Author Topic: Consensus on the list of delegates  (Read 35108 times)

Offline Come-from-Beyond

• View Profile
What ensures that the shareholders agree on the list of delegates? If a delegate can be kicked off for misbehavior then the list can change instantly which is hard to achieve in a distributed system.

Offline edilliam

I'm trying to find out how BitShares work but some things are not clear to me. Unfortunatelly, these things are fundamental and I can't move ahead without understanding them. Could anyone answer two simple questions, please?

Do the shareholders have the same list of the delegates? If they do then how the consensus is achieved?

There are both unelected and elected delegates. BTS represents stake ("shares") in the BitShares DAC. Anybody that owns BTS can vote for their choice of delegates with their BTS. The more BTS a user has, the more votes they effectively have too. The 101 delegates that receive the most votes from this process become the elected delegates for the BitShares DAC. Users have to pay a fee to become a delegate, so not all users are necessarily delegates. Does this make sense?

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Do the shareholders have the same list of the delegates? If they do then how the consensus is achieved?

Yes all shareholders see the same list directly from the blockchain, which you can also see here: http://bitsharesblocks.com/delegates

Votes are added up and the top 101 get in. For example from the client I can see that the top delegate is yunbi with 18.64% of all BTS voting to approve them, i.e. 465,995,430 BTS.

Offline Come-from-Beyond

• View Profile
I wanted to know, what did you mean by 'move ahead'?

To dig deeper into BitShares internals.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Welcome Come-from-Beyond!

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

sumantso

I will let the smarter guys give you a proper answer rather than confuse you more with my attempts.

I wanted to know, what did you mean by 'move ahead'?

Offline Come-from-Beyond

• View Profile
I'm trying to find out how BitShares work but some things are not clear to me. Unfortunatelly, these things are fundamental and I can't move ahead without understanding them. Could anyone answer two simple questions, please?