Author Topic: Introducing BitShares Object Graph  (Read 14264 times)

Offline bubble789

• View Profile
I assume this is one of the final pieces before we have the final 1.0 protocol. Am i right?

Offline bytemaster

brag is much more easy than doing.

New year is coming.

where is pts, bts and dns? where is the new wallet.

where is vote, music, play?

Don't make any promise before you have done it...

There is no brag.  PTS/DNS were killed by official i3 support.

Some people like discussion before it is implemented.  If you do not feel you can come up with something worth adding to the discussion then excercise your option of listening and not just opening your mouth?

It is already implemented on the test network. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline muse-umum

• BitShares everything
    • View Profile
groundbreaking and thought provoking!  +5%

u mistyped primtive btw.

Ethereum stuck to primitives or assembly.. And a double directed graph would cut down dev costs and ease of use on primitives.. however the million dollar question is: Is there a case you can think of where you would not want to use a graph but use primitives to solve a problem?

I guess vitalik assumes others will build on top if there is a market todo so while we give a leg up on beginners to solve problems quicker but if its a subset of problems then there is a case for primitives or assembly still.  That is when will flexibility of primitives be needed in this context where a graph wouldnt work for a layman?

It's also possible that Vitalik simply over looked this. Building something like Ethereum is hard but I think if you're going to build a scripting language you need to make it high level. Right now they have scripting but as a person who can read several programming languages their scripting is awkward and low level.

I think now that they have the resources the Ethereum team should make a scripting language as much like Python or Javascript as possible. You want something which has minimal syntax for people to learn and which is powerful enough to do the job. Python is good as a scripting language because it's powerful but the syntax is very simple.

Serpent is supposed to be like Python and it's getting closer but it's not quite there. I think the competition between Bitshares and Ethereum should be on making it easy to develop for. Whichever DAC is easier to develop for will certainly win over my attention and I would think most people who aren't rock star developers at the same way.

C++ is not the language people will want to mess with when dealing with people's money. Javascript on the other hand is easy and so is Python. If it is easy people will feel confident enough to write code and if projects can be completed in weeks instead of months people will be more likely to make time to do it.

They have serpent and solidity working and full IDEs in development. We will not beat them as a smart contract platform unless we outgrow them first. More likely we will just pull in their VM once both of our systems are more mature.

We are basically all-in on BitAsset adoption and very basic financial services.

If we are all-in on bitassets then shouldn't our priority be to get the protocol stable so we can launch 1.0 and have no further hard forks a for a long time? Only then will we be able to get gateways, our biggest priority.

We already have the killer app, but it's super difficult to get hold of because gateways don't want to integrate with us because our system is still unstable. I think we should have just focused on getting the last UIA changes implemented, and then only focus on UX for the next 6 months for the amazing products we already have. We don't need scripting in the short term, there's not any evidence in the market that it's actually profitable or useful, only hype.

I dont think we should be beginning on working on even more complicated stuff now if it doesn't actually give us any marketing advantage over ethereum. It makes no sense from a business perspective. We need to get our product ready, and then launch it.
+5%

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
If we are all-in on bitassets then shouldn't our priority be to get the protocol stable so we can launch 1.0 and have no further hard forks a for a long time? Only then will we be able to get gateways, our biggest priority.

We already have the killer app, but it's super difficult to get hold of because gateways don't want to integrate with us because our system is still unstable. I think we should have just focused on getting the last UIA changes implemented, and then only focus on UX for the next 6 months for the amazing products we already have. We don't need scripting in the short term, there's not any evidence in the market that it's actually profitable or useful, only hype.

I dont think we should be beginning on working on even more complicated stuff now if it doesn't actually give us any marketing advantage over ethereum. It makes no sense from a business perspective. We need to get our product ready, and then launch it.

I agree 100%.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Rune

• View Profile

u mistyped primtive btw.

Ethereum stuck to primitives or assembly.. And a double directed graph would cut down dev costs and ease of use on primitives.. however the million dollar question is: Is there a case you can think of where you would not want to use a graph but use primitives to solve a problem?

I guess vitalik assumes others will build on top if there is a market todo so while we give a leg up on beginners to solve problems quicker but if its a subset of problems then there is a case for primitives or assembly still.  That is when will flexibility of primitives be needed in this context where a graph wouldnt work for a layman?

It's also possible that Vitalik simply over looked this. Building something like Ethereum is hard but I think if you're going to build a scripting language you need to make it high level. Right now they have scripting but as a person who can read several programming languages their scripting is awkward and low level.

I think now that they have the resources the Ethereum team should make a scripting language as much like Python or Javascript as possible. You want something which has minimal syntax for people to learn and which is powerful enough to do the job. Python is good as a scripting language because it's powerful but the syntax is very simple.

Serpent is supposed to be like Python and it's getting closer but it's not quite there. I think the competition between Bitshares and Ethereum should be on making it easy to develop for. Whichever DAC is easier to develop for will certainly win over my attention and I would think most people who aren't rock star developers at the same way.

C++ is not the language people will want to mess with when dealing with people's money. Javascript on the other hand is easy and so is Python. If it is easy people will feel confident enough to write code and if projects can be completed in weeks instead of months people will be more likely to make time to do it.

They have serpent and solidity working and full IDEs in development. We will not beat them as a smart contract platform unless we outgrow them first. More likely we will just pull in their VM once both of our systems are more mature.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
http://bytemaster.bitshares.org/article/2014/12/24/Introducing-BitShares-Object-Graph/
+5% This is excellent and of bigger importance than most people realize.

I follow all of the major crypto tech quite closely and I can say without reservation that Bitshares is in a completely different league.

How is it the market completely ignores these types of announcements? I immediately bought more BTS, most folks sold.

Huh?

Offline wackou

wow, just wow! Taking the 2 technologies from the last 10 years that really got me interested (graph db and blockchain) and merging them together, what an incredible christmas gift! :D

Can't say how excited I am and impatient to see what people will be able to come up with using this new, groundbreaking platform upon which to build things. 2015 will be awesome!
Please vote for witness wackou! More info at http://digitalgaia.io

Offline seusnow

• View Profile
brag is much more easy than doing.

New year is coming.

where is pts, bts and dns? where is the new wallet.

where is vote, music, play?

Don't make any promise before you have done it...

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

CoffeeScript is even easier.  It is basically 1 for 1 with JavaScript and gets rid of most of the unnecessary work.

More people know Javascript but generally you want the syntax and development process to be as simple as possible.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline idealist

• View Profile
I'm a FileMaker database developer.  This sounds a lot like the way FileMaker stores relationships in a relationship graph.

Very cool that this will be part of Bitshares!

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile

CoffeeScript is even easier.  It is basically 1 for 1 with JavaScript and gets rid of most of the unnecessary work.
I gotta learn that one
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline jamesc

Offline jamesc

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

u mistyped primtive btw.

Is this due to lack of resources? That is the only advantage they seem to have right now.

They do have the VM and will be first to market with scripting but all that does is allow the Bitshares team to take their best ideas and one up them. The only reasons I can see this not happening is resource constraints or time constraints.

Solidity is interesting. Was not aware of that.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

u mistyped primtive btw.

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.