Author Topic: Thoughts about Beyond Bitcoin Hangouts...(please give your opinions)  (Read 3598 times)

Offline fuzzy

Do raw only. I think of this as a live radio show.. May take some practice to keep the conversation/guests focused and dead air to a minimum.

I don't know if many people remember this, but there was actually a time when CSPAN recorded everything 100% live.  In fact, they even had cameras recording the dead air time.  Some "strange" people would actually monitor these cameras from their homes and caught politicians saying some really messed up stuff when they thought noone was listening/watching.  They were the outliers of our citizenry, though, and performed a very valuable service. 

That is kind of the reason why I was so interested in having open discussions and leaving them unedited.  However, I also understand that many people want us to have polished and professional sounding shows...which requires a level of editing. 

Deep down I resist going the latter route, but I also understand that if I'm going to lose funding for not having high viewership then I'm going to need to take a format more similar to "shows".  However, I do think that in time as people start realizing that the Beyond Bitcoin Server is starting to fill up with 4,5,6 or more guest speakers every Friday or Saturday that my vision of it being like a low-barrier-to-entry Conference Center is right on point.  (btw, this is ALREADY beginning to happen)

Do most conference centers have their own crews editing the Keynote and Guest speakers?  Or do they usually leave that to the guys/gals with press passes?

Sounds like a decentralized project management meeting.

There is certainly an element of that.  But that is only the first stage.  As you will see, we are going to start adding more people and more varied content.  The Dev Hangouts are only the first stage.  :)
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline VoR0220

Do raw only. I think of this as a live radio show.. May take some practice to keep the conversation/guests focused and dead air to a minimum.

I don't know if many people remember this, but there was actually a time when CSPAN recorded everything 100% live.  In fact, they even had cameras recording the dead air time.  Some "strange" people would actually monitor these cameras from their homes and caught politicians saying some really messed up stuff when they thought noone was listening/watching.  They were the outliers of our citizenry, though, and performed a very valuable service. 

That is kind of the reason why I was so interested in having open discussions and leaving them unedited.  However, I also understand that many people want us to have polished and professional sounding shows...which requires a level of editing. 

Deep down I resist going the latter route, but I also understand that if I'm going to lose funding for not having high viewership then I'm going to need to take a format more similar to "shows".  However, I do think that in time as people start realizing that the Beyond Bitcoin Server is starting to fill up with 4,5,6 or more guest speakers every Friday or Saturday that my vision of it being like a low-barrier-to-entry Conference Center is right on point.  (btw, this is ALREADY beginning to happen)

Do most conference centers have their own crews editing the Keynote and Guest speakers?  Or do they usually leave that to the guys/gals with press passes?

Sounds like a decentralized project management meeting.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

Offline roadscape

http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline fuzzy

IMO whether or not to post the raw shows depends on how long until the edited one it out.  Waiting 24 hours is different from waiting 3+ days.  Unfortunately the show is on Friday so I don't necessarily think someone should spend Friday night/Saturday morning editing the show.  So perhaps posting the raw shows is better?

Really though, you aren't changing the viewership at all not posting the raw edits, you're just forcing people to use a way to view them.  I used to find it very unmotivating to edit the show when lots of people had already listened to it, but if people are being paid then this is less of an issue.

i guess this is true if postin them to the same place instead of linking to them in dropbox/forums.. 

Offline gamey

• View Profile

IMO whether or not to post the raw shows depends on how long until the edited one it out.  Waiting 24 hours is different from waiting 3+ days.  Unfortunately the show is on Friday so I don't necessarily think someone should spend Friday night/Saturday morning editing the show.  So perhaps posting the raw shows is better?

Really though, you aren't changing the viewership at all not posting the raw edits, you're just forcing people to use a way to view them.  I used to find it very unmotivating to edit the show when lots of people had already listened to it, but if people are being paid then this is less of an issue.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline fuzzy

I think that they should be a work of art if we are going to post the link to reddit and tweet it to the world. Excellent marketing (even to our own community).

Has an audio hangout ever gone viral anywhere?
Yeah, you can make a short snippet out of something particularly enticing (though I don't know what that would have to be) but not the whole show.

beyond bitcoin mumble is basically intended to be a conference center.  So in that light, the question i have is should we edit the conferences (termed hangouts at the present small scale) or not? 

So i guess the question is, "what do bitcoin conferences do with the footage from their speaking engagements?"

The answer to that, i think, is that they keep them, charge people extra to have special press passes in order to record... keep the content under their ownership, edit it and sell it/post it for their own profit. 

If we are hoping to make it so we dont force people to pay for press passes... If we also want to turn it on its head so others can use the content for their own crypto news networks and monetize it in a decentralized manner, what do we do?

These are the questions at hand.  Just trying to steer the conversation back in the right direction. Continue onward!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:56:07 am by fuzzy »

Offline rgcrypto

• View Profile
    • Cryptoctopus Blog
I like both but go for the RAW whenever it's out.
Let's keep it a little bit more professional for the potential investors and users out there. (I enjoy the intro music)

One idea that may help us get more viewership would be to post our audio on BitShares Youtube Channel.

I look at my youtube subscription newsfeed way more often then soundclouds and it's a easy additional "rod in a new pond" for more exposure.

Keep up the good work and see you tonight?

Offline triox

• View Profile
  • BitShares: triox
I think that they should be a work of art if we are going to post the link to reddit and tweet it to the world. Excellent marketing (even to our own community).

Has an audio hangout ever gone viral anywhere?
Yeah, you can make a short snippet out of something particularly enticing (though I don't know what that would have to be) but not the whole show.

Offline LRENZ

• View Profile
  • BitShares: enz
Editing is pointless. Hangouts are supposed to be informational not a work of art.

Make them three hours long and post immidiatelly.

I agree with this 100%. The longer they are the better :)

Bitshares.TV needs to become like World Crypto Network where they have the main show and then sub-shows on different topics, live on Google hangout with guests and all.
Revolution is inevitable.

Offline onceuponatime

Editing is pointless. Hangouts are supposed to be informational not a work of art.

In order to make the hangouts more inclusive move them to google hangouts or skype. You're not going to have random people come in on the air so forget about this mumble contraption.

Have guests scheduled in advance and have questions ready. Take additional questions from the chatroom. Prevent dead air and you wont have the need to edit and  'clean up'. 
It'll require preperation and hard multitasking but you are the one to do it.

Offline triox

• View Profile
  • BitShares: triox

In order to make the hangouts more inclusive move them to google hangouts or skype. You're not going to have random people come in on the air so forget about this mumble contraption.

Have guests scheduled in advance and have questions ready. Take additional questions from the chatroom. Prevent dead air and you wont have the need to edit and  'clean up'. 
It'll require preperation and hard multitasking but you are the one to do it.

Offline fuzzy

edited versio are nice for everybode to listen.

i just start with the dropbox version because of the big delay.

It is far more time consuming to properly edit content than you would think.  Shows like LTB do not have to worry about this because they do not have similar formats to ours.  They have a hangout whenever they want and have nowhere near the constraints and openness to the community's input.  I just hope you will take this into consideration :)

(edited out shentist's name--didn't want to come across as a dick.  but it is true.  an hour hangout takes approximately 3-5 times as long to edit, depending on the "ums" and "ahs")   

I love having the raw option. If I couldn't make it live I will usually go for the raw download later that day. I only go for the edited content if I couldn't find the time to listen to the raw audio until the edited version is already uploaded.

In fact, I would go further and say it would be even better if we can get access to the raw content before the hangout even ends! :) That is possible if we were to do the Hangouts on Air integration with Mumble that Murderistic wanted to do at some point (where did he disappear to btw?). People could tune in 10 minutes late on the YouTube live stream and still watch from the beginning (and fast forward over the technical difficulty periods all the way up to the present live time).

That doesn't mean the edited content isn't still useful. People who aren't eager to get information ASAP can still get a lot of value out of listening to the nicely edited content (and those could have their own monetization strategies to pay for the editing costs and any other value added on top of the raw content).

Youtube and those hangouts as far as the Mumble Group are concerned are the realm of Bitmarket and BitSharesTV.  We just talked about this the other day.  If BitMarket would like to set something up and stream live via BitSharesTV, however, he could become the very first LIVE Correspondent...

Like I have said a hundred times before, and will say again.  I'm in this to lift everyone up.  Trust me, when we go up 10x in marketcap, we will have plenty of competition...but it will not be from people with the original vision.  That is why you see me actively promoting this philosophy. 

Now I have to get back to editing!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:26:57 pm by fuzzy »

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
I love having the raw option. If I couldn't make it live I will usually go for the raw download later that day. I only go for the edited content if I couldn't find the time to listen to the raw audio until the edited version is already uploaded.

In fact, I would go further and say it would be even better if we can get access to the raw content before the hangout even ends! :) That is possible if we were to do the Hangouts on Air integration with Mumble that Murderistic wanted to do at some point (where did he disappear to btw?). People could tune in 10 minutes late on the YouTube live stream and still watch from the beginning (and fast forward over the technical difficulty periods all the way up to the present live time).

That doesn't mean the edited content isn't still useful. People who aren't eager to get information ASAP can still get a lot of value out of listening to the nicely edited content (and those could have their own monetization strategies to pay for the editing costs and any other value added on top of the raw content).