Author Topic: User Issued Asset Market Fees  (Read 5943 times)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
I get that an exchange can use a UIA in BTS's DEX, but what is the mechanism that they tie that UIA to something of value?

The value of UIAs is based on trust in the issuer. UIA holders are exposed to counterparty risk with respect to the issuer who is backing their value.

The part that is not clear to me is where is the collateral stored?  How do we know that the UIA can be redeemed?

The collateral/reserve in the case of the UIA is stored off of the BitShares blockchain. If this is a UIA that is an IOU for some cryptocurrency, then the reserve will likely be stored in that cryptocurrencies' native blockchain (likely controlled through keys held by the UIA issuer). If the UIA is an IOU for fiat, then the reserve will likely be fiat held in their traditional bank accounts. Note that they do not have to have full 100% reserve backing their IOUs but customers should demand that they do (also it should at least be more transparent to check on the blockchains in the case of cryptocurrency IOUs). The UIA may also have no real reserves and just be a promise to pay back the UIA holders in the future with something of value. Again, you are trusting the UIA issuer who is backing the value of the UIA and there is no guarantee that you can redeem the full value promised. You just have to trust that they actually will pay it back to maintain their reputation and continue their business model (and also their jurisdiction will likely consider it a security and therefore they will have a legal obligation to make their customer's whole if possible).

The UIAs are interesting because we want gateways to use them as a way of getting fiat into and out of the BitShares system. The companies we would typically be targeting to act as gateways are exchanges that have already enabled bank transfers of fiat into and out of their existing system. These exchanges are used to making their money through percentage fees on each trade, so their revenue scales with the volume of trading of their assets. We are asking them to not focus on the exchange features (order books, matching bids and asks) and instead only focus on the fiat gateway portion. Some exchanges may not be comfortable with such a huge change in their business model. This new feature now allows these exchanges to use their same business model to make money except BitShares does all their order book work for them and also stores the cryptocurrency assets so that liability isn't on the exchange anymore.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:09:41 am by arhag »

Offline ronpaulmoneyman

• View Profile
    • RonPaulMoney Site

Is there documentation that explains the range of features involved with these features?

I get that an exchange can use a UIA in BTS's DEX, but what is the mechanism that they tie that UIA to something of value?  Are there transactions where I can create an Asset and have it pegged to BTS. 

The part that is not clear to me is where is the collateral stored?  How do we know that the UIA can be redeemed?  Is there a quality in-depth example including the RPC calls that would walk through this process?  Can Bytemaster make such a document for his blog?  (Maybe it has been written?)

You will get adoption be either cold-contacting exchanges or by writing something quality that explains a typical usecase of how an exchange would create these assets. This serves as documentation which will help people implement things, but it can also be written in such a way to be spread on Social Media. I believe Bitshares.tv may have covered this but thats not my preferred media for technical things. There is no doubt there are others like me. (ie future potential partners of Bitshares)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
We are going to allow gateways to set a market fee just like they do today on their internal exchange.  This fee will have a rate between 0.000% and 10.000% of every trade.  This will help us get gateways to issue IOUs on our chain because they could keep the SAME business model they have today.

+5%

Just to clarify, UIA issuer only collects the percentage fee of the UIA, not of the other trading pair in BitAsset/UIA markets, correct?

And does that mean there could be two different percentage fees in a UIA-A/UIA-B market?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:27:07 pm by arhag »

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Nice change.

BTW, where do the fees go? Burned or going to reserve fund?

No they go to the UIA issuer, i.e. the exchange/gateway. This incentivizes them to want to allow their deposits to be traded on the blockchain.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Good change. +5%

Which gateway will issue the first IOU?

Beat me too it.. this was my question!  +5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
Nice change.

BTW, where do the fees go? Burned or going to reserve fund?
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
Good change. +5%

Which gateway will issue the first IOU?
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Nice this will make it a much easier sell +5%

Offline bytemaster

We are going to allow gateways to set a market fee just like they do today on their internal exchange.  This fee will have a rate between 0.000% and 10.000% of every trade.  This will help us get gateways to issue IOUs on our chain because they could keep the SAME business model they have today. 

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.