Author Topic: BitSuperLab please fix your feeds  (Read 10108 times)

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
I have rewrite the feed price script, can you try the new version?
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16170.new.html#new

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
I reported this issue here some days ago. Feed tool is no longer working after latest git pull
https://github.com/bitsuperlab/operation_tools/issues/6

Code: [Select]
Warning: unknown error, can't fetch price
Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Its still better than using bticoin even though vendors like overstock accept bitcoin they will still price based on BTSUSD price I believe... however its not as good as it can be and a 1% feed difference can make a big difference for people relying on commisions, which is what most businesses will tend to do to start off with this system.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

zerosum

Just wanted to post up to bring attention to this

current silver feed price median is showing as 15.7845021684$

current market price from kitco(ny spot) bid  SILVER bid-16.86    ask-16.96

anyone else seeing a problem here?

welcome in our world :D

on metaexchange.info we have the same problems on the bitBTC pair. We should discuss if we can improve the feed prices or if we can find a better solution for it. If we want to create businesses around the BitShares ecosystem we need better feedprices.

Your problem is not the inaccurate feed price Shentist (and monsterer) [it is a problem but not the most significant one]...your main problem is due to the inability (impossibility) to hedge (or actually take) the bitBTC positions when you are forced to take such position in the current BTS system.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:48:26 pm by tonyk2 »

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

on metaexchange.info we have the same problems on the bitBTC pair. We should discuss if we can improve the feed prices or if we can find a better solution for it. If we want to create businesses around the BitShares ecosystem we need better feedprices.

The first step in solving a problem is that we all acknowledge that their is one.

Hopefully others will join the discussion and we can begin to work toward a common goal.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I am using bitsharesblocks median feeds on cryptosmith.info ...

BTS median price: 124.20 BTS/bitUSD
bitSilver median price: 2,003.83 BTS/bitSILVER

2,003.83 / 124.20 = $16.13

Price of real silver: $16.88
Difference = $0.75

its slowly catching up but its been off for 10-15 mins.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 05:38:18 pm by jsidhu »

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
 blockchain_get_feeds_for_asset 6

returns quite the range -
"price": 0.00051223015243678999      for a bunch of folks
"price": 0.0011302211302211                for others

Not sure how many places to move the decimal over, but its still a hell of a gap

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano

Aah i see but its averaged out amongst all delegates providing feeds right?

Not quite. If it was averaged a delegate could manipulate the feed by publishing a price that is extremely off. The market price feed is the median (i. e. middle) value of all published feed prices. So if a delegate changes his published price from below the market feed to above the market feed (or vice versa) the market feed will move to the next published price (which should be very close to its neighbour).

So IMO published feeds should be as accurate as possible, but the time of publishing should be unpredictable.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
One more fairly obvious item you should add to the list is:

Always multiply your published price by a random number that is close to 1; maybe within a quarter percent of one. It's an easy step that makes the price feed that much less predictable and improves security against precision market manipulation.
It is not necessary in my mind since the noise we need comes already from delegates that publish less often price feeds  :)

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I guess I should just go design a feed-prediction attack and make money myself, since people seem so hard to convince.

At the very least, feed scripts should randomize update times. I'll leave it at that until I can give a better argument.

Feed-prediction? if you can predict the feed you would be a trillionaire by now... do you mean feed arbitrage or some other form of manipulation?

I think feed prediction is entirely possible because the feed is trailing the actual market. By closely monitoring the delegates' individual feeds it should be possible to predict when a given delegate updates his feed, from what sources he derives the feed price and what his next published price will be. Such prediction will likely be possible a couple of blocks before the publishing, and the accuracy of the predicted price will likely be high compared to the difference between the new price and the previous price published by that delegate.

But since a delegate does not control the price directly I would assume that the predictable price *movement* is too small to be exploitable.

Aah i see but its averaged out amongst all delegates providing feeds right?

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
I guess I should just go design a feed-prediction attack and make money myself, since people seem so hard to convince.

At the very least, feed scripts should randomize update times. I'll leave it at that until I can give a better argument.

Feed-prediction? if you can predict the feed you would be a trillionaire by now... do you mean feed arbitrage or some other form of manipulation?

I think feed prediction is entirely possible because the feed is trailing the actual market. By closely monitoring the delegates' individual feeds it should be possible to predict when a given delegate updates his feed, from what sources he derives the feed price and what his next published price will be. Such prediction will likely be possible a couple of blocks before the publishing, and the accuracy of the predicted price will likely be high compared to the difference between the new price and the previous price published by that delegate.

But since a delegate does not control the price directly I would assume that the predictable price *movement* is too small to be exploitable.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
Right now it looks like we are dependent upon many free sources.

Cryptosmith accepts payment in bitgold/bitsilver so if the silver feed isn't keeping up with the live market I am sure you can see what a issue this will be, not just for myself but any merchant that wants to accept bitassets.

Many sources/greater reliability is what I am advocating here

Will there be a problem to Cryptosmith  when the price feeds are depending on free sources?

Only if those sources go off line.....even if for a short time, the market would keep moving and the feed would not be updated. The longer the period the feed would be off line well the greater the problem.

I believe any decent paid service also will take a average of many markets for any commodity thus giving you a market average.