Author Topic: Crypti Goes DPOS  (Read 3935 times)

Offline graffenwalder

After developing our initial system, we ran into a lot of problems trying to establish consensus and decided to go back to the drawing board. After serious consideration, we had several proposals for how we wanted our network to function. The system we were developing internally in regards to our thought process, involved having set nodes, that would be nominated by the users, but would still be trusted and unable to be gamed. The more we sat down and thought about what we wanted to build, it was obvious that DPOS provided a lot of the functionality we wanted and has already been battle tested and proven to be a sound system. We are big fans of what Bitshares has done and all that they have accomplished.

We have not made the switch to DPOS yet and are using a much simpler system right now. We have been working on reforming, optimizing, and nailing down our node.js code for the infrastructure of the network, databases, and blockchain.

All of that being said, our next release, 0.2.0 will enable our version of DPOS. It is a modified version of what BitShares uses to incorporate some of the ideas we have and is a variant of their system (which is open source) in the same way that many coins in the beginning were offshoots and alterations of Bitcoin. We feel like DPOS is the best solution for what we are trying to accomplish, we are simply going to be giving it our own flavor. I don't feel like we are saying, "hey, we improved bitshares", or "we made bitshares better", because I honestly believe they have a very well developed system with some great minds behind it. What we are saying is that we have adapted it to meet the needs of what we want to accomplish with Crypti.

So TL;DR, we aren't DPOS yet, but will be in 0.2.0. It is based off of Bitshares code and it will have some tweaks and alterations to meet our needs.

All of the other facets of Crypti that we have discussed all along are still being built and will still run on Crypti, the consensus model and network will simply be based on DPOS. This allows a scalable, secure, and equitable network to be built with much more relative ease. Why start over again from scratch when someone has already solved some of the problems we were running into and proven that it works and works wonderfully. DPOS and the success of the Bitshares network is a great advancement in the crypto space and allows for a scalable network, rewards those running the network, and that is still, for all intents and purposes, decentralized. There are some things about the way they implement delegates, reward them, and burn currency that we feel don't necessarily fit what we are doing and will be changing. But, overall, the core infrastructure will be largely based on what they have done.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=654463.0

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
Anybody know what's happening? Are they cloning BTS or writing their own implementation?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline Riverhead

I don't want to be nasty about it; we just need to enforce our expectations. Want to surf at our beach? You're welcome here when you respect and follow the rules.

That's fair. An expectation for people to be respectful of the efforts of others is not nasty.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:48:26 pm by Riverhead »

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I don't want to be nasty about it; we just need to enforce our expectations. Want to surf at our beach? You're welcome here when you respect and follow the rules.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I guess that this could become a good test of
The Ten Natural Laws of the Crypto-Asset Universe.

This doesn't kick in when they first make their clone. 
Only when they start to gain traction with some added value concept and competitors start eyeing their success. 
It is then that their competitor will see the sharedrop advantage they left on the table. 
This community will then have to decide whether to support them or their new sharedropping competitor. 

8)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
What Riverhead said.. A sharedrop is not pay for the software, it is a gesture of goodwill towards our community. Gestures of goodwill cannot be understood if you think in terms of pure cost/benefit. If  a friend helps you move a couch you don't pay him in cold cash as that would offend and reduce him to a worker.. you treat him to dinner and keep an unspoken promise to help him out in the future.

Demanding gestures of goodwill makes them impossible.

But ignoring the expectation makes it pretty impossible anyone will honor it. I'm trying not to forget the social consensus and lose what we have; that's all.

Yeah, it's hard to know exactly how to deal with it. I'd say if they don't mention BitShares but use it, we are free to be somewhat annoyed. If they do mention BitShares I think we are free to point them to the social consensus and ask if they will honor it. If they won't we are free to ignore them and move on to other things. If we can do all this without being accusatory or antagonizing in tone I think we will do just fine. We were underdogs for so long I think we have it in our blood but in reality we are the top dog and the people who want our attention will now know how to get it.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
What Riverhead said.. A sharedrop is not pay for the software, it is a gesture of goodwill towards our community. Gestures of goodwill cannot be understood if you think in terms of pure cost/benefit. If  a friend helps you move a couch you don't pay him in cold cash as that would offend and reduce him to a worker.. you treat him to dinner and keep an unspoken promise to help him out in the future.

But ignoring the expectation makes it pretty impossible anyone will honor it. I'm trying not to forget the social consensus and lose what we have; that's all.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline Riverhead

Given the grinder we drag anyone through who offers a sharedrop I can understand why they're going this way. Pages and pages of people squabbling over percentages isn't very enticing.

Life's too short to try and make money every day.

Offline Riverhead

I think this is great!
Wider adoption of DPOS will grow people's confidence in the consensus algorithm. A lack of trust in DPOS is one of the main issues holding back wider adoption of BitShares among bitcoiners imo.

I don't get though how they use DPOS and PoT and PoP and all of that together. Is PoT and PoP even used to secure their network?

Unless they sharedrop, I'm not all that excited about them stealing the technology.

It's public domain software. It can't be stolen.

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
I think this is great!
Wider adoption of DPOS will grow people's confidence in the consensus algorithm. A lack of trust in DPOS is one of the main issues holding back wider adoption of BitShares among bitcoiners imo.

I don't get though how they use DPOS and PoT and PoP and all of that together. Is PoT and PoP even used to secure their network?

Unless they sharedrop, I'm not all that excited about them stealing the technology.

Well, I'm not going to actively support them or anything, but overall I still think it benefits us more than it will hurt us.
But I agree sharedrop would have been the better way.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I think this is great!

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
I think this is great!

sumantso

This is going to turn into yet another case where they receive free bumps as the members here try to ask for sharedrop.

If you do get into an argument, ask them to integrate 'powered by BitShares' in their logo.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
they gonna use the BitShares toolkit or implement it themselfs?
Any details on the airdrops?