Author Topic: Will Ethereum swallow us whole come March?  (Read 4319 times)

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Was this particular message sanctioned by "The Spokesman":P

I was wondering the same  ::)

None of the Dev's actually have to abide by the PR sanctioning rule... they are all being paid by the block chain and are free to do what they wish... Granted Dan could vote them out if they don't do as they are told
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:18:56 pm by lil_jay890 »

Offline bitsapphire

Ethereum any really any DAC with appcoins will be doomed to staying a niche in my opinion. I think its nice though that with the appcoins independent crypto development has been made possible.

At some point credit based DACs will pop up and they will be able to use all this R&D.
Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

Offline karnal

• View Profile

I was wondering the same  ::)

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
Guys stop pretending like 1.0 will bring some magic element that will finally make it marketable. Would your plans be thrown off if we released "1.0" tomorrow with nothing changed from the current version?

The concept of "1.0" is as harmful as "big marketing push" was.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

+5%

And please do not subscribe to "the Spokesman" idea.

I'll bet my entire crypto stash there won't be a 1.0 BTS client in March. I will be pleasantly surprised if there is a 1.0 client in time for the 11.05 snapshot anniversary later this year. Of course I'm still HODL'ing anyway...what other choice do I have when my investment has lost over 50% since I bought in?

In any investment there is risks.  Some are within our control, some are not.  We learn from our mistakes and we do better the next time.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:24:22 am by cube »
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Guys stop pretending like 1.0 will bring some magic element that will finally make it marketable. Would your plans be thrown off if we released "1.0" tomorrow with nothing changed from the current version?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

TurkeyLeg

Or do you think 1.0 will be ready and we'll finally get the liftoff we need? I haven't been keeping tabs on Ethereum's progress, but last I heard there was only gonna be a CLI client ready for launch in March? Anyone know how realistic their timeline is, compared to the BTS timeline? Can BTS beat them to the mark?

I'm also curious about the market cap of ethereum - I know they sold a ton in the presale, but will the presale price be sustainable? Would it be worthwhile to consider buying ethereum as soon as it comes out at whatever price, maybe as a 50% allocation of your portfolio?

Is the ethereum tech really all that it's being made out to be? Does it even matter, seeing as how they already seem to have network effect just due to the massive hype?

I realize this is more speculation than anything, but still...I'm curious on others' thoughts.

March is gonna be an interesting month...

I'll bet my entire crypto stash there won't be a 1.0 BTS client in March. I will be pleasantly surprised if there is a 1.0 client in time for the 11.05 snapshot anniversary later this year. Of course I'm still HODL'ing anyway...what other choice do I have when my investment has lost over 50% since I bought in?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:17:50 am by TurkeyLeg »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
On launch Ethereum will fall or get pumped, if the former you can buy on the low, if the latter you can wait for an inevitable crash and then buy in. If Ethereum decides to explode to like 1 billion I think in the end it would net us an increase in market cap as media starts hyping the 2.0 systems.

Offline roadscape

I haven't been keeping tabs on Ethereum's progress, but last I heard there was only gonna be a CLI client ready for launch in March?

Do you have a source for this by any chance?
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline Volker

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Volker
I'm don't really understand the question. BitShares and Ethereum aren't doing the same thing.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Could we strengthen the link between us and ethereum and both communities? Would it be possible for Dan to talk with Vitalik and do something like we're doing with Peertracks' Notes? Everyone who donated to ethereum did so using bitcoin from their own wallets if im not mistaken right? So the ethereum crew could check on to see if people are unhappy about not being able to get their coins and a snapshot would be taken and ethereum coins or whatever they are called could be issued in BitShares. Then once they have everything ready, another snapshot is taken and they freeze trading in BitShares, to be continued on their own client. To be honest I dont even know if this would be good or not for us, though it would certainly draw some attention. But it would definitely strengthen the ties between both communities or at least, it should. Just some random thought, don't even know if it's a good or bad idea lol

I think Dan and Vitalik are already in good communication. I think there are some fundamentals in terms of vision and how things should be run that don't quiet fit. It may seem in some respects to be similar but not quite the same.. like Marxism vs. communism for lack of a better comparison.. anybody can make a better comparison feel free :) .. figured the stateless society example was close?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Could we strengthen the link between us and ethereum and both communities? Would it be possible for Dan to talk with Vitalik and do something like we're doing with Peertracks' Notes? Everyone who donated to ethereum did so using bitcoin from their own wallets if im not mistaken right? So the ethereum crew could check on to see if people are unhappy about not being able to get their coins and a snapshot would be taken and ethereum coins or whatever they are called could be issued in BitShares. Then once they have everything ready, another snapshot is taken and they freeze trading in BitShares, to be continued on their own client. To be honest I dont even know if this would be good or not for us, though it would certainly draw some attention. But it would definitely strengthen the ties between both communities or at least, it should. Just some random thought, don't even know if it's a good or bad idea lol
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
The original pump might be one to get into... just because of the hype.. and some usecases that I've seen around.. some big companies using the technology to demo already. It may surprise people.. but the settling price may be back to around the IPO or double the IPO... and then depends on hwo the development goes from there.

Although I wouldnt sell any BTS for it.. I'd buy with any spare BTC I would get or other alts that are not 2.0 based. IE: dogecoin, litecoin namecoin primecoin... all of them should take a hit.

In fiat terms people who thought they were "smart" and bought into the IPO (people who bought with fiat) all have lost money. So the pump will have to contend with people trying to break even first... this should allow new money to get in at a bargain compared to IPO in fiat terms... its a risky investment because of these people who will want to break even... so id do only 5% of the crypto portfolio or something here which is already super risky to begin with.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
Over the past many months, which are there more of:
* New people who have heard of ethereum after the IPO and want to invest
or
* People who invested in the IPO but became frustrated with being unable to touch their money for so long and now want out.

Most of the IPO coins that I have seen either tank upon opening, or have a short pump and then tank.  Bitshares first tanked in July when it was released, before the august pump.

I expect Ethereum to do one of those things.  Its not going to be a fully formed product at release, and it had plenty of hype in the IPO.   It should have both pumps and dumps like any coin. 

I think it will be a great buy at points where it has suffered from dumps and everyone is depressed. 
You shouldnt buy hype in crypto.  Buy a coin when it is very unloved, sell if people get really excited about it.  Buying bitshares after the august pump was bad.  Buying when it was low in July, or now, is probably good.

+5% I missed out on the IPO but will be watching for the above. I will not be selling any BTS, just looking to pick up a few Ether for some balance in the 2.0 space.
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Over the past many months, which are there more of:
* New people who have heard of ethereum after the IPO and want to invest
or
* People who invested in the IPO but became frustrated with being unable to touch their money for so long and now want out.

Most of the IPO coins that I have seen either tank upon opening, or have a short pump and then tank.  Bitshares first tanked in July when it was released, before the august pump.

I expect Ethereum to do one of those things.  Its not going to be a fully formed product at release, and it had plenty of hype in the IPO.   It should have both pumps and dumps like any coin. 

I think it will be a great buy at points where it has suffered from dumps and everyone is depressed. 
You shouldnt buy hype in crypto.  Buy a coin when it is very unloved, sell if people get really excited about it.  Buying bitshares after the august pump was bad.  Buying when it was low in July, or now, is probably good. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I think many people will sell and redistribute into alts like Bitshares because they already lost on the BTC fall so they wont keep BTC... they probably will sell on the initial rise.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
Or do you think 1.0 will be ready and we'll finally get the liftoff we need? I haven't been keeping tabs on Ethereum's progress, but last I heard there was only gonna be a CLI client ready for launch in March? Anyone know how realistic their timeline is, compared to the BTS timeline? Can BTS beat them to the mark?

I'm also curious about the market cap of ethereum - I know they sold a ton in the presale, but will the presale price be sustainable? Would it be worthwhile to consider buying ethereum as soon as it comes out at whatever price, maybe as a 50% allocation of your portfolio?

Is the ethereum tech really all that it's being made out to be? Does it even matter, seeing as how they already seem to have network effect just due to the massive hype?

I realize this is more speculation than anything, but still...I'm curious on others' thoughts.

March is gonna be an interesting month...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:11:47 pm by nomoreheroes7 »