Author Topic: Default Vote for Core Devs???  (Read 25202 times)

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
honestly, i hope he doesn't take that advice. the dev team's willingness to discuss everything with the community this way is one of this projects strong suits I think.

FUDmeisters are gonna FUD no matter how much we give them. discussing this subject is harmless.

We should be concerned about the FUD that springs from actual changes that get implemented. FUD from discussions like this only serves to make more people aware of the project in my opinion.

A balance is desirable, and I think this thread demonstrates that we have not achieved balance.

When you are with your spouse, you do not say anything and everything that comes to your mind. There is an intelligent filter, partly based on empathy for the other and being sensitive to their perceptions. This preempted empathy can lead you to new understandings without even needing to actually talk to the person/group, i.e. "Shareholders will probably be upset with this. Why would they be upset? Perhaps my current logical understanding is missing a few essential pieces."

When I say 'private dev meetings', it sounds more official or dramatic than what I mean. It could simply be a text convo over Skype with Toast that lasts 10 minutes.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I prefer stupid people are upfront and obvious. He's doing us a favour spawning activity on BitcoinTalk. More threads the better.. 'bad press' like this is weak and then good for the positive attention it will draw from sensible people who are not so easily taken in.

Good point.  Outrageous flaming posts can work like "click bait" to bring folks in for a whole BitShares promotional thread.  Suggest we use such opportunities to recommend our favorite episodes of Max's BitSharesTV videos or Bytemaster's Blog articles.  Hard to maintain the fiction of an obvious troll's accusations when you've got recommended links to reasonable people talking about exciting things. 

:)

We are trying to cure their insomnia?

LOL :)   Well, the point is leave something you'd like to share for people to find, rather than just mount a defense.  Refuting the OP is worthwhile.  Leaving something positive behind is priceless. 

Normally, we have to pay to get clicks.  Let's use the free one's trolls go out and attract for us.

I think this is a specialty skill our NullStreet marketers should advise us on.  How to do jujutsu marketing. 

Maybe even develop a troll response press kit?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:42:15 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline davidpbrown

Perhaps in the future, it would be best if the dev team had initial private meetings to discuss things like this before bringing them to the forums. This way, when you do bring them to the forums, pros/cons for the idea can be established, as well as alternative ideas.

Surely that's a bad idea?.. we want to avoid centralisation in all forms. Over time such a habit would be a liability. I much prefer the way thoughts are thrown out there. We can hammer them down fast enough.. but having a group think is useful for spawning other ideas. Having teacher tell us the way it is and provide only a limited set of options, isn't always best. That said, as we navigate new legislation and where advice has been taken on matters of law etc, then the tone of what is proposed can be different enough to indicate depth to an idea. In future there will be heritage to draw on too but better an open community thinking about all options than having devs wasting their time thinking simple thoughts that we can do.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

merockstar

Many of the core developers are critical to the success of BTS and they are implicitly trusted by everyone who downloads the wallet.

The trust we give the dev team when we download the wallet is the same trust that they won't do things like this.

If you pushed this through, me or someone else would fork the code immediately upon new releases with this removed.

Perhaps in the future, it would be best if the dev team had initial private meetings to discuss things like this before bringing them to the forums. This way, when you do bring them to the forums, pros/cons for the idea can be established, as well as alternative ideas.

honestly, i hope he doesn't take that advice. the dev team's willingness to discuss everything with the community this way is one of this projects strong suits I think.

FUDmeisters are gonna FUD no matter how much we give them. discussing this subject is harmless.

We should be concerned about the FUD that springs from actual changes that get implemented. FUD from discussions like this only serves to make more people aware of the project in my opinion.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
Many of the core developers are critical to the success of BTS and they are implicitly trusted by everyone who downloads the wallet.

The trust we give the dev team when we download the wallet is the same trust that they won't do things like this.

If the devs push this through, me or someone else will fork the code immediately upon new releases with this removed.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:16:10 pm by fluxer555 »

merockstar

makes me think about the big stink a long time about about microsoft installing IE on computers by default, not giving netscape a chance to compete.

I think I'm opposed. It's a harmless enough proposal, but the spin doctors, as you can see, would have a hayday.

i would like to ask, is there a reason this topic is on your mind BM? are some of the devs having trouble keeping votes?

Offline abelljefrry

-100% Definitely a bad idea.

On a side note, the least that we can do on user-side is choose a descriptive delegate name. For example 'projectname-dev.username' is better than just 'username' or 'randomword.username'. This might help casual users get some basic idea about that delegate and make an informed decision.
Need a designer for your project? Hire me! I accept BTS as payment :)

View my BitShares design portfolio here : bit.ly/BitSharesPortfolio

sumantso

I prefer stupid people are upfront and obvious. He's doing us a favour spawning activity on BitcoinTalk. More threads the better.. 'bad press' like this is weak and then good for the positive attention it will draw from sensible people who are not so easily taken in.

Good point.  Outrageous flaming posts can work like "click bait" to bring folks in for a whole BitShares promotional thread.  Suggest we use such opportunities to recommend our favorite episodes of Max's BitSharesTV videos or Bytemaster's Blog articles.  Hard to maintain the fiction of an obvious troll's accusations when you've got recommended links to reasonable people talking about exciting things. 

We are trying to cure their insomnia?

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
Setting default delegate approval is pretty high centralisation. This is something everyone is trying to avoid... I hope...

On the other hand there is indeed a voter apathy and this makes the "income" of some of the core devs uncertain. The solution to this serious problem shouldn't degrade the qualities of the system. 

A possible (but still controversial) approach to solving this might be:
On the client first startup bring up a list of ALL slates and/or voting window. The user should be able to choose zero, one or more slates/delegates before continuing work. Of course there could be debates about slate/delegate ordering but this should push more people to vote. There could even be an explanation text why voting for core developer's slates is beneficial.

In any case I do NOT think there should be any default selected slates/delegates.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
bad idea... makes it harder for us devs who are contributing and harder to become a delegate

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline davidpbrown

฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

sumantso

Ignore him, he is a trader who has sold and now hoping for lower prices.

I actually never traded this away. Still have every BTS and bitUSD. More bitUSD now.

Liar.

Who are you trying to fool? I hope you get banned here as you're quite clearly trolling to further your own selfish interests. This is nothing short of hurting others and should be prevented.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Nice job on the bitcointalk fire drill everybody. 
Seems there are arsonists among us.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Just build us a decent vote function that is easy to use and has a prominent position within the interface. Then, I think, you'll get a higher participation rate, since a lot of people who can't figure out how to vote now will be casting their votes then. I've already voted for these guys, but in essence, the message ought to be 'get us a functional client and then we'll vote you in.'