Author Topic: Project: BitUSD Liquidity  (Read 9452 times)

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
This is great stuff.

Would combining this with BitBTC shorted with BitUSD as collateral (shorting BitAssets with other BitAssets is still a future feature I presume?) help? That way you can short as much BitBTC as BTC you have on the exchange for your market maker bot and so the net effect is that you are not exposed to the price volatility of BTC (with the cost that you have only 1/4 of the total value you put up for market making for each side of the BitUSD/BTC exchange).

Since many of us are BTS bulls and are already exposed to BTS anyway, we can get close to this with the current client by simply shorting BitBTC with BTS. You can have X dollars worth of BTS converted into BitUSD, X dollars worth of BTS converted into BTC (at a price of P1 USD/BTC), and 2X dollars worth of BTS put up as collateral to short X dollars worth of BitBTC. So your 4X dollars worth of BTS gives you -X/P1 BitBTC, +X BitUSD, and +X/P1 BTC. If the price of BTC falls to P2 < P1, you take the X/P1 BTC (now worth X*P2/P1 USD), convert it to X/P1 BitBTC and cover the short to get 3X dollars worth of BTS (assuming the price of BTS has not changed). Then you reshort at the new P2 price with 2X dollars worth of BTS to short sell X/P2 BitBTC. You take the other X dollars worth of BTS and trade it for X dollars worth of BTC at this new P2 price (so for X/P2 BTC). Now you can put back the buy wall for X/P2 BTC which still maintains the value of X dollars worth of BTC. If the price of BTC increased instead you can see how a similar process would allow you to maintain X dollars worth of BTC in the buy wall after covering and reshort.

The problem with the above is that it assumes the price of BTS remains fixed relative to USD. This is why shorting with BitUSD as collateral would be better. But with this limitation it just means the price of the buy and sell walls in terms of USD would have to grow and shrink as the price of BTS goes up and down respectively. But if we are betting on eventually breaking away from BTC and all the other altcoins and growing the price of BTS relative to BTC and USD, this is a sensible strategy for our market making bots, isn't it? It allows the market making bots to maintain symmetric height (in dollar value) walls which do not depend on fluctuations in BTC price but do grow taller as the price of BTS grows relative to the dollar. Also keep in mind I am not including the effect of short interests here.

Depending on how often the BTC hedge needs to be adjusted, there will be a spread cost of transacting in bitBTC that needs to be factored in. If this still is cost-effective, another alternative for absolute return traders that want to hedge out both BTC and BTS risk is to short 1 bitBTC with BTS (increasing BTS exposure) and also buy 1 bitUSD with BTS (offsetting the increase in BTS exposure). Although the trader still needs an inventory of BTS to begin with, the exposure to BTS does not need to be increased in order to implement the bitUSD market making.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
Just sent a request to CMC about adding that market pair in. I suggest everyone who sees this do this as well!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1IZf5cBivam_93zENT_arFFuvWDidHGjWxoTMVmFSoWg/viewform

Please add the BitUSD/BTC pair to the Markets of BitUSD:

http://coinmarketcap.com/assets/bitusd/#markets

https://bter.com/trade/btc_bitusd

There has been $20k in volume in the past 24 hours, and this was not counted. Thank you!

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
Pity coinmarketcap doesn't seem to capture that BitUSD/BTC volume on bter which was $20 000+ these last 24hrs.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
@arhag

And if you want to remain 100% long BTS (and have 1/3 (1/6 for each side) of your funds for your trading-bot operations) short the bitUSD as well.

i.e.
2x to short bitUSD, 2x to short bitBTC, 1x to buy bitUSD, 1x to buy BTC...

Yup! That's also a great option for the real BTS superbulls who don't want to give up any exposure to BTS price gains while still running market making bots.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
This is great stuff.

Would combining this with BitBTC shorted with BitUSD as collateral (shorting BitAssets with other BitAssets is still a future feature I presume?) help? That way you can short as much BitBTC as BTC you have on the exchange for your market maker bot and so the net effect is that you are not exposed to the price volatility of BTC (with the cost that you have only 1/4 of the total value you put up for market making for each side of the BitUSD/BTC exchange).

Since many of us are BTS bulls and are already exposed to BTS anyway, we can get close to this with the current client by simply shorting BitBTC with BTS. You can have X dollars worth of BTS converted into BitUSD, X dollars worth of BTS converted into BTC (at a price of P1 USD/BTC), and 2X dollars worth of BTS put up as collateral to short X dollars worth of BitBTC. So your 4X dollars worth of BTS gives you -X/P1 BitBTC, +X BitUSD, and +X/P1 BTC. If the price of BTC falls to P2 < P1, you take the X/P1 BTC (now worth X*P2/P1 USD), convert it to X/P1 BitBTC and cover the short to get 3X dollars worth of BTS (assuming the price of BTS has not changed). Then you reshort at the new P2 price with 2X dollars worth of BTS to short sell X/P2 BitBTC. You take the other X dollars worth of BTS and trade it for X dollars worth of BTC at this new P2 price (so for X/P2 BTC). Now you can put back the buy wall for X/P2 BTC which still maintains the value of X dollars worth of BTC. If the price of BTC increased instead you can see how a similar process would allow you to maintain X dollars worth of BTC in the buy wall after covering and reshort.

The problem with the above is that it assumes the price of BTS remains fixed relative to USD. This is why shorting with BitUSD as collateral would be better. But with this limitation it just means the price of the buy and sell walls in terms of USD would have to grow and shrink as the price of BTS goes up and down respectively. But if we are betting on eventually breaking away from BTC and all the other altcoins and growing the price of BTS relative to BTC and USD, this is a sensible strategy for our market making bots, isn't it? It allows the market making bots to maintain symmetric height (in dollar value) walls which do not depend on fluctuations in BTC price but do grow taller as the price of BTS grows relative to the dollar. Also keep in mind I am not including the effect of short interests here.

This is a really great idea, however I think at first it's better to use centralized services for this. When the DEX becomes more mature we can use that instead, it'll make the entire thing even better!

zerosum

@arhag

And if you want to remain 100% long BTS (and have 1/3 (1/6 for each side) of your funds for your trading-bot operations) short the bitUSD as well.

i.e.
2x to short bitUSD, 2x to short bitBTC, 1x to buy bitUSD, 1x to buy BTC...

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
This is great stuff.

Offline mint chocolate chip

Number 4 on bter!!

https://bter.com/

Isn't that "X" the old logo, isn't there a bitUSD logo that should be there?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Offline Rune

• View Profile
It's a little early to call their downfall IMO. I'm sure they still have enough to buy back all outstanding nubits.

I didn't want to open source the bot because 1) I didn't want competition (but it's there now) and 2) I'm embarrassed by my code quality (but that's a bad reason)

Perhaps I will open it up today or over this weekend

NuBits will continue for sure. But soon they'll be subjected to the same kind of standard that rational people subject other exchanges/counterparties too, such as cryptographic proof of reserves. They'll have to eventually come up with a system to basically copy BitUSD and its backing entirely if they want to maintain credibility. If we just have acceptable liquidity and spreads in the meantime, some of the non-retarded traders might switch to BitUSD.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
It's a little early to call their downfall IMO. I'm sure they still have enough to buy back all outstanding nubits.

I didn't want to open source the bot because 1) I didn't want competition (but it's there now) and 2) I'm embarrassed by my code quality (but that's a bad reason)

Perhaps I will open it up today or over this weekend
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Damnit I am off for skiing the weekend without access to my wallet .. shit .. missed that opportunity :/

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Wondering what you can do to help bitshares up to the 1.0 launch?

Toast has written a market maker bot for BTC/BitUSD on bter.com that Riverhead is now running (possibly others)

Volume is only 10 BTC so far, but notice the spread is around 5%. If you check out NuBits you can see that their spread is more or less the same: https://bter.com/trade/nbt_btc

This is most likely because the "trusted" custodians have lost shitloads of money by getting BTC dumped on them in the last crash, so they have widened their spread in an attempt to make money so they'll  stop being a fractional reserve. This is our moment to steal their market and surpass them as _the_ 1 USD token. All we have to do is to keep our spread lower, and then pump the volume! BTC isn't crashing any more so market making at a small spread will be profitable!

If you want to help BitUSD get adoption then get on bter now and start trading!!! Lets push the volume to at least 100 BTC as soon as possible!
Do you have a link to the market maker bot post?

No, I don't think there is any post about it. I gave 5k bitUSD to riverhead to fund his bot with. If you want to help with liquidity but don't want to run the bot yourself you can do the same, he's a trusted community member and won't mess up.

If you want to run the bot yourself then get in touch with toast.
Sounds interesting ..

Do you know the reason @toast is not opensourcing the bot?

I'm pretty sure he plans to do it as soon as it is ready.

Buy BitUSD and get it on bter.com guys!!! Buy low sell high and make some money as we make nubits unravel over the next couple of days.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Wondering what you can do to help bitshares up to the 1.0 launch?

Toast has written a market maker bot for BTC/BitUSD on bter.com that Riverhead is now running (possibly others)

Volume is only 10 BTC so far, but notice the spread is around 5%. If you check out NuBits you can see that their spread is more or less the same: https://bter.com/trade/nbt_btc

This is most likely because the "trusted" custodians have lost shitloads of money by getting BTC dumped on them in the last crash, so they have widened their spread in an attempt to make money so they'll  stop being a fractional reserve. This is our moment to steal their market and surpass them as _the_ 1 USD token. All we have to do is to keep our spread lower, and then pump the volume! BTC isn't crashing any more so market making at a small spread will be profitable!

If you want to help BitUSD get adoption then get on bter now and start trading!!! Lets push the volume to at least 100 BTC as soon as possible!
Do you have a link to the market maker bot post?

No, I don't think there is any post about it. I gave 5k bitUSD to riverhead to fund his bot with. If you want to help with liquidity but don't want to run the bot yourself you can do the same, he's a trusted community member and won't mess up.

If you want to run the bot yourself then get in touch with toast.
Sounds interesting ..

Do you know the reason @toast is not opensourcing the bot?