Author Topic: [SOLVED] Peer disconnected us: You offered us a block that we reject  (Read 2290 times)

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
I have a git pull from Saturday  so I'm assuming I have a newer version than my peer.

About messages... now I get:

Code: [Select]
Peer 180.168.198.173:60086 disconnected us: You offered me a list of more sync blocks than could possibly exist
[/cod]

I guess this falls into the same category of version discrepancy. Sadly I assume network_get_peer_info wont show him since it has been disconnected. Is there a way to see "older"(disconnected) peers?
The most likely reason I can think of for this error is that there is a disagreement between your system and that peer about the time. Your client is trying to tell him about blocks it knows, and his system thinks that many blocks can't have been produced yet (your system thinks the time is later than his does). The clients try to automatically adjust for these type of clock differences by making ntp queries occassionally, but this doesn't always succeed.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline nicocesar

@dannotestein
It would be much better you change the output from:

"You offered us a block...."

to

"This peer offered us a block..."

because the message is misleading and anybody that reads it, thinks he has a problem himself ...
That was the case with me too the first time I had read it  :)

In this case the other client is disconnecting us because we are offering it invalid blocks, so the message makes sense.

This is different from us disconnecting another client because it is offering us invalid blocks, which has a different message.

Thanks everybody for the explanations I'm understanding more bitshares ecosystem thanks to all of you.

I have a git pull from Saturday  so I'm assuming I have a newer version than my peer.

About messages... now I get:

Peer 180.168.198.173:60086 disconnected us: You offered me a list of more sync blocks than could possibly exist
[/cod]

I guess this falls into the same category of version discrepancy. Sadly I assume network_get_peer_info wont show him since it has been disconnected. Is there a way to see "older"(disconnected) peers?
Account: nicocesar
Account: delegate.nicocesar 3%

Offline vikram

Hi I'm getting a

Peer 178.143.67.69:29235 disconnected us: You offered us a block that we reject as invalid
Peer 178.143.67.69:10585 disconnected us: You offered us a block that we reject as invalid
Peer 178.143.67.69:11637 disconnected us: You offered us a block that we reject as invalid
Peer 178.143.67.69:12823 disconnected us: You offered us a block that we reject as invalid

Any idea what could this be?

Thanks,
Nico Cesar
It means that the peer you connected to is using different rules to validate blocks than your client is. This can happen because of version differences in clients that require a "hard fork".

If you're running a new client, it means this other client is an older one and you have nothing to worry about (the other guy needs to update his client). If you're not running a new client, you probably need to update.

@dannotestein

to

because the message is misleading and anybody that reads it, thinks he has a problem himself ...

In this case the other client is disconnecting us because we are offering it invalid blocks, so the message makes sense.

This is different from us disconnecting another client because it is offering us invalid blocks, which has a different message.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Hi I'm getting a

Peer 178.143.67.69:29235 disconnected us: You offered us a block that we reject as invalid
Peer 178.143.67.69:10585 disconnected us: You offered us a block that we reject as invalid
Peer 178.143.67.69:11637 disconnected us: You offered us a block that we reject as invalid
Peer 178.143.67.69:12823 disconnected us: You offered us a block that we reject as invalid

Thanks,
Nico Cesar
It means that the peer you connected to is using different rules to validate blocks than your client is. This can happen because of version differences in clients that require a "hard fork".

If you're running a new client, it means this other client is an older one and you have nothing to worry about (the other guy needs to update his client). If you're not running a new client, you probably need to update.

@dannotestein

to

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
Hi I'm getting a

Thanks,
Nico Cesar

http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
The other machine has been disconnected because of outdated software i'd guess

Offline nicocesar

Hi I'm getting a

EDIT (short answer): @dannotestein summarized: "If you're running a new client, it means this other client is an older one and you have nothing to worry about (the other guy needs to update his client). If you're not running a new client, you probably need to update.". Thx @xeroc for the answer too

Thanks,
Nico Cesar
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:20:16 am by nicocesar »
Account: nicocesar
Account: delegate.nicocesar 3%