Author Topic: Walk Me Through How I Go From Owning PTS on Exchange to Getting My Future Shares  (Read 6518 times)

Offline phoenix

• View Profile
Technically you didn't miss any DAC shares, although you did miss memory coin 2.0 honoring the PTS social contract with 1 memory coin for every 10 PTS you owned.

To back up your wallet, you need to find the wallet.dat file, and save it to someplace secure that you can retrieve it later if your main computer gets destroyed in a nuclear war, or just crashes and deletes everything. A more complete set of instructions can be found here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=826.0
Protoshares: Pg5EhSZEXHFjdFUzpxJbm91UtA54iUuDvt
Bitmessage: BM-NBrGi2V3BZ8REnJM7FPxUjjkQp7V5D28

Offline mint chocolate chip

Thanks,

Did I miss any DAC share issues since I bought in a couple months ago?

And when I have the file downloaded and the client running, that means my coin security is on my personal computer. People say to back it up, what does that entail doing? i.e. do I copy the file to other computers i own or what?

ty

Offline phoenix

• View Profile
Ok, first, you need to download the Protoshares client. Then, generate an address to send the PTS to. Finally, go to the withdrawal page on the exchange, and withdraw the PTS you have on the exchange to the address you generated (be sure to copy and paste the address so you don't mess it up). Then you just wait for the transaction to confirm, and you have your PTS on your wallet, entirely under your control.

The reason you should do this is because getting shares in future DACs is based on the private key that your PTS are stored in. If they're on an exchange, then the exchange could easily keep the private keys, and take all the DACshares for themselves. They might not even realize that they can do this, and leave hundreds or thousands of DACshares unclaimed.
Protoshares: Pg5EhSZEXHFjdFUzpxJbm91UtA54iUuDvt
Bitmessage: BM-NBrGi2V3BZ8REnJM7FPxUjjkQp7V5D28

Offline evisu1

• View Profile
Can I just use an online wallet such as the one offered by blockchain.info, or is that only for BTC?

as far as I know there's no online wallet for PTS, you'll need to download the client and run it yourself. When you do, create a PTS address and withdraw your funds from the exchange to your address.

I read here a month or so ago that having my PTS shares on the exchange and not in my wallet might complicate or preclude me altogether from getting the new shares that match my PTS shares.

I dont see why having it in an exchange would be any different from holding it in your own wallet (except for the security aspect) but then again I didnt read the thread you're referring to.

As for your other questions - i'm not sure.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:39:13 pm by evisu1 »

Offline mint chocolate chip

I read here a month or so ago that having my PTS shares on the exchange and not in my wallet might complicate or preclude me altogether from getting the new shares that match my PTS shares. I hope I haven't missed out on any since then as I have just left my shares on the exchange.

But as I am fairly new to all of this, can someone walk me through the steps I need to do to put my shares in the wallet so I don't miss out on these future opportunities and what if anything, I need to do after that so I can reap the benefits of investing in Protoshares.

Can I just use an online wallet such as the one offered by blockchain.info, or is that only for BTC?
Did I miss any DAC offerings that I should have been entitled to and what if anything can I do about getting those shares?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:53:37 pm by currencydebt »