Author Topic: OIL. Let's get this asset going.  (Read 13993 times)

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
good start ... though we still should have at least 2 more sources for a price for OIL ..

Agreed, unfortunately it would seem most of the feeds cost money. I haven't been able to find any freebies. Maybe we could have the DAC subsidize the cost of OIL feeds by allowing 3% delegates to re-register a new 4% delegate, and use the extra 1% to pay for the OIL feed. The problem with that however, is that standby delegates would need to eat the cost of an OIL feed. Maybe we need a specific 100% OIL delegate to transparently pay the other delegates OIL feed prices and also cover the top 50 in standby or something? Not sure the best way to tackle that.

Edit: it would be nice if we could work with quandl and maybe some other sites to give us some kind of bulk buy "delegate" deal on feeds. Unforunately quandl themselves don't have any real time OIL feeds according to the founder:

Quote from: robrigo
Is there any real time oil feeds for Brent or WTI? I am involved with a distributed exchange called bitshares and we could really use the data to make oil derivatives happen. Thanks!

Robert:

Sorry to say, but no real time feeds yet.

--
Tammer Kamel
Founder & CEO
connect@quandl.com

We need to talk to tradingcharts.com they have a feed I believe.

Offline robrigo

good start ... though we still should have at least 2 more sources for a price for OIL ..

Agreed, unfortunately it would seem most of the feeds cost money. I haven't been able to find any freebies. Maybe we could have the DAC subsidize the cost of OIL feeds by allowing 3% delegates to re-register a new 4% delegate, and use the extra 1% to pay for the OIL feed. The problem with that however, is that standby delegates would need to eat the cost of an OIL feed. Maybe we need a specific 100% OIL delegate to transparently pay the other delegates OIL feed prices and also cover the top 50 in standby or something? Not sure the best way to tackle that.

Edit: it would be nice if we could work with quandl and maybe some other sites to give us some kind of bulk buy "delegate" deal on feeds. Unforunately quandl themselves don't have any real time OIL feeds according to the founder:

Quote from: robrigo
Is there any real time oil feeds for Brent or WTI? I am involved with a distributed exchange called bitshares and we could really use the data to make oil derivatives happen. Thanks!

Robert:

Sorry to say, but no real time feeds yet.

--
Tammer Kamel
Founder & CEO
connect@quandl.com
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:10:02 pm by robrigo »

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Oil is absolutely perfect to start a campaign for getting the adoption of bitOIL and therefore Bitshares.

We may need to advertise on Google Adsense.

We need a website.

We need to get this going.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline robrigo

IG doesn't let you register outside of the UK. I am going to assume that an API token of some sort is required to pull the feed programmatically; maybe not though since it is a free feed. If not can you pass off some details like the endpoint and some common params? I was going to try to integrate it into alt's price feed script and send a PR.

Offline robrigo

Can anyone tell if this is the spot/cash price, or a 1 day future, or something else?

http://www.ig.com/uk/ig-commodities/us-light-crude

They have a free feed.

Looks like the free feed is 15 minutes delayed. Should be good enough to kick off Brent OIL.

How do I activate data feeds on my account?
To activate data feeds:

1.      Log into the trading platform and select My Account

2.      Select Data Feeds

3.      Select the relevant data feed then click Add Data Feeds

If you are activating the NYSE or AMEX exchange feed, you will need to complete the exchange agreement form via the Data Feeds section.

Data feeds on CFD accounts

Adding data feeds allows you to see additional price feeds and volume data for shares. There is a monthly cost for adding a data feed, but we rebate the cost if you place a minimum number of trades per month on that particular exchange.

The Data Feeds section in My Account lists each available exchange, along with the cost of access per month. The Activity column shows the number of trades required to receive a rebate on the cost.

Please note: any new exchange feed you activate will be charged to your account immediately for the current calendar month, and you’ll receive the rebate at the end of the month (if applicable).

If you plan to take a break from trading in an oncoming month we recommend that you deactivate your data feeds before the end of the current month to avoid being charged.

The levels of access available are:

·           No fee: In some cases, we are able to provide free data feeds from alternative exchanges. There is no cost for this access, but it may be delayed by 15 minutes.

·           Level 1: This will enable a live price feed but it won’t provide volume data for all stocks (such as small-cap stocks)

·           Level 2: This will provide a live price, along with volume data from the exchange where applicable. Level 2 access is required to view volume data on our charts, or the orderbook on PureDMA and L2 Dealer.

Data feeds on spread betting accounts

All markets are already enabled, with the exception of Australian and Canadian shares (which can be enabled in the Data Feeds section in My Account).

Offline monsterer

Can anyone tell if this is the spot/cash price, or a 1 day future, or something else?

http://www.ig.com/uk/ig-commodities/us-light-crude

They have a free feed.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline wasthatawolf

(Edit: That's not 'the worst they can do' I referred to earlier.)

What's the worst they can do?

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
I see BitReserve are going to be in attendance at the Beunos Aries meet up.

I've been talking with Juan Llanos from BitReserve and it seems he is attending tomorrow, lets see what it turns out

Meanwhile our official marketing team never even acknowledged that market.

BitReserve do really do get to be a fox in the BitShares henhouse.

Challenging the BitAsset brand (which we've had a year to cement), key markets and there's worse they can do too, but I won't mention it, they've already potentially taken the BitOil idea from this thread.

While I doubt they got the idea from the thread, you bring up a valid point about BitAsset branding. You don't need a polished wallet to start introducing the brand into the market. Oh well, that window is gone.  Now we need to take a different approach to an awareness campaign.

Yes even before 1.0 there's no reason not to do a strong crypto-advertising campaign that should have been done anyway and would have flooded the crypto-market with and thereby cementing that BitAssets belong to BitShares. I'm really glad BitUSD is on the front of CMC again that helps a lot.

A coinmarketcap, coindesk and even ZH front page (good market would understand how BitAssets are created) advert as well as a slew of sponsored articles would have cost less than 10-20k. Which is a drop compared to marketing salaries and now their budget.
However it takes 10 100% delegates to do it ourselves.

I suppose it's unlikely that BitReserve are getting their marketing ideas from this thread but if I see them advertising BitOil or BitGold on the front of any of the sites I mentioned in the next week I'll think otherwise. (Edit: That's not 'the worst they can do' I referred to earlier.)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:44:55 pm by Empirical1.1 »

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile

I've been talking with Juan Llanos from BitReserve and it seems he is attending tomorrow, lets see what it turns out

Challenging the BitAsset brand (which we've had a year to cement), key markets and there's worse they can do too, but I won't mention it, they've already potentially taken the BitOil idea from this thread.

While I doubt they got the idea from the thread, you bring up a valid point about BitAsset branding. You don't need a polished wallet to start introducing the brand into the market. Oh well, that window is gone.  Now we need to take a different approach to an awareness campaign.
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
yhea ... as they "apparently" also did for bitUSD :)

It just depends who gets themselves publicly known by them first, to me BitAssets, imply decentralisation and we'll probably still hold the small crypto market, but our lack of marketing & not opening up BitOil/Silver and pushing BitGold may cost us the BitAsset brand in a few months as customers will be too confused between the two.

Could be a good BitAsset to start now. Let's not miss the OIL bus opportunity like these guys... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sLB-uMPj27s

You're right.  +5%
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

It just depends who gets themselves publicly known by them first, to me BitAssets, imply decentralisation and we'll probably still hold the small crypto market, but our lack of marketing & not opening up BitOil/Silver and pushing BitGold may cost us the BitAsset brand in a few months as customers will be too confused between the two.

Could be a good BitAsset to start now. Let's not miss the OIL bus opportunity like these guys... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sLB-uMPj27s

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:19:37 am by Empirical1.1 »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
http://newsbtc.com/2014/12/11/bitcoin-oil-new-digital-power-couple/

Apparently they've 'trademarked' BitOil

http://www.forexminute.com/commodities-news/bitreserve-transforms-oil-spendable-currency-51706

“For the first time in history, oil will become a form of payment and compete against all major global fiat currencies.” 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:56:18 am by Empirical1.1 »