Author Topic: Default Vote for Core Devs???  (Read 24946 times)

Xeldal

Default should be a clean no vote.

I don't mind a dialog box upon install, a one time option, asking to add core devs individually to my wallet vote, but they should definitely be off by default.

chryspano

I'd just go with a yes/no dialog in the next wallet version on first launch.

"Would you like default votes set to support the developer team?"

Or something to that effect.  Doing it silently could be bad PR.

+5%

Something like this, yes.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
It's "opt out" vs "opt in" and it's widely debated issue in many industries.  I am for it - it backs our devs and strengthens Bts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
I vote no. No pun intended. :D

It's a bad idea as what if the shareholders don't like one of the core devs? They have a right to vote them out.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline barwizi

• Noirbits, NoirShares, NoirEx.....lol, noir anyone?
    • View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
just keep in mind how difficult it is to find AND KEEP core developers.
--Bar--  PiNEJGUv4AZVZkLuF6hV4xwbYTRp5etWWJ

The magical land of crypto, no freebies people.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Or a "slate list" after open the wallet for the first time

Dialog :  Which build in voting slate you like to use ?
1\I don't want to choose any of these 
2\core developers
3\Xeroc's
4\xxxxxxxx's
5\yyyyyy's

I support a dialog on initial load, giving the user the ability to see who are in the slate, and a link to a thread describing the roles of each dev.

I think eventually the client needs a 'Delegate Campaigns' tab which shows delegate bids right in the client, possibly also with 'Delegate Slate Campaigns'. We could have a semi-annoying reminder every once in a while, or the delegate campaigns tab glowing a different color until they vote.

Lots of great ideas here  +5% +5%

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
As per Rune.. keeping the controversy outside the client might be best. Pointers on how to in the wiki and have the forum host detail of slates, with perhaps a sticky slate detail of the core devs by way of strong indicator.

I think there is some advantage in making the core devs more apparent.. perhaps biographies, even if fictional can help their getting votes. Are the ~business cases put somewhere easy to navigate?.. Perhaps could add those to the wiki.

There's a rather good exhibition on at the London V&A about political movements and identity Disobedient Objects, which had me wonder that part of the way community and identity is encouraged is by tokens that acknowledge roles. Perhaps the forum could acknowledge people's roles in some way, so devs are less anonymous among the crowd.

the core devs need more publicity.Some names are not well known. You should add more on the homepage with a vote button, fix the vote problem - i can vote and i voted and i hope you secured the support of the big chinese whales in advance.

No need to to delete this thread, but why not end the headline with a questionmark ??????????

Maybe we can create something like Discussion-Ideas or something

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
There's no need to censor this thread.

No this thread really should be censored now.

Offline Mako

• View Profile
you are mad ,my king ,if you do so it`s time for me and every one of my friends to leave . do you not offer people freedom as you said, you offer "freedom"signed by bytemaster.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
There's no need to censor this thread. It's obvious that BM just wants a discussion about this since a lot of the core devs are getting scared of losing their paycheck.

The Devs SHOULD get scared of losing their paycheck if they don't continue to do their job as everyone else in real life. Having the devs automatically get elected and paid will make many people very uneasy..

Losing a core dev is still a lot worse than putting default votes in the official client, but I don't think either needs to happen. We just need to vote these guys in.

Of course we all need to make sure that all of these guys are always voted since they are doing a great job. But these guys need also to keep having a large BTS stake to vote for themselves. What happens if they all dump their shares and are still get voted?

How about instead of having default votes, our entire community makes sure to make a lot of noise here in general discussion over the next couple of weeks to get everyone to vote for our core devs. They'll all be voted in soon enough.

Whenever one of the Devs is risking to get voted out, the people managing their delegate should make a lot of noise to the community so they get elected back.

Don't kill the democracy of the voting system by applying these kind of rules. This proposal I feel is contradicting the core principles that BM is evangelizing all this time.

Offline Musewhale

• 丑,实在是太丑了 !
    • View Profile
Many of the core developers are critical to the success of BTS and they are implicitly trusted by everyone who downloads the wallet. 

For this reason I would like to suggest that the next release of the BTS wallet set the "default" approval for the following core developers:

Me, Toast, Nathan, Vikram, Valentine, James, Ben, Dan N., Eric F.   

Each of these guys is implicitly trusted and contributing directly to the github source.    This would really help the core team to get and keep the votes necessary without having to worry much about their salary.   Users could always "unvote" them.   

Thoughts?

my king,
are you crazy ?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:48:02 pm by BTS熊 »
MUSE witness:mygoodfriend     vote for me

Offline callmeluc

• View Profile
I can't believe that we even discuss this... I don't even want to mention why this is a bad PR idea as I will give bad actors and FUDers food for thought..

I have another proposal as well... Let's make a delegate that is always voted and pay AGS shareholders every week. AGS shareholders were the ones who supported the project without expecting anything in return anyway..

Please delete this thread before too many people see it..

There's no need to censor this thread. It's obvious that BM just wants a discussion about this since a lot of the core devs are getting scared of losing their paycheck. Losing a core dev is still a lot worse than putting default votes in the official client, but I don't think either needs to happen. We just need to vote these guys in.

How about instead of having default votes, our entire community makes sure to make a lot of noise here in general discussion over the next couple of weeks to get everyone to vote for our core devs. They'll all be voted in soon enough.

NOBODY has the right to decide who should be on that list and add it to the system. 
Are we talking about some king knight his followers from the throne here?
I can't believe we even discuss this, yeah, so do I.

BTS_自扯自淡

Offline NewMine

• View Profile

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo

That sounds reasonable and would achieve the same goal.

+5% That would be a good compromise.
But generally I agree that we should be extremely careful with this.

Offline cn-members

• View Profile
I could have delete or edit this OP with better approach .

But I don't know if BM would feel ok about this .... :o
BTS中文区发言人公共账号,帮助社区有效沟通与交流。
Chinese Community Spokesman Account,to help the effective communication between Chinese and other members of the community.We're not translators to do regular translations , but will help with vital ones as we see fit and available at that time.