Author Topic: Follow My Vote * Any Updates  (Read 15699 times)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Blockchain technology is subversive , so it is natural to get blocked at the first show .

Plz keep moving , soldiers!

:)

At least Bytemaster gave them the first showing and first right to reject.
There are a lot of groups who want voting functionality.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Voting faces many road blocks with government.   We do not expect governments to adopt it officially.  The response we have gotten have been one of:

1) Inevitable. I cannot wait until I can use your system.
2) Onlining Voting is fundamentally insecure
3) Your system is illegal for official use (in some states)
4) Claims that it is unconstitutional (it is not)

We are refining our arguments around the following premise:

1) If a system depends upon guarding physical access to hardware or software then the guards can fail and completely compromise the election.
    - a voting machine that does not validate that each user of its interface is globally unique can be compromised.
    - if any closed source hardware or software is required at all the result is not verifiable, forcing a full paper system to be used.
    - paper ballots have been hacked, stuffed, etc since the dawn of time. 

Ran out of time to finish this post...
so .. let's move to a more liberal country? How about sweden, norway, estonia, ...

It might be a better strategy not to focus on traditional nations. What about micronations, what about focusing on voting protocols for DACs? For businesses? Etc?

It might take longer but perhaps governments require your protocol build a long established reputation before they trust it.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline GaltReport

How do we get to see the demo?

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
We had a great demo with a ton of positive connections.   Huge buy in from key players.  Made pitch for bts.

Do you need a demo video for how electronic voting machines can be compromised by back doors ?  I can make one in a few days with a micro electronic development toolkit , like the ones use to control a microwave or the ECU of a car .

I think a video is in order. I think it should be an educational video which visually illustrates (with humor) how current voting systems are vulnerable and what problems Bitshares VOTE is solving. I think it's obvious to us here how electronic voting machines can be compromised but not everyone understands the insecurity.

It's true that Bitshares VOTE can be compromised as well and some of the problems are difficult to solve but how does it compare to other forms of remote voting such as mail in ballots? If mail in ballots can be considered secure enough to use why not online? Or do they think that somehow the mail is inherently secure?

They do have a point that this is new technology, new to the point that government is usually the last people to accept innovation. It will take considerable effort to demonstrate security by example.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:16:33 pm by luckybit »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Voting faces many road blocks with government.   We do not expect governments to adopt it officially.  The response we have gotten have been one of:

1) If a system depends upon guarding physical access to hardware or software then the guards can fail and completely compromise the election.
    - a voting machine that does not validate that each user of its interface is globally unique can be compromised.
    - if any closed source hardware or software is required at all the result is not verifiable, forcing a full paper system to be used.

Wow it sounds like they are disoriented by disinformation and FUD. You can't blame them because they aren't necessarily security experts but they probably believe themselves to be. Education and demonstration are the answer (along with press attention).

1) You have to show them why it's practical, secure and convenient.
2) Online voting/remote voting does have fundamental insecurities but so does any of the other forms of voting. What you have to show is that Bitshares Vote is statistically no more at risk for compromise than current methods. If you can demonstrate that Bitshares Vote/Follow My Vote is more secure than current methods in an array of different ways like how you made the case for Bitshares originally then I think you can get some of the security oriented people to take a closer look.
3) What would make it illegal or legal? I don't understand that argument.
4) I don't see how it is unconstitutional but Diebold is constitutional?

In any case the better route might be to show that it can do voting while accepting certain inherent risks will exist. It's also important to explain how those same risks already exist in electronic voting systems in general (as well as paper ballots) and let them weigh the risks vs benefits of each option.

Your solution does not have to be perfect. It just has to be superior in some ways to what is currently available.

Offline bytemaster

We had a great demo with a ton of positive connections.   Huge buy in from key players.  Made pitch for bts. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

5、A voting system with easy-to-use ID validation service with other applications (business,etc,etc) can increase the registration rate and ultimately lead to higher voting rate . The current voting rate for presidential elections in the United States are roughly the same number as the ones in Afghanistan which they use mules to carry ballot boxes and man and women step on BOMBS and FIRE to vote . That's a huge irony .
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline Overthetop

Blockchain technology is subversive , so it is natural to get blocked at the first show .

Plz keep moving , soldiers!

:)
个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
I just checked out http://followmyvote.com/ for the first time - looks really impressive.

I still dont get how it will leverage a blockchain - will voters have to buy BTS to vote?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

so .. let's move to a more liberal country? How about sweden, norway, estonia, ...
+5% keep up the good work! ...or netherlands or dubai.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline bytemaster

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline myhometalk

• View Profile
I am not sure how long CA gov will need to finish their internal discussion. maybe another 3-5 years. but it is a good showing to public

Offline ssjpts

• View Profile
    • 中国BTC
  • BitShares: coolman
+5%
sounds promising ...

Still coding for bts while here.
:P  +5%
:P +5%
:P +1
新浪微博:剑指未来BTS
BTC:1Bc7gRGotktBmnNFr3BUUM22HFXCCTyxor
BTSX ID:loves,集大众之爱,待到BTS 500刀,10%回退给捐赠者,10%用于运营,剩余80%用于爱心事业和BTS宣传推广。

Offline wuyanren

• View Profile
LOL

@wuyanren: you broke the current   :P +5%

just kidding…
e....sorry

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
LOL

@wuyanren: you broke the current   :P +5%

just kidding…
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline wuyanren

• View Profile
 +5%
+5%
sounds promising ...

Offline joele

• View Profile
+5%
sounds promising ...

Offline Overthetop

+5%
sounds promising ...

个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
+5%
sounds promising ...

Offline consultant

• View Profile
+5%
sounds promising ...

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
+5%
sounds promising ...

Offline 1&0

• 努力总归是好的!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: novia

Offline Musewhale

• 丑,实在是太丑了 !
    • View Profile
MUSE witness:mygoodfriend     vote for me

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline gyhy

• View Profile

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile

Offline bobmaloney

"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
sounds promising ...

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline bytemaster

We have met with several high ranking members of ca government.

We have had a lot of interest and opposition. 

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
On Twitter:

"We just arrived at the Joint New Law Workshop in California!  We are ecstatic to talk about secure online #voting."

+5%  The upcoming Mumble session should be interesting!
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

Offline robrigo

On Twitter:

"We just arrived at the Joint New Law Workshop in California!  We are ecstatic to talk about secure online #voting."

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
Any nuggets to share with Follow My Vote? I know the group is away at the conference all week with BM.
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work