Author Topic: Beyond Bitcoin Hangouts -- Delegate Poll  (Read 3641 times)

Offline graffenwalder

Let me start by thanking you for all the work you've done for BTS since day one, the hangouts give a deep insight into BTS. Sometimes I feel they give more info, than all posts combined in this forum.

The problem I personally have with delegates, is that I find it hard to estimate a value.
If there was a delegate handing out apples, or bitusd. And we knew how much they were spending, giving away than this would make it more easy.
At current marketcap I think that the devs surely deserve a 100% delegate, but if the marketcap were to get tenfold. What would the number be, we would be satisfied with?
I would like delegates to include this in their proposals, if we hit a X marketcap the percentage would go down to Y etc....

Now coming back to your proposal, i certainly think you bring value to BTS, but again it's hard to put a number on it. Somehow 100% feels like to much, so I'm going to vote no. But I would like to see you as a delegate. I hope others can give their insight on how much they value you.

Thinking about this, brothels should have their own BTSchain, they would be much easier to value :)

Edit: because of fluctuations delegates could get screwed by this proposal. Maybe it could be possible to peg the percentage to a certain price
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:56:02 pm by Graffenwalder »

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
if not you, who should we elect?

But it would be good to have some planned numbers how you want to use the funds.

Offline fuzzy

1) Delegate Landscape:
If I were to run a delegate at a high pay rate, it would first cost approximately 65,000 for a registration fee (not accounting for upkeep and server costs).  This would mean that at a 100% pay rate, it would take about 2 weeks to break even with respect to the registration fee.  Of course, running at a lower % would take longer to reach a level where earned BTS is held as profit:

100%  2 weeks
75%    3 Weeks
50%    4 Weeks (1 month)
25%    8 Weeks (2 months)
10%    20 Weeks (5 months)

If I were to run a delegate, however, I would be splitting the fees to pay those who have up to this point largely volunteered their time for little else but tips(which may include you!).  So whatever pay rate accepted would be split among a small team with me being the signatory on said payments.  My track record will show that I am more than capable of ensuring they receive payment for their help in our community-driven efforts. 

2) Examining the Value Proposition:
So then the next question of importance would be "What would a 100% delegate buy shareholders?"

2a) Currently we hold a weekly hangout with Bytemaster with a format that gives shareholders a voice.  I moderate and ask questions for those interested in participating but either too shy to ask questions, have no mic, or cannot make it to the live event due to real life issues.  Naturally, I also like to talk--so when there is noone interested in asking questions, I have a number of questions of pertinence to myself.

2b) It is also a plan (if I can make this sustainable) to expand to BTS hangouts to cover forks that honor PTS/AGS/BTS holders--naturally, with the stipulation that the developer(s) are interested in gaining trust that their fork is not an attempted scam (i.e. willing to subject themselves to at least biweekly sessions with shareholders). 

2c) Delegate hangouts first for BTS, and then for other BTS-honoring chains for the same reasons of transparency and trust as for the above initiatives.

2d) Hangouts with the community marketing team to help the community grow closer and more engaged with the marketing initiatives being pushed.

2e) Hangouts with service providers who would like to offer their services to our community.

2f) As marketcap increases and the value of delegate funding grows with it, the potential initiation of bounty initiatives to pay the community for quality written content based off of our initiative.

2g)  As the number of legitimate chains grows and innovation in the DPOS space deepens, expansion of hangouts into virtual conferences...where multiple developers, service providers...etc can sign up to speak with investors, each other and crypto-journalists from across the broad cryptosphere. 

Being (sustainably) paid by the ecosystem ensures I and those who work for me can provide these services without seeking payment from outside interests.  This helps ensure that the products we create are non-biased--or at the very least biased toward helping this ecosystem as opposed to competitor's ecosystems.  This means that we have our own internal, community-driven media avenue where you are ensured to have a voice.  This also means that we create incentives for future competitors to sharedrop on our shareholders as they will gain direct access to our shareholders in a way that brings a sense of legitimacy to their project---something altcoin [ANN]'s on bitcointalk can never compete with.  This is something completely unique to the bitshares ecosystem.

The Poll Question
Knowing these plans and the current landscape for those interested in running delegates, would you vote for a 100% paid delegate if I invested the funds to get one set up and running?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:44:26 pm by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D