Author Topic: Is it possible claim a user if I lost my backup  (Read 1982 times)

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
Good luck tracking down the computer...

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I don't have the private key.  I have my password but I guess that is not the same thing.  I guess I will have to track down that computer.  I was saying my user (the little robot man) was registered.  So I didn't know if I could still gain access to that account with the password.  It sounds like not.

Passwords just encrypt and decrypt your private key locally.  The password itself has nothing to do with the blockchain.  Some coins like NXT have the password be a brainwallet key, but that is not what BitShares does.  (Unless you specifically make a brain wallet)

A brain wallet means that your private key is derived from a password so you can remember the key by remembering the password.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline coininvestor

• View Profile
The only way to get access to your money is with the private keys. If you've lost the wallet there's nothing you can do, unless your money was on the blockchain as a brainwallet and you still remember the password.

That was what I was asking,  if it is registered then is it considered a brain wallet?

Offline coininvestor

• View Profile
I don't have the private key.  I have my password but I guess that is not the same thing.  I guess I will have to track down that computer.  I was saying my user (the little robot man) was registered.  So I didn't know if I could still gain access to that account with the password.  It sounds like not.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
My PTS account is registered on the blockchain

I think he is saying that he imported his private keys into BTS. Coininvestor, do you still have your BTS wallet? You may be able to retrieve your PTS private key if you still have that. If you can, I would transfer the funds to a new address, on both BTS and the new PTS chain.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
You need your private keys.  If they are only located on the computer you don't have then you better see if you can reacquire the computer if the PTS/sharedrops are important.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
The only way to get access to your money is with the private keys. If you've lost the wallet there's nothing you can do, unless your money was on the blockchain as a brainwallet and you still remember the password.

Offline coininvestor

• View Profile
Sorry for the newbie question, but I bought a new computer today and traded my old computer, but I forgot back up my PTS wallet onto my external hard drive so I don't have the backup.   My PTS account is registered on the blockchain so is it possible to import that account into my new wallet without the backup and if so how do I do that?  Thanks.  Otherwise I have to hunt down that old computer and it might be destroyed already.