Author Topic: What is BitShares?  (Read 5597 times)

Offline bytemaster

A bit nitpicky, but I think this article's title should have a question-mark at the end.

Two steps ahead of you.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
A bit nitpicky, but I think this article's title should have a question-mark at the end.

jakub

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
It's a great read!! Especially the part about the bank.

Little feedback:

This means all dispute resolution and law enforcement will be managed by the BitShares community
That sounds a little scary and "imperialistic". It might be the opposite of imperialistic but since the reader might not have the understanding you assume it sounds like you want to take over the world with BitShares and rule everyone :)

Offline mint chocolate chip

Posted on BitSharesBlog about the existence of the Bytemaster's Blog by BitShares Founder Daniel Larimer.

Keep up the good word.

Offline cn-members

• View Profile
http://bytemaster.github.io/update/2014/12/18/What-is-BitShares.html

Answering the question “What is BitShares?” has been one of the most difficult challenges I have faced. BitShares is so many things to different people and there are a thousand different ways of understanding what BitShares is. This post will tell you what BitShares is to me, its founder. Before getting into the long-answer to this question, let me give you the executive summary. BitShares is one of the most important tools that any community can use to secure their freedom; an idea whose time has come. After reading this post I bet you will agree.

I sent it to my brother who found it a bit hard to understand, in particular he got hung up on this phrase: " Whereas normal banks use illiquid assets to back (collateralize) debt payable on demand, BitShares uses highly liquid BTS as collateral". Maybe you could expand upon this phrase to explain what kind of assets back the debt in the traditional system, and why they are illiquid compared to BTS.

Banks often accepts real estates as collateral , real estates are highly illiquid assets , banks can't find a buyer willing to pay cash for a house in a short period of time with so-called "current market price" . 
BTS中文区发言人公共账号,帮助社区有效沟通与交流。
Chinese Community Spokesman Account,to help the effective communication between Chinese and other members of the community.We're not translators to do regular translations , but will help with vital ones as we see fit and available at that time.

Offline mint chocolate chip

edit needed: About page http://bytemaster.github.io/about/ has a 'my' instead of a 'me' in the one sentence you wrote.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

Answering the question “What is BitShares?” has been one of the most difficult challenges I have faced. BitShares is so many things to different people and there are a thousand different ways of understanding what BitShares is. This post will tell you what BitShares is to me, its founder. Before getting into the long-answer to this question, let me give you the executive summary. BitShares is one of the most important tools that any community can use to secure their freedom; an idea whose time has come. After reading this post I bet you will agree.

Do you do speed BM?  This is a (partially) serious question.  I have absolutely no clue how you can do so much with such limited time without going with zero sleep.  It is even a stretch under that circumstance....

BM = byte *the* machine, isn't it!? ;)

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline fuzzy

Do you do speed BM?  This is a (partially) serious question.  I have absolutely no clue how you can do so much with such limited time without going with zero sleep.  It is even a stretch under that circumstance....
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline svk

I sent it to my brother who found it a bit hard to understand, in particular he got hung up on this phrase: " Whereas normal banks use illiquid assets to back (collateralize) debt payable on demand, BitShares uses highly liquid BTS as collateral". Maybe you could expand upon this phrase to explain what kind of assets back the debt in the traditional system, and why they are illiquid compared to BTS.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Geneko

• View Profile
The massage is so powerful. It provides picture with so clear and easy understanding of idea of a better world that floods with so strong positive emotions. I am afraid we are going to lose excellent developer but we are going to get exceptional marketing guru :D

Offline svk

Excellent blog, thank you BM. I looked at the blog overview and strangely enough there's a blog post from 2007 by Steve Pavlina showing up as the first post on the blog (before your Genesis post), is it supposed to be there?
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Markus

• View Profile
Great post, I especially like this one:

Dollar denominated debt collateralized by BTS.

It's the most concise explanation of BitUSD I've come across.

Offline theoretical

Absolutely fantastic! Lucid, concise and comprehensive.

This material should feature prominently on the main website.

This is brilliant, the best overview of BitShares I've seen.

YES!

This post is amazing.  We need to promote this on every libertarian reddit, blog, site, etc that there is!

Behind every great author is a great editor :)  https://github.com/bytemaster/bytemaster.github.io/pull/1

Now if only I could convince him to put line breaks in the Markdown source more than once per paragraph...
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Great post BM! I can feel the love :)