Author Topic: Please, avoid sexism in your (public) writing.  (Read 2821 times)

merockstar

I think anyone who thinks "he/his" is an inappropriate default should also feel that "she/her," is inappropriate for the same reasons.

However, I don't think it really matters all that much. What's more important is that the point being made is clear.

Offline fuzzy

Hi,

Equality and being inclusive is part of the bitshares that attracts many.

Yet, for example, a developer is often referred to as 'he' and 'his'.

Although, you might consider it as reflective,
it can easily become 'projective' as in the latest newsletter:

An artist can either go to iTunes or Spotify where he is just another drop in the ocean or he can come to PeerTracks where we can pretty much guarantee he will be listened to by a ton of incentivized users looking for a future star.

... the artist can up-sell his fans ...

thus excluding half of human population and violating equality and inclusive ideals of bitshares and scaring people off.

Some practices to avoid sexism:
1) use plural pronouns: "The developers have dreams. They want to bring equality to people."
2) use 'he or she': "A developer may easily be hired by the bitshares blockchain. He or she just need to ..."

Thanks.

Where is the vomit icon when you need it?

Sorry bitmarket, you just made it too necessary...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:12:51 pm by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Hi,

An artist can either go to iTunes or Spotify where he is just another drop in the ocean or he can come to PeerTracks where we can pretty much guarantee he will be listened to by a ton of incentivized users looking for a future star.

thus excluding half of human population and violating equality and inclusive ideals of bitshares and scaring people off.

1) use plural pronouns: "The developers have dreams. They want to bring equality to people."
2) use 'he or she': "A developer may easily be hired by the bitshares blockchain. He or she just need to ..."

Thanks.

Where is the vomit icon when you need it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:55:48 pm by bitmarket »
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline onceuponatime

To the infamous "soup nazi" has now been added the almost equally dreaded "pronoun nazi".

Way to go with generating a controversy where there was none.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
While the intentions of saying "she" everywhere may be good, I think this may actually bring more attention to the irony that there are very, very few females (if any at all) that they are referring to, and be interpreted as tongue-in-cheek.

Offline mike623317

• View Profile

I dont ever recall reading a post with that sort of intentional discrimination. I think everybody here does a good job of being respectful and no imposing their views on others.

Peddle your PC nonsense elsewhere IMHO

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Hi,

Thanks.

I've tried those practices, and they technically achieve your goal, but at the expense of easy-flowing prose... especially the dreaded "he or she" or avoiding pronouns everywhere.  "They" works in practice but it is really a mis-use of the plural. 

I finally decided to try to use the feminine everywhere.

Men don't care.
Some women do.

Always use "she" and make everyone happy.  :)

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
I'm curious, do you know of any female blockchain or bitcoin developers?
Interestingly, BM often refers to developers as a "she" in his writings already. IMO it's perfectly fine and natural to default to referring to calling unknown people by your own gender.

Logically from your posts, the answer is bytemaster.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Interestingly, BM often refers to developers as a "she" in his writings already.

All PC and personal motives aside, this is truely in the interest of bitshareholders.
The attitude we all should adopt.

'a developer and his skills' just ain't gonna cut to quadruple the market cap.

I'm curious, do you know of any female blockchain or bitcoin developers?

Offline fundomatic

• View Profile
Interestingly, BM often refers to developers as a "she" in his writings already.

All PC and personal motives aside, this is truely in the interest of bitshareholders.
The attitude we all should adopt.

'a developer and his skills' just ain't gonna cut to quadruple the market cap.

Offline James212

• View Profile
Interestingly, BM often refers to developers as a "she" in his writings already. IMO it's perfectly fine and natural to default to referring to calling unknown people by your own gender. I won't get mad if a female poster or blogger uses "she" in all examples either.

+5%
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Interestingly, BM often refers to developers as a "she" in his writings already. IMO it's perfectly fine and natural to default to referring to calling unknown people by your own gender. I won't get mad if a female poster or blogger uses "she" in all examples either.

Offline fundomatic

• View Profile
Hi,

Thanks.