Author Topic: Anouncement Concerning BTS Vesting  (Read 7921 times)

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
A lot of people are expecting and preparing for this dump.  I sold 5 btc worth of BTS a couple days ago in anticipation, got scared and rebought (slightly lower than I sold), and sold again just now.  But if it doest happen, it could be the catalyst for a big rally as everyone is forced to buy back in when the dump doesnt materialize. 

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline mudshark79

• View Profile
I thougth there is an incentive to not unvest Balances as soon as possible in a way that you get less BTS per PTS/AGS/Whatever the earlier you unvest? I remember this metric evenly increasing so unvesting after 2 months of 48 would leave with less than 5%(?) of the possible maximum number of vested balance which should make it highly unlikely that we see a big dump now. (and more likely that we get a lot of dissappointed comments and scam accusations once again  :-X).

However this is only my educated guess and what I remember, I would also look forward to some clearing up from smbdy with real insigth.... should have been in some newsletter too?

Regards

Toast said yesterday that there is no penalty.

So the fact that you can only vest small amounts per day is the "replacement" for some penalty or the mechanism to avoid bringing too much BTS into existence at once.... OK. Anyway, I will wait for a handy method of getting all private-keys in one script or some GUI thingy . . . Thanks for the clarification.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
Can we eliminate PTS from their second snapshot in BTS? They're continuing development and shouldn't be given BTS to dump and reinvest immediately into PTS.

If PTS is being merged in, it should be killed off 100%.

You realize there's no "should" in crypto, right? Anybody can snapshot anything for any purpose and there isn't anything anybody else can do about it.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Can we eliminate PTS from their second snapshot in BTS? They're continuing development and shouldn't be given BTS to dump and reinvest immediately into PTS.

PTS2 was not part of the snapshot. They used the same snapshot for their genesis as we did for this sharedrop.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
I thougth there is an incentive to not unvest Balances as soon as possible in a way that you get less BTS per PTS/AGS/Whatever the earlier you unvest? I remember this metric evenly increasing so unvesting after 2 months of 48 would leave with less than 5%(?) of the possible maximum number of vested balance which should make it highly unlikely that we see a big dump now. (and more likely that we get a lot of dissappointed comments and scam accusations once again  :-X).

However this is only my educated guess and what I remember, I would also look forward to some clearing up from smbdy with real insigth.... should have been in some newsletter too?

Regards

Toast said yesterday that there is no penalty.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline mudshark79

• View Profile

Regards

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
Because the vesting period started in November and they are just being unlocked now.

Well let's see...I believe the vesting period began on 11/5/14, right? Two and a half months. And the vesting is for a period of 2 years...which means approx. 52,083,333 of the 500,000,000 new BTS will be unlocked at once.

Thanks for the heads up mate. I thought it would start as off today.

Anyway, yeah, we might see a little dump today then. But after we should be getting back on track.
Can anyone from the dev team confirm vesting started in November?

No problem. I am personally just sitting on bitCNY and bitUSD right now. There is way to much uncertainty in general. Bitcoin looks like it is struggling to stay afloat.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline graffenwalder

Because the vesting period started in November and they are just being unlocked now.

Well let's see...I believe the vesting period began on 11/5/14, right? Two and a half months. And the vesting is for a period of 2 years...which means approx. 52,083,333 of the 500,000,000 new BTS will be unlocked at once.

Thanks for the heads up mate. I thought it would start as off today.

Anyway, yeah, we might see a little dump today then. But after we should be getting back on track.
Can anyone from the dev team confirm vesting started in November?

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile

Offline graffenwalder

Get ready for the massive sell off.

Are you guys serious?

Even if everybody that has a vesting balance, would sell of their part everyday.
That would be 685.000 BTS sell pressure, sure this would hurt the price a little bit.

But do you really think everyone is going to sell off their vesting balances?

I would be surprised if it was more than 10% of that.
Unfortunately there is no way to measure this.

52,000,000 BTS is unlocked today. Even if 10% of that is dumped that is still 5.8 million BTS on 1 day. Going forward the vesting balances are going to put downward pressure on BTS.
Just curious how did you come to that 52 million number?

I thought that vesting balances would be unlocked spread over 2 years.
500.000.000/730= 684931 BTS a day.

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile

Are you guys serious?

Even if everybody that has a vesting balance, would sell of their part everyday.
That would be 685.000 BTS sell pressure, sure this would hurt the price a little bit.

52,000,000 BTS is unlocked today. Even if 10% of that is dumped that is still 5.8 million BTS on 1 day. Going forward the vesting balances are going to put downward pressure on BTS.

Offline graffenwalder

Are you guys serious?

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile