Author Topic: I wanna try Bitshares, BUT..  (Read 6323 times)

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
If all goes well a hosted web wallet (blockchain-info-style) will be available today or early next week in beta.   Good enough to TRY.   

Is this it? https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=14323.0
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline bytemaster

If all goes well a hosted web wallet (blockchain-info-style) will be available today or early next week in beta.   Good enough to TRY.   

As long is there is no central control, authority or other company that can get hacked, then ok, maybe a web wallet would be ok, BUT,  I dumped my blockchain.info account since they are a central point of failure.

The thing that attracts me most to bitshares is the fact that it is totally decentralized. I don't ever want to past my private key into a site. Even keybase had me a bit concerned when i signed up with them for that reason. Not that I'm paranoid, but one of my companies puts bitcoin pos systems into stores and i want to stop selling bitpay because of their obvious liability and exposure to malicious types.

Right now, BTS is dirt cheap and I want in before the wallet comes out and every joe shmo gets in too. buy low sell high you know ;)

**Is there a step by step way to to install, signup, run and fund my new bts account now before that wallet is out?
Thanx :)
  -ken

The server NEVER stores your private key.  But you do have to trust it to serve you honest JavaScript.  This trust will be minimized via a chrome extension which will make the trust level much closer to a simple light wallet... ie: you must trust the serve to report honest data about other accounts.   
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I'm glad you've discovered BitShares. It brings blockchain decentralization to banking, exchange, and soon other types of business and finance. Yes, Max is doing a great job and we love his work. Please feel free to post in the General section of the forum, also, since more people are reading that and you often can get a more robust discussion going there.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

As long is there is no central control, authority or other company that can get hacked, then ok, maybe a web wallet would be ok, BUT,  I dumped my blockchain.info account since they are a central point of failure.

Welcome  :)

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
by the way, I love Bitshares.tv, Max is sharp. Not sure if he's a delegate, but he sure should be if he isn't. That show is how I discovered Bitshares :)
Thanx again! -ken
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise

The thing that attracts me most to bitshares is the fact that it is totally decentralized. I don't ever want to past my private key into a site. Even keybase had me a bit concerned when i signed up with them for that reason. Not that I'm paranoid, but one of my companies puts bitcoin pos systems into stores and i want to stop selling bitpay because of their obvious liability and exposure to malicious types.

Right now, BTS is dirt cheap and I want in before the wallet comes out and every joe shmo gets in too. buy low sell high you know ;)

**Is there a step by step way to to install, signup, run and fund my new bts account now before that wallet is out?
Thanx :)
  -ken
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline mdj

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mdj

Exciting :)

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
i'm a linux newb, been using for about a year and a half now, whenever i grab a new app i just use the software manager to do it. Obviously bitshares does not exist in the software manager so I am gonna try this via the bitshares website tar.gz, so here it goes:

1. Downloaded "bitsharesGUI-0.6.1-linux-x86_64.tar.gz"
2. Extracted it
3. double-clicked on the appp/executable "bitshares_client"
now what? nothing happens.

sad to say i was a windoze guy, but happily a linux mint guy now, decided to get rid of all m$ products. it made for an easy transition for my family too since mint was so similar to windoze. anyhooz..

i'd rather not do any github compile it stuff, would rather just run the executable, but it does nothing when i try to run it. ii even cmd lined it, checked the perms everything is fine there i guess, i have admin rights.

please give me an url or tip please, am dying to get into bitshares :)
thanx!
  -ken
www.PalmPay.chat