Author Topic: Public Goods and the Public Good [BLOG POST]  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Rune

• View Profile
How do you distinguish between something that is property and something that is not property?

How do you distinguish between an action that is violent and an action that is not violent?

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Its a bit of a stretch I know but here goes:

I saw your link and based on bitshares.org's great reputation I agreed to click on it. As a result it attempted to install a cookie on my browser from a 3rd party, which like you said will try to track me when I go elsewhere and serve me more ads. I didnt consent to that 3rd party when I clicked on your link, and I would like to think that 99% of everyone else wouldnt consent to it if they actually understood what 3rd party cookies do. Being harvested into databases that correlate all my web visits definitely sounds like violence to me.

The fact that tracking is so widespread means our tools and browsers dont yet make it easy to defend against. Maidsafe's solution to this IIUC is to just kill the server entirely (yes please), and have all web content shredded up and distributed from nodes on an anonymous bitcloud. You mentioned them briefly in your blog a few posts back and said that they have no understanding of economics (IIRC), which seemed to me to be missing the point if they have a solution to pervasive web-tracking.

Surely life, liberty and happiness means web privacy and not just financial privacy?

Offline bytemaster

Im just about to read through this post, and as the page was loading I noticed in my browser that its loading from googleadservices.

I know you have to have to monetize etc which is great but I consider tracking ads to be another form of violence.

Going to read what Im sure will another great post now...

Tracking ads are there so we can target people who have visited the blog as they visit other sites.  So as a result of this "tracking" you are likely to see BitShares ads on other sites you visit.

Whether or not it is "violence" is a debate I would like to see you defend. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Im just about to read through this post, and as the page was loading I noticed in my browser that its loading from googleadservices.

I know you have to have to monetize etc which is great but I consider tracking ads to be another form of violence.

Going to read what Im sure will another great post now...

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.