Author Topic: A Darkweb Through Keyhotee?  (Read 3023 times)

Offline bytemaster

There are 2 levels of privacy:

1) Source & Destination + Content is encrypted in which case no one knows whom is talking to whom or what they are saying
2) Content is encrypted but source/destination is not in which case the only information leaked is that two parties know each other.

The use case for #1 is relatively small, wikileaks and anonymous contacts. 
The use case for #2 is much more common and includes almost all of your daily communication.  There is no reason to hide the fact that you are talking to your friends and family if the government already has other means to know that you are in communication with them. 

Once you have #2 you can perform routing through your friends to their friends and so-on if you would like to avoid communication with any anonymous nodes.  This would be your darknet.   
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
It would be helpful if Stan or Bytemaster could enlighten us with the OP's question.

We will write more on this topic when we get past the holiday crunch.
Right now we are slammed with questions and deadlines.

If you have an urgent question and haven't heard from us, please ask again.
We try to respond to every inquiry but right now there is a massive overload of them.

We appreciate your patience.

:)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
It would be helpful if Stan or Bytemaster could enlighten us with the OP's question.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I've heard that it will be possible for Keyhotee to eventually turn into a new form of darkweb. While I understand that data sent from a user's computer into the BitMessage-like messaging system will be encrypted, won't the IP address of the user still be visible? I'm not sure how all this works technically, so I could definitely be wrong. As far as I know, this is still a problem for bitcoin as of right now.

As far as I understand it's not a dark web at all. It's pseudo-anonymous based around public key cryptography (the same as PGP). It also uses a bitmessage style system for messaging and that will make it so no one will know where the message goes.

For example if you broadcast a message to everyone at once then only the person with the key can open it but since everyone receives it then it's impossible to really do any traffic analysis so IP address might be useless.

Anyone who better understands can correct any details. As far as I know its obvious you're using Keyhotee to your ISP but they don't know and no one knows your messages.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum
I've heard that it will be possible for Keyhotee to eventually turn into a new form of darkweb. While I understand that data sent from a user's computer into the BitMessage-like messaging system will be encrypted, won't the IP address of the user still be visible? I'm not sure how all this works technically, so I could definitely be wrong. As far as I know, this is still a problem for bitcoin as of right now.

Good question, I am confused too.
Forum Donation: PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline kyletorpey

• View Profile