Author Topic: How to Maintain Privacy with BitShares  (Read 4038 times)

Offline bytemaster

Titan is providing false privacy that is the source of many usability issues.   

I am not compromising on principles, just recognizing the reality.  Privacy is still high on my list of important features. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Thom

I just read this entry and have some concerns.

You start the piece by stating "privacy is difficult to gain, easy to loose, and impossible to restore", and you end with a statement that throws TITAN out the window by default and suggests maintaining privacy can be done later. These are highly contradictory statements.

Moreover, it concerns me greatly b/c I see this as a potential compromise of the principle of privacy you put much effort to build into BitShares through TITAN.

You state "the market has spoken" in favor of ease of use over privacy as justification for your move away from strong measures to insure privacy. I've also asked you about this on mumble as it relates to voting. In light of this blog post I can't say the answers you provided about vote identity registrars give me much confidence about BitShares protecting my privacy.

As you said,  "privacy is difficult to gain, easy to loose, and impossible to restore", and although I don't have "problems" I'm trying to cover up I still value my privacy and do not wish to relinquish it just b/c the majority consensus puts little value in it. Once lost IMPOSSIBLE to restore is a catastrophic failure.

Something of this magnitude needs to be put before the shareholders in the form of a formal vote IMO. Although I may not have any risk exposure, that may not be true of all shareholders. I'd hate to think the decision to "opt-in" to TITAN by default would be the equivalent to the 911 ambulance call you made an example of in this blog post.

I understand the pressure to conform & to accelerate delivery of the new client. But as you also said elsewhere, "If we are to create a libertarian utopia it must be engineered from the ground up to comply with a set of universal principles without compromise". This sounds like a high order compromise to me.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html