Author Topic: BitShares.TV #4  (Read 2834 times)

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
You are right.  that was a couple of pretty epic responses.   I am a hardcore libertarian and that is pretty much the most eloquent vision I have ever heard.  And thanks to my involvement with bitshares I even think it is attainable.
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo
I listened to this one again. Dan's comments about his philosophy and the future of the block chain are worth rereading. Impromptu partial transcript below:

Max Wright: Share for us what your idea of the philosophy of freedom and the philosophy that you brought to bitshares….

Dan Larimer: The philosophy of freedom, for me, is all about “don’t do unto other people what you don’t want other people doing to you.” That’s the non-aggression principle. But if you apply that consistently, you can derive my entire worldview and philosophy. I use technology as a means of reaching the ends. A means of reaching that freedom, that ideal, of implementing that technology in society. There are a lot of places online where Libertarians rant, “the government is doing this, the government is doing that. Let’s petition them, let’s ask them, let’s beg them.” Some people say that we should fight violently and overthrow them. But I am very much of the mindset that the free market needs to be able to provide security--needs to be able to protect our life, liberty and property against all aggressors. That means that the free market needs to produce solutions that can protect us against today’s governments, without requiring that today’s governments disappear first. The solution needs to be so powerful and so effective that they work today, even in the middle of what many people consider to be a “big brother” government, a “1984” surveillance society.

Max Wright: Let’s talk about where this technology is going.

Dan Larimer: Where the Internet and block chain technology can take us as a society, where every transaction you do is settled on a block chain. Where every dispute that you have is resolved on a block chain. Where your reputation and identity are managed on a block chain.  Where your voting happens on a block chain. And where all laws -- that you agree to follow -- you can sign to, and post it on a block chain. Whenever you go to do business with someone, you bump your phones together and it verifies that you've got compatible arbitration agreements automatically. And when you make that purchase, you've got a signed record, a signed receipt of what it is that you are buying and what terms you agree to. So you've got these verifiable, provable signatures, you've got built-in arbitration, you are only accountable to your own laws, and every member of society can be bonded by posting a bond on the block chain in security against compliance with the laws that you have agreed to follow. And all of this stuff can be done in an entirely voluntary manner that does not depend upon initiating force or violence against anyone. It can be done in an entirely legal way because it only depends upon free speech and voluntary association. So I envision that block chain technology will allow us to create a world where the incentives for being part of the... block chain community, that the efficiencies you gain are so strong, that your profits are so much higher, that being rejected or shunned by that community forces you to deal with people outside it -- people who have to charge higher fees, require security deposits for your utilities, for your rent, everything under the sun. The cost of doing business outside the system will be higher than the cost inside the system. I can see this creating a self-reinforcing virtuous cycle, where the more people that join and participate and start doing commerce entirely on a block chain -- merchants and consumers -- never having to lead back to the fiat world. You’ll start to see a growing snowball effect until it gets to the point that no one will dare being a government official because they would be excluded because they are participating in the initiation of violence against others. So these things are possible. I believe there is a solution. I do not believe that violence is a necessary response to violence -- that you must create governments in order to have law and order. I believe that good people don’t have to resort to bad things just because bad people exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wczMKASQk6s
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:51:57 am by werneo »

Offline fuzzy

I love these...

Can you get me a 31x250 Image so I can link to your Channel in Mumble?

These are perfect for sending to people when you are trying to explain how amazing DPOS is but all they want is documentation of legitimacy.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline RenaudGagne

• View Profile
It was powerful. I much prefer the idea of a "silent" revolution than bomb and mobs taking over parlement. Revolution born in violence rarely brings peace and prosperity.

My question for a future episode would be:

What can we expect to see rollout 2015?

I would love to be on the show one day but I am just getting to know bitshares and I am not a dev. I am mostly interested in being evangelical about BITUSD/BITGOLD/etc.  ;-)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 04:41:09 pm by RenaudGagne »

Offline matt608

• View Profile
 +5%

Good stuff.  Better than episode 1 + 2 I think, episode 3 is my favourite so far.  The speech BM made starting at 6mins-7.53mins was powerful, maybe even worth editing into its own video?  Just a 1.53second long video, "The philosophy of BitShares in 2 minutes".  If I was pointing new people to BitShares videos I'd send them to that and then to episode 3 + bitshares 101 book.

The shorter 20 min length vs 30 mins is an improvement I think and the presenting was a bit better with more variation in voice tone + genuine enthusiasm.  And BM saying "thank you for having me" is good - professional + polite way to be on a show.

Onc other idea, I noticed someone walk in the background when BM was talking, which made me think that one way to give more weight to everything BM says is to have some of the team on display in the background.  Like on news channels where they show 'their people' working away behind a glass wall, so the presence of the team behind the speaker is felt without actually needing to make any reference to them.  Just an idea, rather than it being speaking to a guy on his own in a office room, could be more powerful if people see there is a team behind him (literally).   

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Did you like the shorter format?  I cut 10 minutes out this morning.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
 +5% Good video, I don't agree with the whole philosophy but I thought a passionate soundbite at 2:45 was great -

"The free market needs to produce solutions that can protect us against today's governments without requiring today's government's to disappear first. The solutions need to be so powerful and effective that they work today even in the middle of what many people would consider big brother government, 1984 level surveillance society."

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
Great video.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Tuck Fheman

Offline kisa

• View Profile
Great episode. Really enjoyed this one! Thanks Max and Dan  +5%
agree  +5%

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Great episode. Really enjoyed this one! Thanks Max and Dan  +5%

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Episode 4 released! Where can blockchain technology take us?

Check it out and share far and wide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wczMKASQk6s&list=UUhtICzF0ZEhhgoMA8YWhULw

I suggest this link if you post it to a bitoin site. (It starts a few minutes into the interview when bitcoin is getting lots of love.  You will not get voted down for posting it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wczMKASQk6s&list=UUhtICzF0ZEhhgoMA8YWhULw#t=539

This video will also be very popular with Libertarians. Just post the whole video to a libertarian site.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wczMKASQk6s&list=UUhtICzF0ZEhhgoMA8YWhULw

Who would like to be on next weeks episode?  PM me