Author Topic: Disappointment and Hope - Delegates, Unite!  (Read 4989 times)

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
I've repeated over and over that most people are not voting to keep their funds safe.

Next version will have voter keys and we will start making voting a much bigger part of the culture.

I am looking forward to this feature rolling out.  And yes, delegates unite!  +5%
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I for example can not install / run .26 because
Large memory requirements during re-indexing and resyncing. At least 4GB RAM is recommended (swap file is not sufficient). Less RAM can cause freezing and crashes
since my client with my funds is on a vm with max. 2gb ram. source: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/releases/tag/v0.4.26
I didn't attempt to update it therefore.
If it is all easier and faster voting participation will also go up I think.

That wasn't actually true, you can re-index and sync just fine with 512mb RAM and a swap. Compiling is another matter though.
I have .24 atm. So the only way to update is compile newly right? So won't work?

You can always compile on another computer with sufficient RAM and then copy the executable to your VPS, that's what I do.
Copying files from an insecure computer to a secure one sounds risky to me. The whole purpose of using a VM is to do only one thing per VM (trading, BTS storage, etc).

Offline lafona

• View Profile
  • BitShares: lafona
Large memory requirements during re-indexing and resyncing. At least 4GB RAM is recommended (swap file is not sufficient). Less RAM can cause freezing and crashes
since my client with my funds is on a vm with max. 2gb ram. source: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/releases/tag/v0.4.26

That wasn't actually true, you can re-index and sync just fine with 512mb RAM and a swap. Compiling is another matter though.
I have .24 atm. So the only way to update is compile newly right? So won't work?

You can always compile on another computer with sufficient RAM and then copy the executable to your VPS, that's what I do.

I have done the same thing with the chain to prevent issues with syncing and re indexing. Open updated client on computer with more RAM, let chain sync, close client, and copy over the chain folder. It takes a little while but seems to be working fine on VPS with 1 gb RAM.

I agree with the original post. It is currently very hard to get a new delegate voted in. With the number of feeds published, there should be plenty of room for good healthy competition. I'm excited to see how the new voting password helps.
BTS Witnesses: delegate-1.lafona     Witness Thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21569.msg280911/topicseen.html#msg280911
MUSE Witness: lafona

Offline svk

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Markus

• View Profile
Allowing collateral to vote would increase my weight quite a bit :)
I heard it's going to be included soon.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
The voting is badly broken. Apparently, they're working on making it better.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
We really need 1 website where we can browse delegates, click their names and have...

• The mission of that delegate
  • Weekly, biweekly, monthly, etc. updates/results
  • Other delegate info such as pay rate, produce, missed etc.

It could easily be added to this.
http://www.bitsharesblocks.com/delegates

Hopefully svk would consider adding this. The forum is a great place to get elected but we need a place where we can see what the 101 delegates are up to.
^^^We need this. It's hard to keep track of all the people and what they are doing if you are not super active on the forums. Having everything organised in one place will help with voting.
Also a nice feature would be a delegate having the ability to recommend another delegate. So say on toast's or BM's delegate page they could have a list of other delegates they recommend.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
I voted for you!

For community votes you need time, because all people need a feeling about you.

@toast a reminder pls publish feeds. I don't get it why you don't do it!

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
You gave me an idea...
They should implement a future that stop's paying delegates if  they don't publish at least x feeds per day... (independent of their payrate)

Good idea. If delegates don't publish feeds, BTS earned should be burned as dividends maybe?

Offline svk

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:43:19 pm by delulo »

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
What frustrates me the most is seeing the _11_ init delegates not publishing feeds, pulling 3% fees.

You gave me an idea...
They should implement a future that stop's paying delegates if  they don't publish at least x feeds per day... (independent of their payrate)

Offline matt608

• View Profile
I've repeated over and over that most people are not voting to keep their funds safe.

Next version will have voter keys and we will start making voting a much bigger part of the culture.

+5%

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
that's really sad, i feel with you!

+5%

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█