Author Topic: working on HW "wallet"  (Read 1222 times)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
faddat, I would like to hear your thoughts about possibly building a different device that is smaller, cheaper, more battery efficient, and more future-proof (and something I would be far more interested in using) which I have described in this post. This security token device can be in addition to the hardware wallet, but personally, I would rather use the product I describe (with multisig) rather than a full hardware wallet, which I view to be less upgradeable, more cumbersome and also not even as secure as multisig anyway.

tl:dr about the device: After setting it up with a multisig security provider, you can use this security token (which displays changing one-time codes) as multi-factor authentication for your full/light wallet running on your computer and/or mobile device. Since the device itself will have no way to verify who you are sending money to (or how much), the multisig security provider is the one that puts reasonable withdraw limits within a moving time window. If you exceed these limits (even with providing the correct codes), the multisig provider can demand more stringent proof of intent; this means even if someone steals your hot client private key AND your security token, there is still a limited amount of damage the thief can do until the time you are able to move your funds to a new account using your backup cold storage key.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:06:24 pm by arhag »

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
I'd rather see a raspberry Pi implementation of that.

Offline faddat

• View Profile
  • BitShares: faddat
This is not a cold storage device.  It is a wallet that runs on a teeny PC external to your PC.  It should be able to connect directly to your router with an Ethernet cable and to a USB 2.0a power supply and sit there and be your wallet indefinitely.  With your permission it could be the wallet of others behind your firewall, too.  Here's the million dollar question:

How much ROM storage (flash or nand or what have you....) Is "enough" to store not just today's blockchain but the blockchain of 2 years from today (I am only designing 12-24 months out, any further and my words will melt into oblivion)

Can anyone offer me guidance on this one?  I have 8gb on current devices but can increase that if needed.  Thanks very much for your feedback.