Author Topic: How to Measure the Decentralization of Bitcoin [BLOG POST]  (Read 4113 times)

Offline svk

You should write an article on the distribution of Bitshares. I guess it would be hard to show the distribution with TITAN though.

Someone already did that analysis and posted it on the forum... can you find it for me?
We only have this kind of analysis for the genesis blocks AFAIK. I like your pie graphs and I'll add similar graphs for BTS and BTSX genesis blocks tomorrow.

Svk that would be awesome. Show the top rankings of holders for each bracket. Like this:

1-100 BTS: number of  accounts X% of supply
100-1,000 BTS:  number of accounts X% of supply
1,000-10,000 BTS: number of accounts X% of supply
10,000-50,000 BTS: number of accounts X% of supply
50,000-100,000 BTS: number of accounts X% of supply
100,000-200,000 BTS: number of accounts X% of supply
200,000-500,000 BTS: number of accounts X% of supply
500,000-1,00,000 BTS: number of accounts X% of supply
1,00,000+ BTS: number of accounts X% of supply

Based on the genesis block.  Would be interesting to see. Pie charts also sound awesome.

How about the November 5th distribution of DevShares?

I've added pie charts similar to the one in your article to the genesis info for the BTS and BTSX  genesis blocks, as well as the DVS genesis block on the DVS version of bitsharesblocks.

http://bitsharesblocks.com/genesis-btsx
http://bitsharesblocks.com/genesis-bts
http://dvs.bitsharesblocks.com/genesis-bts

Surprisingly to me the trend is negative going from BTS to DVS: DVS is more centralized than BTS. I'm not sure what the sharedrop amounts actually correspond to for DVS though as I thought it was meant to be 100% BTS?

BTSX:

BTS:

DVS:

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag

Wow the OP in that thread is ridiculously funny. I can't tell if the poster is serious or a troll. Either way its more advertising for BitShares.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I'm disappointed.

This thread seems to have finally died out over on reddit.

Nobody will beat me up for posting this over there any more, so I can't tell if it's on the mark. 

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
You should write an article on the distribution of Bitshares. I guess it would be hard to show the distribution with TITAN though.

Someone already did that analysis and posted it on the forum... can you find it for me?
We only have this kind of analysis for the genesis blocks AFAIK. I like your pie graphs and I'll add similar graphs for BTS and BTSX genesis blocks tomorrow.

Svk that would be awesome. Show the top rankings of holders for each bracket. Like this:

Based on the genesis block.  Would be interesting to see. Pie charts also sound awesome.

Yes that would be more up to date information on the distribution.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile

I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline svk

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline bytemaster

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
I am not very technical but if I understand correctly, the article implies that if bitcoin was to use DPOS it will be as well as decentralized as Bitshares at a rank 6 or 7?

Do we really want to wake up the bitcoiners and use DPOS by forking bitcoin especially since most of us are all in in Bitshares? If bitcoin was forked to use DPOS wouldn't that seriously hurt BTS price since we would lose our competitive advantage of DPOS vs. POWaste?

If Bitcoin can change to DPOS , then no one would be fixated on Bitcoin anymore .
The holy Bitcoin should never abandon POW . Once it does that , then it's no better than any POS coin .
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline roadscape

IMO your last two articles (Measuring Decentralization & Nothing at Stake) have been the best in terms of efficiently elucidating key topics.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline bytemaster

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile

Offline bytemaster

I am not very technical but if I understand correctly, the article implies that if bitcoin was to use DPOS it will be as well as decentralized as Bitshares at a rank 6 or 7?

Do we really want to wake up the bitcoiners and use DPOS by forking bitcoin especially since most of us are all in in Bitshares? If bitcoin was forked to use DPOS wouldn't that seriously hurt BTS price since we would lose our competitive advantage of DPOS vs. POWaste?

Bitcoin is unlikely to every reach consensus on hard fork... while they were debating it everyone would move to BTS.