Author Topic: Please help me recover my AGS  (Read 2408 times)

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
blahblah7up, on the other hand, probably took weeks to come up w/ his acct. name.

ha! 

Congratulations on getting the balance back.

I would ask this question in the Bitshares sub-forum or maybe in the Technical questions sub-forum (of the Bitshares sub-forum).

Account names registered on the blockchain are unique. There was even a rush to get certain names registered in the beginning and people squatting on names.

In your own wallet you can make many different accounts and use whatever names you want but if you try to register them on the blockchain and they are already taken it won't work.

This is my understanding.

Offline stupid_american

• View Profile
Quote from: vikram
Did you make any voting transactions in the original wallet?
Nope!

]You're in luck!  v.0.6.1 is already out
Indeed I am. I now have my old BTS balance in the new wallet. Thanks for your help guys!

It would be good if we could update our wallets from within the wallet. Perhaps incremental updates are possible for Github users (I don't know), rather than having to manually delete a wallet and download a new one. But I don't think you want to have your investor base be coders, at least not here in 2015 when hardly anyone knows how to code.

One issue I'm having is that it keeps asking me to rename my acct., saying that someone else already has that acct. name (which is probably me, of course, from a previous wallet). Would renaming my acct. hurt anything? Judging by my acct. name here, surely you can tell that I don't care much about what my acct. name is. blahblah7up, on the other hand, probably took weeks to come up w/ his acct. name.

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
Another way (if you feel comfortable using the console):

If you open the json file with a text editor you should be able to find the private key for that wallet.
It will look something like this, starting with a 5:

5JqiLmyjqFLZijGMfh3RmEDFgMgMFZZU3Q87qHbgxLNVkk7n1b9

!!Don't give that key out to anyone or post it anywhere because your funds can be stollen!!

Then, using the console you can import the key using wallet_import_private_key.
Read about the exact syntax first, using the console like this: help wallet_import_private_key
You may have to rescan the blockchain afterwards.

Otherwise wait for the next release as vikram suggests.

Private keys in the JSON backups are encrypted and still require the password.

Ok, thanks for the correction.  Forget everything I suggested stupid_american!

Offline vikram

If you open the json file with a text editor you should be able to find the private key for that wallet.

!!Don't give that key out to anyone or post it anywhere because your funds can be stollen!!

Read about the exact syntax first, using the console like this: help wallet_import_private_key

Private keys in the JSON backups are encrypted and still require the password.

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile

Offline vikram

Did you make any voting transactions in the original wallet? There is a known import failure in 0.6.0 which will be fixed in 0.6.1.

You can also try restoring your original wallet folder from trash to the default wallet location and try just opening it normally.

Offline stupid_american

• View Profile
If you really were successful in deleting the old wallet you would have been required to make a brand new account name and password when you installed v0.6.0.  Was that the case?  If so, I assume the passphrase it wants is the "password" from the old wallet.

If you weren't asked to create new login details from scratch when installing v.0.6.0, it means you didn't get rid of the old wallet completely and the problem is probably that it is not possible to import a wallet into itself, and the information about your funds is within the stuff you threw away.  In any case: DON'T EMPTY THE TRASH!

But it should be fine.  If you have the json file you are good.
Yeah, I had to make a new account name. I used same password when I signed up for a new account, but entering that password doesn't work when it asks me to enter a "pass phrase." The pass phrase is requested when I try to import the json. It claims it to be wrong and then locks me out. I can then get back into my new wallet again but cannot get my balance into the new wallet because that process (i.e. gettting into wallet, attempting go import json, wallet locking) just repeats itself.

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
If you really were successful in deleting the old wallet you would have been required to make a brand new account name and password when you installed v0.6.0.  Was that the case?  If so, I assume the passphrase it wants is the "password" from the old wallet.

If you weren't asked to create new login details from scratch when installing v.0.6.0, it means you didn't get rid of the old wallet completely and the problem is probably that it is not possible to import a wallet into itself, and the information about your funds is within the stuff you threw away.  In any case: DON'T EMPTY THE TRASH!

But it should be fine.  If you have the json file you are good.

Offline stupid_american

• View Profile
Hi. I am a Mac user. I had the Bitshares wallet installed. v0.4._

I had purchased AGS and then imported my private keys (i.e. the ones I used to purchases AGS) into that. So, I had a BTS balance in that wallet.

I tried to update the wallet to v0.6.0 from the update option within the wallet, but it wouldn't work. So, I exported my .json file and deleted the wallet. I still have the files, though, since I never emptied the Trash folder.

I then downloaded v0.6.0 and tried to import the .json. It asks me for my pass phrase, which I didn't know I even had. I just have my acct. name, my password, and the .json from the old wallet.

I keep failing the passphrase question. So now, I have the new wallet but with no BTS/AGS. Any suggestions?