Author Topic: Dividend Clarification  (Read 2145 times)

Offline loszhor

• View Profile
  • BitShares: loszhor
I see, thank you for the information. I have not yet voted on a delegate since starting my BitShare wallet endeavors. Does it matter if I participate in the voting process or not?

You can vote for yourself if you ran for for a delegate.
The direct implications stop there I guess.

However, as with any voting, the active involvement (especially with a good chunk of stake)
would benefit all.
Some delegates (developers, marketers, exchanges etc) rely on the delegate rewards for the compensation of their contribution. So, it would be nice at least to (learn and) support them.

Thank you again for the clear information you have given. I have another question in regards to dividends. If my BitAssets or BitShares are currently in an order does that disqualify them from receiving dividends? Example, I have 200 BitUSD within my wallet, 100 of which is on a sell order and the other 100 is not in use, would this mean that only the 100 BitUSD that is not in any kind of use can receive a dividend or can the whole 200 BitUSD receive regardless of what it is doing so long as I fully own it?

Offline fundomatic

• View Profile
I see, thank you for the information. I have not yet voted on a delegate since starting my BitShare wallet endeavors. Does it matter if I participate in the voting process or not?

You can vote for yourself if you ran for for a delegate.
The direct implications stop there I guess.

However, as with any voting, the active involvement (especially with a good chunk of stake)
would benefit all.
Some delegates (developers, marketers, exchanges etc) rely on the delegate rewards for the compensation of their contribution. So, it would be nice at least to (learn and) support them.

Offline loszhor

• View Profile
I think think the terms now are that you hold onto the Bitshares or BitAssets for at least 24 hours then you must transfer them via a trade or out of your wallet and depending on how long you held on to them you will receive a dividend. Is that correct?

Also, is it necessary to continually have my wallet open similar to proof of staking?

Thank you.

I'm not an expert but your understanding seems correct.

Your DPOS (delegated proof of stake) participation happens when you approve a delegate and transfer funds. I think in the current GUI version, when you vote, your funds in the account are transfered back to you and the voting stake equal to the amount of funds either added or subtracted (depending on your choice) from the delegate's total vote share. If a delegate receives more votes (represented by the BitShares stake) than the 101th active delegate, he/she starts producing the blocks and collecting rewards. The delegate knocked out of the 101th place becomes a delegate in waiting.

That's it. You can have your client switched off untill you need it or ready to vote again.

Offline fundomatic

• View Profile
I think think the terms now are that you hold onto the Bitshares or BitAssets for at least 24 hours then you must transfer them via a trade or out of your wallet and depending on how long you held on to them you will receive a dividend. Is that correct?

Also, is it necessary to continually have my wallet open similar to proof of staking?

Thank you.

I'm not an expert but your understanding seems correct.

Your DPOS (delegated proof of stake) participation happens when you approve a delegate and transfer funds. I think in the current GUI version, when you vote, your funds in the account are transfered back to you and the voting stake equal to the amount of funds either added or subtracted (depending on your choice) from the delegate's total vote share. If a delegate receives more votes (represented by the BitShares stake) than the 101th active delegate, he/she starts producing the blocks and collecting rewards. The delegate knocked out of the 101th place becomes a delegate in waiting.

That's it. You can have your client switched off untill you need it or ready to vote again.

Offline loszhor

• View Profile
Good day,

I recently started investing in BitShares and I wanted clarification on what the terms of receiving dividends are. There appears to have been changes over time and I want to get the most recent procedures to follow before diving any deeper. When I first learned of BTS I thought that I merely bought BitAssets with BTS and I hold onto them for dividends similar to this explanation: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=755.msg10275#msg10275 This post was from November of 2013 and may very well be out of date. I think think the terms now are that you hold onto the Bitshares or BitAssets for at least 24 hours then you must transfer them via a trade or out of your wallet and depending on how long you held on to them you will receive a dividend. Is that correct?

Thank you.