Author Topic: Aggregate Public Opinion Matters  (Read 7931 times)

Offline fuzzy

2) How do we teach the layman of the benefits of our technology?  I have tried many pitches to the general public for this technology.  In order to teach about bitUSD, bitGold...etc, we first need to teach about the differences between fiat and money.  And that is just the beginning of the train wreck that ensues.  However, when I ask people "Do you know, for certain, when you push that little button on the black box next to so and so's name, that you are really voting for him/her?", they intuitively understand.

They can understand it better perhaps. But does that mean they need it? Weirdos like us love this stuff, but I just don't see average people caring one way or another. We need BitUSD.

+5%

I think the world is only going to become a nastier place for those who are relying on the centralized systems.  There has to be a breaking point where people start getting so uncomfortable with the effects of bureaucratic overreach that they start looking for solutions.  In my humble opinion, the hubris of such centralized systems has already sewed the seeds of discontent--and those seeds are growing nicely.  Nearly everyone I talk to (and I talk to approximately 30-40 people a week) seems to feel disconcerted about the current state of affairs.  Oddly enough there is also a very common strain to their concerns--their voice is not heard.  I always make it a point to tell people of the problems (to which they agree)...but I also always make it a point to say "don't worry, the revenge of the nerds has come".  That usually gets a laugh and an opening to write down "bitshares" on a little piece of paper to be handed out. 

I do agree with you that mass adoption will not happen overnight.  But even if it doesn't happen at all...this technology, as long as it exists, will be waiting for the moment when a spark ignites a brushfire.  At the very least, it will remain a specter of liberty, asserting a consistent counterweight to corruption. 

I don't know if you guys pay attention to the news...but people are getting pissed at the level of absolute corruption in the highest echelons of power.  Viewership for CNN, MSNBC and FOX news are at record lows in America while the alternative media is booming. 

I am not saying there are no dangers to those of us who advocate this new technology...in fact I think initially that is what concerns me most.  Freedom fighters throughout history have always had to sacrifice to exemplify the value of liberty.  That is why I advocate our community joining together to get legal funds set up for our own defense--no matter where our users live. 

The powers that be want a "New World Order" they control.  We need a New World Order that the people control.  A NWO is coming regardless...the question is who wants to control it more?  The amazing thing about this tech is that the more we believe in each other, the stronger our consensus becomes around the things that matter.  The more powerful we will all become to make the necessary changes to give the world's power structures back to the people. 

I want this NWO to be run by us.  It will be...the question is only a matter of "how long will it take?"
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:00:48 pm by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline oco101

• View Profile

Give the man a break

Go back and look at my 1000+ posts. I've been more supportive than almost anyone on this board. Some would call me a shill. And I'll continue to be supportive. I just don't see VOTE as any more important than getting BitShares ready. This Vote thing will bring in a few people, but it is experimental or long term at best. For whatever share I have through my AGS donations and all the BTS I've bought, I would vote to put developer time on getting this client ready.

+5% +5%

I disagree. 

1) Voting does not have to be incorporated by the government for it to be extremely beneficial to our ecosystem.  Why?  Because voting is just another word for polling (in a way that is highly resistant to sybil attacks).  Why is polling so valuable?  Consensus...and what does our ecosystem rely on more than anything?  One word--Consensus.  'nuff said on that. 

2) How do we teach the layman of the benefits of our technology?  I have tried many pitches to the general public for this technology.  In order to teach about bitUSD, bitGold...etc, we first need to teach about the differences between fiat and money.  And that is just the beginning of the train wreck that ensues.  However, when I ask people "Do you know, for certain, when you push that little button on the black box next to so and so's name, that you are really voting for him/her?", they intuitively understand.  It is so easy to step into the value of transparency in voting...and from there it is a very small (but powerful) step to expand the conversation to "once this technology is adopted by everyone, we won't even need representatives...because you can vote on the issues that matter to you--directly and transparently" is an easy step to make. 

3) Polling services can make a great deal of money in and of themselves--without real world voting even being attached.

We ignore the value of these things and we are missing a huge representation of value.

I agree. It has been 6 years Bitcoin is out and , as is it right now, it is just drop in ocean on the financial world. There are many reason why this is happening, but the main problem is because there is no mass adoption. People they don't get it or don't really care. People are living their life, if they need meat they go to the butcher if they need money they go to the bank because that's the way the system works since we are born. People generally don't see their banks as a centralizes entity, they see it like a trustworthy place to put their money. People don't have libertarian views by default
Money is same like air you just breath it you don't think about it. So good luck explained them bitUSD.

The killer app in crypto is the one that gets mass adoption, and there is nothing out there yet, but it is coming sooner or later.
For mass adoption  you need something easy to understand and use, something that need not explaining  so you need a Trojan horse for the masses. I think Vote is a very good candidate and Music is the other.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:41:06 pm by oco101 »

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Someone gets it :)

On a theoretical level, so do others. And I hope it works. I'd just put this VOTE thing substantially lower on the scale of what needs to get done. What I don't get is your optimism, in the context of deep cynicism in the system, that average people are going to care (and want become engaged) as much as you do. I wouldn't bet the farm on it. With all this other marketing set to kick in, what we need is a functional client first, bells and whistles later.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
As stated before, we are in ideological adopter mode pre 1.0; pumping BM as a libertarian thought leader would be huge for BitShares.

Let's post bytemaster's OPs to libertarian sub-reddits and other libertarian outlets.
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline NewMine

• View Profile

2) How do we teach the layman of the benefits of our technology?  I have tried many pitches to the general public for this technology.  In order to teach about bitUSD, bitGold...etc, we first need to teach about the differences between fiat and money.  And that is just the beginning of the train wreck that ensues.  However, when I ask people "Do you know, for certain, when you push that little button on the black box next to so and so's name, that you are really voting for him/her?", they intuitively understand.

They can understand it better perhaps. But does that mean they need it? Weirdos like us love this stuff, but I just don't see average people caring one way or another. We need BitUSD.

+5%

Offline bytemaster

So long story short. The bridge to mass adoption is through the VOTE features of BitShares as just explained (IMO of course).
Though the Financial aspect of BitShares is nothing to discount either!!

Ding Ding Ding.  Someone gets it :)
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline BTS007

• View Profile
Aggregate Public Opinion Matters

Whether we like it or not the mob ultimately runs society.  Individual property rights mean nothing in a riot.   If public opinion turns against something nothing can resist it for long, not even the most oppressive governments.  A libertarian utopia is the result of changing public opinion and maintaining public support for universal application of the Golden Principle without exception.     

Unfortunately most people do not form their opinion based upon facts and reason, but instead defer to the opinions of others.  Each and every day people make decisions based upon what they think other people think.   Style, language, morals, religion, politics, and just about everything are heavily influenced by other peoples opinions.   When in doubt most people defer to public opinion over their own opinion and this is the heart of democracy.

Billions of dollars are spent every single year in an effort to shape and then measure the aggregate opinion of the entire population on politics alone.   There is an entire field of study dedicated to the manipulation of pubic opinion for profit.

Some of the more sophisticated techniques of manipulating opinion is by corrupting the measuring and reporting process.   If you can control the major media outlets and continuously show support of a minority opinion over a majority opinion then people will come to believe that the minority opinion is the majority opinion.   This can either be subtle or overt. 

Perhaps one of the most overt attempts to manipulate public opinion is the corruption of “scientific polling” prior to elections or the elections themselves.   As a result of publishing these scientific polls people conclude that some candidates are unelectable while others are extremely popular even if they are not.  If you can manipulate an election then you can change the very constitution of a society while facing limited opposition.

No one likes to be a minority that stands out against the majority.  They will often publicly support the majority opinion even if they privately object.  This creates a self reinforcing cycle that results in the quiet suffering and repression of the majority.

If we are to achieve a libertarian utopia it becomes critical that the market produce an actuate and fully trustworthy measurement of the aggregate opinion.   A private, incorruptible, continuous polling of the population would provide a means for people to feel safe communicating their desire to change the way society operates. 

Fortunately with the combination of the internet and modern cryptography we now have the tools necessary to produce a nearly incorruptible anonymous polling solution.   

I don't like to talk politics, especially when I've had a few drinks... but Bytemaster, this recent comment is spot on!!  +5%

I truly believe everyone, outside of this forum, gets wrapped up with their day-to-day shuffle and don't consciously realize, just how much individual freedom is actually being eroded or taken away from them EVERY SINGLE DAY!!
It truly is a soft tyranny that most Governments (like the U.S.) are engaging on the people, through the means of Media control (some could argue through the education system also) by dumbing down the population and/or shielding themselves while throwing meaningless "media" curve balls and blatant misinformation to the public.
By using these tactics they can therefor gradually strip away the rights, opinions, power and ultimately the voice of the individuals.

Which leads me to respond of my thoughts after reading Bytemasters post...
**edit** sorry for the long post  :P

I, myself... can clearly see how beneficial the BitShares platform is, and will be to everyone around the globe!
I know a lot of us here have the same viewpoint, but in the background it seems to me we're still struggling with the best idea on how to wrap up the BitShare package and present it to the people to adopt. There are so many facets of BitShares in which to work from!!

Do we target people that are...
-Already into Crypto on the other Block chains?
-In the Financial World (Forex/Stock/Commodities Investors)?
-Wanting new ways to spend money or E-Currency?
-Looking to store assets in a decentralized way?
-Looking to transfer assets across country borders (Remittance)?
-In need of financial tools in under developed or oppressive country's?
-etc. etc. etc.

The points I just mentioned almost everyone here is on board with and  are aggressively trying to market it those exact demographics mentioned. But is this the best path? Is this how we should be spending 98% of our time and efforts?

For all tense and purposes, BitShares is a Financial and Social consensus tool.
The back bone for the financial side of the software is pretty much ready to go (especially with the coming updates).
The social side of the software (VOTE or it's equivalent) has a new spark and push behind it. I don't know that for a fact, but I'm sure Dan and team are aggressively tweaking and polishing this aspect of the platform for a reason. And I'd like to express my view point to see if it's on par with what Bytemaster and team have already concluded?!

So if the end goal of all this is to get mass adoption (I'm not trying to tout World Domination  ;D) there are some things to consider for the next big push forward.

I believe most people in the modern world today are complacent (for the most part) with the way they conduct, or interact with their current financial institution.
Now granted, everyone understand it's centralized and all that.
But... with the huge amounts of outstanding debt that's been created in the world today; I'd say it's safe to assume that majority of the people (the ones we want to have explore BitShares) are comfortable using their current financial instruments, why?
Well, the current system allows consumers to disconnect their responsibility for any bad actions or wrong doings (money mismanagement) that may have occurred by the consumer, or the institution itself if it had collapsed or had mismanaged the finances. Are burdens (ie Bankruptcy, Credit damage) associate for such actions? Sure, but most people can restart after a certain period of time and wash away their past irresponsibility. And the cycle can begin all over again.
So basically they, the consumer, can blame their faults on someone or something else for their life misfortunes which inevitably leads to a "comfort level" that money mismanagement is OK and still be able to place blame outside of themselves.
Which lends itself to near 0% risk on the consumers part. There are plenty of centralized businesses that will lend money to high credit risk people!

Now let's get into the Cryptocurrency realm, where the consumer is now 100% responsible for any and all of their financial actions!! No and, ifs or buts!
If someone happens to either loose their private keys, or improperly safe guard their computer and get hacked, or the coin they dumped their money into drops in value and dies off; Who can they go after? Who's going to reimburse their losses? Who are they going to blame? They don't want to blame themselves now do they? LOL
So by trying to push this new tech in the financial sense to the masses, is now asking them to leave their current comfort zone with centralized businesses.
Which will be very difficult to do.

There has to be another avenue to get people to interact with crypto without needing to do a whole paradigm shift, or asking them to move out of there current financial comfort zone.
On top of that there's a century's worth of saturated Banking, Credit Card and other established Financial Institutions in today's market to compete against.
With such a saturated financial market, can BitShares compete... ABSOLUTELY!!
But... it's still a big HUGE task to accomplish this either way you look at it.

Now, I think with BitShares implementing the Voting features, we can now instead pitch that side of the software (especially in light of Lite clients coming out).
Being able to introduce people to crypto through the back door of BitShares, called VOTE, by having them interact in crypto without them even knowing it.
I know Dan along with other team members were in California recently pitching VOTE to government officials along with others participants, but I have to ask, are we trying to go from ground floor to the top in one giant step? Are we biting off more than we can chew by taking that approach? Kinda like trying to kill the Elephant in the room approach?
Yes, it's great that there was strong interest of the protocol and all that BitShares has to offer, but there must be an easier way.

My approach would be this...
Let's take the Social aspect of BitShares (the VOTE functionality) and let's target the mass Social Media outlets with that sublet of the software.
Like Facebook, Google+, Linkedin, MySpace, etc. etc. and get them to see how easy and great it would be to merge the BitShare VOTE function into their platform.
List and name all the benefits and features that the BitShares software could bring to their user base of doing such. The ultimate in real time voter interaction.
Once one of these company's integrate the BitShares decentralized voting, through lite clients, now you get mass user recognition of BitShares along with people wanting to hopefully learn more about decentralization via crypto. You'll be able to put the BitShare name out there, without the consumer (or the masses) having to drastically change their paradigm to be willing to explore more of BitShares. It will seamlessly integrate into their everyday life.
Then when their comfortable with the BitShare name and learn to find out BitShares ALSO includes a robust financial side of the exact same software they've been using... BOOM!!!!

BONUS...and to my knowledge, no other cryptocurrency is able to exploit this avenue to gain mass adoption or recognition!!! Only BitShares has the goods!!!

So long story short. The bridge to mass adoption is through the VOTE features of BitShares as just explained (IMO of course).

But knowing what we know of Bytemaster... I'm sure he's has already thought of this ions ago!!  :D :D :D :D

+5% +5%
BTS ID:bts007

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
1) Voting does not have to be incorporated by the government for it to be extremely beneficial to our ecosystem.  Why?  Because voting is just another word for polling (in a way that is highly resistant to sybil attacks).  Why is polling so valuable?  Consensus...and what does our ecosystem rely on more than anything?  One word--Consensus.  'nuff said on that. 

I think this is a big deal.  It would be a lot easier for us to start out getting a polling service to use our product than an actual government election.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline fuzzy

Give the man a break

Go back and look at my 1000+ posts. I've been more supportive than almost anyone on this board. Some would call me a shill. And I'll continue to be supportive. I just don't see VOTE as any more important than getting BitShares ready. This Vote thing will bring in a few people, but it is experimental or long term at best. For whatever share I have through my AGS donations and all the BTS I've bought, I would vote to put developer time on getting this client ready.

+5% +5%

I disagree. 

2) How do we teach the layman of the benefits of our technology?  I have tried many pitches to the general public for this technology.  In order to teach about bitUSD, bitGold...etc, we first need to teach about the differences between fiat and money.  And that is just the beginning of the train wreck that ensues.  However, when I ask people "Do you know, for certain, when you push that little button on the black box next to so and so's name, that you are really voting for him/her?", they intuitively understand.  It is so easy to step into the value of transparency in voting...and from there it is a very small (but powerful) step to expand the conversation to "once this technology is adopted by everyone, we won't even need representatives...because you can vote on the issues that matter to you--directly and transparently" is an easy step to make. 

3) Polling services can make a great deal of money in and of themselves--without real world voting even being attached.

We ignore the value of these things and we are missing a huge representation of value.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline emailtooaj

Aggregate Public Opinion Matters

Whether we like it or not the mob ultimately runs society.  Individual property rights mean nothing in a riot.   If public opinion turns against something nothing can resist it for long, not even the most oppressive governments.  A libertarian utopia is the result of changing public opinion and maintaining public support for universal application of the Golden Principle without exception.     

Unfortunately most people do not form their opinion based upon facts and reason, but instead defer to the opinions of others.  Each and every day people make decisions based upon what they think other people think.   Style, language, morals, religion, politics, and just about everything are heavily influenced by other peoples opinions.   When in doubt most people defer to public opinion over their own opinion and this is the heart of democracy.

Billions of dollars are spent every single year in an effort to shape and then measure the aggregate opinion of the entire population on politics alone.   There is an entire field of study dedicated to the manipulation of pubic opinion for profit.

Some of the more sophisticated techniques of manipulating opinion is by corrupting the measuring and reporting process.   If you can control the major media outlets and continuously show support of a minority opinion over a majority opinion then people will come to believe that the minority opinion is the majority opinion.   This can either be subtle or overt. 

Perhaps one of the most overt attempts to manipulate public opinion is the corruption of “scientific polling” prior to elections or the elections themselves.   As a result of publishing these scientific polls people conclude that some candidates are unelectable while others are extremely popular even if they are not.  If you can manipulate an election then you can change the very constitution of a society while facing limited opposition.

No one likes to be a minority that stands out against the majority.  They will often publicly support the majority opinion even if they privately object.  This creates a self reinforcing cycle that results in the quiet suffering and repression of the majority.

If we are to achieve a libertarian utopia it becomes critical that the market produce an actuate and fully trustworthy measurement of the aggregate opinion.   A private, incorruptible, continuous polling of the population would provide a means for people to feel safe communicating their desire to change the way society operates. 

Fortunately with the combination of the internet and modern cryptography we now have the tools necessary to produce a nearly incorruptible anonymous polling solution.   

I don't like to talk politics, especially when I've had a few drinks... but Bytemaster, this recent comment is spot on!!  +5%

I truly believe everyone, outside of this forum, gets wrapped up with their day-to-day shuffle and don't consciously realize, just how much individual freedom is actually being eroded or taken away from them EVERY SINGLE DAY!!
It truly is a soft tyranny that most Governments (like the U.S.) are engaging on the people, through the means of Media control (some could argue through the education system also) by dumbing down the population and/or shielding themselves while throwing meaningless "media" curve balls and blatant misinformation to the public.
By using these tactics they can therefor gradually strip away the rights, opinions, power and ultimately the voice of the individuals.

Which leads me to respond of my thoughts after reading Bytemasters post...
**edit** sorry for the long post  :P

I, myself... can clearly see how beneficial the BitShares platform is, and will be to everyone around the globe!
I know a lot of us here have the same viewpoint, but in the background it seems to me we're still struggling with the best idea on how to wrap up the BitShare package and present it to the people to adopt. There are so many facets of BitShares in which to work from!!

Do we target people that are...
-Already into Crypto on the other Block chains?
-In the Financial World (Forex/Stock/Commodities Investors)?
-Wanting new ways to spend money or E-Currency?
-Looking to store assets in a decentralized way?
-Looking to transfer assets across country borders (Remittance)?
-In need of financial tools in under developed or oppressive country's?
-etc. etc. etc.

The points I just mentioned almost everyone here is on board with and  are aggressively trying to market it those exact demographics mentioned. But is this the best path? Is this how we should be spending 98% of our time and efforts?

For all tense and purposes, BitShares is a Financial and Social consensus tool.
The back bone for the financial side of the software is pretty much ready to go (especially with the coming updates).
The social side of the software (VOTE or it's equivalent) has a new spark and push behind it. I don't know that for a fact, but I'm sure Dan and team are aggressively tweaking and polishing this aspect of the platform for a reason. And I'd like to express my view point to see if it's on par with what Bytemaster and team have already concluded?!

So if the end goal of all this is to get mass adoption (I'm not trying to tout World Domination  ;D) there are some things to consider for the next big push forward.

I believe most people in the modern world today are complacent (for the most part) with the way they conduct, or interact with their current financial institution.
Now granted, everyone understand it's centralized and all that.
But... with the huge amounts of outstanding debt that's been created in the world today; I'd say it's safe to assume that majority of the people (the ones we want to have explore BitShares) are comfortable using their current financial instruments, why?
Well, the current system allows consumers to disconnect their responsibility for any bad actions or wrong doings (money mismanagement) that may have occurred by the consumer, or the institution itself if it had collapsed or had mismanaged the finances. Are burdens (ie Bankruptcy, Credit damage) associate for such actions? Sure, but most people can restart after a certain period of time and wash away their past irresponsibility. And the cycle can begin all over again.
So basically they, the consumer, can blame their faults on someone or something else for their life misfortunes which inevitably leads to a "comfort level" that money mismanagement is OK and still be able to place blame outside of themselves.
Which lends itself to near 0% risk on the consumers part. There are plenty of centralized businesses that will lend money to high credit risk people!

Now let's get into the Cryptocurrency realm, where the consumer is now 100% responsible for any and all of their financial actions!! No and, ifs or buts!
If someone happens to either loose their private keys, or improperly safe guard their computer and get hacked, or the coin they dumped their money into drops in value and dies off; Who can they go after? Who's going to reimburse their losses? Who are they going to blame? They don't want to blame themselves now do they? LOL
So by trying to push this new tech in the financial sense to the masses, is now asking them to leave their current comfort zone with centralized businesses.
Which will be very difficult to do.

There has to be another avenue to get people to interact with crypto without needing to do a whole paradigm shift, or asking them to move out of there current financial comfort zone.
On top of that there's a century's worth of saturated Banking, Credit Card and other established Financial Institutions in today's market to compete against.
With such a saturated financial market, can BitShares compete... ABSOLUTELY!!
But... it's still a big HUGE task to accomplish this either way you look at it.

Now, I think with BitShares implementing the Voting features, we can now instead pitch that side of the software (especially in light of Lite clients coming out).
Being able to introduce people to crypto through the back door of BitShares, called VOTE, by having them interact in crypto without them even knowing it.
I know Dan along with other team members were in California recently pitching VOTE to government officials along with others participants, but I have to ask, are we trying to go from ground floor to the top in one giant step? Are we biting off more than we can chew by taking that approach? Kinda like trying to kill the Elephant in the room approach?
Yes, it's great that there was strong interest of the protocol and all that BitShares has to offer, but there must be an easier way.

My approach would be this...
Let's take the Social aspect of BitShares (the VOTE functionality) and let's target the mass Social Media outlets with that sublet of the software.
Like Facebook, Google+, Linkedin, MySpace, etc. etc. and get them to see how easy and great it would be to merge the BitShare VOTE function into their platform.
List and name all the benefits and features that the BitShares software could bring to their user base of doing such. The ultimate in real time voter interaction.
Once one of these company's integrate the BitShares decentralized voting, through lite clients, now you get mass user recognition of BitShares along with people wanting to hopefully learn more about decentralization via crypto. You'll be able to put the BitShare name out there, without the consumer (or the masses) having to drastically change their paradigm to be willing to explore more of BitShares. It will seamlessly integrate into their everyday life.
Then when their comfortable with the BitShare name and learn to find out BitShares ALSO includes a robust financial side of the exact same software they've been using... BOOM!!!!

BONUS...and to my knowledge, no other cryptocurrency is able to exploit this avenue to gain mass adoption or recognition!!! Only BitShares has the goods!!!

But knowing what we know of Bytemaster... I'm sure he's has already thought of this ions ago!!  :D :D :D :D

Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

Give the man a break

+5% +5%
+5%

zerosum

Give the man a break

+5% +5%

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
 +5%

Time to capture the Libertarians with utopic visions. Great fun ahead! Did we have a Libertarian reading list yet? I certainly need one - the more philosophical the better.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I also see a potential for Bitshares to eventually be used for prediction markets, which I think tie into this. 
Is this possible?  Part of the eventual plan?

Would the existence of price feeds give us an advantage in providing a prediction market, over what you could do with coins like Ripple and NXT?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads