Author Topic: Default Vote for Core Devs???  (Read 8183 times)

Offline .yoshi

• View Profile
Re: Default Vote for Core Devs???
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2015, 12:48:20 am »
We need to be a little patient with this model.

Many devs prefer technical complexity to social complexity.
Asking them to participate in a continuous job interview is asking a lot.

I expect that those of us who enjoy interacting with people are going to have to pitch in and help them out a bit here.  Bytemaster has told us who he would like to have on his team.  He is very, very, very picky.

If we want BitShares to succeed, we won't ask alpha-geeks to perform unnatural acts.

:)

Excellent point. Sometimes these forums are an absolute shitshow, can't say I blame them for wanting to avoid the crossfire here.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2015, 12:48:53 am »
I think it did no damage overall. The Bitcointalk thread was more positive than negative for PR overall especially at the end...

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2015, 12:52:23 am »
I think it did no damage overall. The Bitcointalk thread was more positive than negative for PR overall especially at the end...

I haven't looked at it yet. 

Regardless Bytemaster can carry at least 5 devs. In the sense he can just say these are the 5 guys I and we really need to keep BitShares at the top of it's game.

They will not be without a job and without shareholder support in the next few years. Guaranteed imo.

Edit: Read it, it's not great tbh, one more thing to point too & on a crypto day where positivity not negativity is needed, not the end of the world though. But yeah everyone can appreciate we need a great core dev team that works well together. The majority will default to BM on who's best in that mix for the next year/two at least provided the list is not too big.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:16:18 am by Empirical1.1 »

Offline mint chocolate chip

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2015, 01:04:13 am »
Newmine likes to air-out BTS' old baggage, but there is some sort of relief in that it is part of the BitShares evolving history and openly discussing it may have some positive future benefits - such as the realization that we are one of the most open public development networks happening in crypto.  This is not one of Bytemaster's better ideas, but glad part of his delegate role is to think of ideas and discuss them with us.

Every delegate should have objectives that are aligned to take us to 1.0.

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2015, 01:44:14 am »
You cannot set default vote for core developing , but you can
1.set a select choice box let people select delegate slate recommended by developing.
2.the clients include a .txt file as the default voting delegate but the user can choice does not use it

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:56:20 am by BTSdac »
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline BitshatKing

• Xiao Ling
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2015, 09:39:01 am »
Why all u people got problem?  Wat is big deal about Stan, Dan and devs as for ever delegates?  What go can wrong?

Hear me...

Vote not that important.  Why u care if u get vote?  What does your vote matter?  Noone care what u think.  It truth. 

My country is no vote!  My country greatest country whole world.  Leaders picked for us.  Leaders are great men.  GREAT MEN LEAD CHINA TO WORLD DOMINATON!

So wat u don't like them.  They probaly don't like u!  We need KICK OUT TRATORS!  STAN AND DAN FOR EVER!

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2015, 11:05:48 am »
i would suggest, that Bytemaster should post in the future like this:

"How can we ensure, that the core devs, get enough votes, to get elected or stay in place?"

This would let to a discussion and not a no or yes thread!

and we would have in the end a good solution the community think it would provide the needed votes.

Maybe Bytemaster should Stan start the post, because this community is so fixated on his words - :D

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2015, 12:57:49 pm »
Agree, try presenting the underlying problem at issue clearly in OPs and then let a few posts roll by before suggesting your own solution in the comments. Fun experiment  ;)

lzr1900

« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2015, 01:07:34 pm »
 are u drunk? this is a stupid idea.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2015, 01:18:18 pm »
Many of the core developers are critical to the success of BTS and they are implicitly trusted by everyone who downloads the wallet. 

For this reason I would like to suggest that the next release of the BTS wallet set the "default" approval for the following core developers:

Me, Toast, Nathan, Vikram, Valentine, James, Ben, Dan N., Eric F.   

Each of these guys is implicitly trusted and contributing directly to the github source.    This would really help the core team to get and keep the votes necessary without having to worry much about their salary.   Users could always "unvote" them.   

Thoughts?

Bad idea! This corrupts the whole resemblance of democracy which is critical to marketing DPoS!
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Re: Default Vote for Core Devs
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2015, 01:20:45 pm »
For now I think it's OK, but not so much in the future. Although you're absolutely correct that trust is implicit since they're the one's creating the wallet, the problem I see with it is the inherent bias or conflict of interest it represents. It weakens the minority shareholder representation by giving advantage to those that already have a strong influence.

Let the shareholders wishes be purely represented.

As I said, it's OK for now, and, as a default (for those who don't vote? what does default mean in this context exactly?) it makes perfect sense.

This is not okay now or ever. It's a bad idea and could destroy the credibility of DPoS. It will make the whole network appear centralized around the core developers in the same way Bitcoin mining appears centralized.

The core developers are important but you have to trust the community above all else to make rational decisions. If core developers start using their influence over the code to try to force the community to vote for them that could be the end of DPoS.

I really hope this question doesn't result in a crash in the BTS price because even the hint that it could occur could create a dumping frenzy.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Riverhead

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2015, 01:37:45 pm »
I've read a lot of this thread and the overwhelming response is negative as expected given the goals of the community. Asked and Answered. This openness to community opinion is fantastic.

Many applications (Office, Dropbox, etc.) come with opening animations or tutorials that briefly describe, in a few slides or few seconds, the main points about the product and how to use it. This is where an effective pitch can be made about the importance of voting to the ecosystem.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2015, 01:59:23 pm »
I've read a lot of this thread and the overwhelming response is negative as expected given the goals of the community. Asked and Answered. This openness to community opinion is fantastic.

Many applications (Office, Dropbox, etc.) come with opening animations or tutorials that briefly describe, in a few slides or few seconds, the main points about the product and how to use it. This is where an effective pitch can be made about the importance of voting to the ecosystem.

You can require voting before the first trades can be initiated. You can let people vote by teams and have "Team Invictus". Every old timer knows what Invictus means and new people probably don't have as many shares. Other teams should be included as well though.

I don't know if you're calling them teams or slates but the point is people need to think of Invictus as a group and be able to vote for all of Invictus with a single click. There should be more robust features as well such as time limited vote selections so that the vote expires after a set period of time has elapsed.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:00:58 pm by luckybit »

Offline joele

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2015, 02:20:24 pm »
You cannot set default vote for core developing , but you can
1.set a select choice box let people select delegate slate recommended by developing.
2.the clients include a .txt file as the default voting delegate but the user can choice does not use it
+5%
3. or a description 'Core Developer team' in the Delegate listing, so users know who the better delegates to vote.

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2015, 04:03:17 pm »
are u drunk? this is a stupid idea.

Oh geez. He made a proposal, the community answered. No reason to take this to high school antics.