.
Besides all of our precautions and design considerations im in talks with Sergio Lerner's company to do a full audit of the wallet.

Edit: I know I'm getting ahead of myself... but any plans for an iOS version?
@.yoshi
We are using testflight app for iOS testing, you can go here http://tflig.ht/1vUyctu

Are there additional resources from the community that you need to be successful?

@hpenvy2, as many projects here what we need is more horse power.
What we really need now is help in the brand design, thats why we look forward to work with @cass and @rgcrypto.

Since that means you must be running a Bitcoin node on the server as well, what are your thoughts on allowing the mobile wallet to act as a Bitcoin wallet as well (and augment the API with the server to receive and create Bitcoin transactions)?

@arhag, i will try to address some of the questions that are arising.

We think that the best product in the crypto world are the bitAssets.

And even if we think that our early adopters will come from the crypto community they are not our final target.
We can have the bitcoin crowd on board pitching them something like "stay in cryptoland, be stable" without forcing them to change their favorite wallet.

That will be a "reloaded" version of a bitcoin wallet.
A really nice product for the bitcoin community.

Another response would be to fork Andreas Schildbach bitcoin wallet and instead of a "Locks" button add a "to bitUSD" button.
( https://medium.com/@Coinapult/electrum-locks-plugin-beta-9d8f724af19a )

But we should rely on a centralized exchange to do the conversion because we don't have cross-chain trading yet.
This will give the same value proposition as locks but with new benefits.

Offline teenagecheese

• View Profile
Awesome!!! Can't wait. This will be huge.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I agree that the mobile wallet with the ability to hold bitcoin is very important.  I know important things are being done on the bitshares code right now, but that's impossible to market.  Checking the github for progress is depressing because it seems like tasks take so long to accomplish.  Even worse is seeing extra full weeks being added on to each release date.  Come to think of it the github is almost like "Anitmarketing", it only dissapoints.  It would be nice if the marketing team had something usable and tangible for non-geeks to experience.

Sometimes shorter sprints help.. and pick a day to be demo day (not release day).. to show off what you got to the community. If forcasts and estimates are not being met then shorter sprints usually solves that and they get better at predicting time for work and increasing sprint lengths over iterations. It's what we do at work and we learned the hard way but the more experienced people are usually spot on with estimates... in general under promise and over deliver.

As far as this wallet goes, im looking forward to testing it and using it in applications.