Author Topic: GPU Miner  (Read 2897 times)

Offline reorder

• View Profile
GPU vendors get most of their profits from selling laptop chips. HPC market for them is just a way to get some change for R&D they have already done for laptop/PC. It is hard to imagine a reason for them to add AES circuitry (export/import of which is also regulated by crypto regulations and implies extra licensing headaches).

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
Yes I don't think it will cost effective to build an AES ASIC for quite some time, if its even possible to get much better performance than stock hardware. Best approach might be to try to get aes-NI onto gpus. Even if they do arrive . . There is still a big capital cost, when all the CPU owners have zero capital cost and energy efficient chips.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline foolsh

• View Profile
That is good to hear, but now we'll have to look out for AES cracking ASIC chips to arrive on the scene.  But wait isn't that what a 6 core i7 is right now, just not specialized to the task like an ASIC is to the bit/lite/whatever/coin?
MMC: MMuq1vVQt16VsVBsfLWfXYLJ8PjTDUuD3H
PTS: PfWzKWzmAu3PJmHHZQ84VgQcoLEZbwcUbG

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
There's some good news about the development of a GPU miner -

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355532.msg4029312#msg4029312

Looks like a 7870 has approximately parity with a i7 4770.

Long live CPU mining.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher