Author Topic: Light Wallet Beta Release  (Read 37939 times)

Offline matt608

• View Profile
@matt608: Do you know how to run the binary directly from a command line, so we can get some output indicating what exactly the error is? I might be able to figure out how to get it working by google-fu alone. Also, is your Snow Leopard system 64-bit? If not, that's the problem. :)

Unfortunately no, command line and I are old enemies.

It's 64 bit.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
ok yes ^^ my fault - works all like a charme now! Great work :)
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline modprobe

@matt608: Do you know how to run the binary directly from a command line, so we can get some output indicating what exactly the error is? I might be able to figure out how to get it working by google-fu alone. Also, is your Snow Leopard system 64-bit? If not, that's the problem. :)

Offline matt608

• View Profile
I have not tested on older versions of OSX. It's possible that it could be made to work, but until I have a machine or VM with an older OS, I can't test it or create builds which are confirmed working.

Is it easy to get VMs with old copies of OSX?

No idea sorry.  It's something that would be useful as a lot the people using the light client may have older machines, that could be why they want to use it instead of the full client.

Offline modprobe

I have not tested on older versions of OSX. It's possible that it could be made to work, but until I have a machine or VM with an older OS, I can't test it or create builds which are confirmed working.

Is it easy to get VMs with old copies of OSX?

Offline matt608

• View Profile
Are there specs for the required OS?  As reported works perfectly on 10.9.5.  Just tried on my 7 year old macbook with 10.6.8 and it doesn't open.  Any plans to make it work on older machines?

Offline modprobe

@arhag: Yeah, I still like the margin of error TITAN introduces as well. That being said, if you register an account with a 64 character random name, you're getting pretty much the same benefit for far less complexity.

@matt608: I agree with you, those aspects of the faucet should be polished a bit. I'll pass your comments on to Valentine. :)

Offline matt608

• View Profile
Thanks for the review, @matt608! I'm not sure I understand your suggestions. Are you referring to the faucet website? If so, I'll be sure to pass your thoughts on to Valentine, who maintains the faucet. :)

Yes, after registering an account there is the option to share the new account name on facebook or twitter from the faucet website.   On clicking through to share on facebook there's an image attached to the link (as there should be as links without images will get hardly any clicks), but the image didn't work. 

The other thing is the text that is automatically put into the facebook post has a link to the faucet when it would be better to link to bitshares.org. Maybe that appears because the sharing is happening from the faucet.   It would be better to change it if possible as sharing a link to the faucet is pointless.

The text that is automatically put in the twitter-share tweet doesn't have a link to bitshares.org either, I suggest that be added.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:01:59 pm by matt608 »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Awesome  +5% +5%

Can't wait for Windows :)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
That is correct. Which is pretty much the same amount of information I can data mine from TITAN transactions as well, especially if you vote with your stake. ;)

Yeah, I know. :(

It has a little more uncertainty though.

One day I hope we will have CryptoNote-like features.

Offline modprobe

That is correct. Which is pretty much the same amount of information I can data mine from TITAN transactions as well, especially if you vote with your stake. ;)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
The light wallet doesn't do anything with TITAN to send or receive at the moment

Okay, so I want to be clear about this: even if I have a full client with an account explicitly registered as a titan_account, I should still expect (for the time being at least) that any payments sent from a light wallet user to me will be fully public for the world to see?

Well, at least it will be fun data mining this information. :P
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:48:51 pm by arhag »

Offline modprobe

The light wallet doesn't do anything with TITAN to send or receive at the moment, and it will be a while before I consider implementing it. We need to solve several issues before we can seriously implement any TITAN in a light wallet. For now, even sending TITAN transfers is error-prone enough to distract from getting the core functionality of sending and receiving working, which means that it didn't make it into 1.0. I want to make absolutely sure this core functionality is rock solid before I build anything else on top of it.

And you're right, eventually it will store more information than is directly recoverable from the chain, at which point a more in-depth backup format will be needed. For now, though, the master password is all you need.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
Your backup is the master password it asks you to write down after you create an account. No other data is needed, and in particular, no files need to be safely stored, at least for now.

Does the light wallet allow outgoing TITAN transfers to titan_accounts? If so, how would it be able to restore the outgoing transaction history (recipient + memo) from just the master password? I can understand it sequentially scanning through derived private keys to determine the private key of the one-time public key in transactions that spend balances that were sent to its account key, but it still needs to know the public key of the recipient to derive the shared secret. (BTW, this is why I wish TITAN transactions at least stored the registered recipient's 32-bit account ID in encrypted form, similar to how the sender account ID is stored in the memo, except where the encryption key is HASH(one-time private key) so that the sender can decrypt it without knowing who the recipient is.)

Also, later on the light wallet user would still want to back up other local information from the client (like favorite contacts, pinned active keys for security reasons, delegate vote selections, etc.) so a JSON backup would still be useful.

Offline modprobe

Thanks for the review, @matt608! I'm not sure I understand your suggestions. Are you referring to the faucet website? If so, I'll be sure to pass your thoughts on to Valentine, who maintains the faucet. :)