Author Topic: [DAC proposal] Decentralised Forum Software  (Read 7042 times)

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Not sure, never heard of retroshare.
I've used Aether tho, still have it installed, but not too many people are using it so not many threads appear yet.
It looks like a good start tho, I'm a big fan of minimalism.
It does need color tho for some ui ease, I love Discourse, would love to see a decentralzed version of Discourse, in my ideal world of course ;)
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
Aether.
http://getaether.net

That is a decentralized forum app. It's new, simplistic, but I imagine it could be expanded quite a bit to look more like Discourse or something (Maidsafe.org uses Discourse).

Do you know how Aether compares to RetroShare?

http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/index.html

EDIT: To clarify, is it just forums, and are they fully copied to each node?  How does discovery work?  The website is pretty short on details.  RetroShare uses PGP public keys as identifiers with DHT for discovery and supports forums, IM, and mail through the network of connected friends.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:06:07 pm by Troglodactyl »

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Who will build it and at what cost?
Blockchain based forum?
Who: well funded developer team, somewhere, say 5 hero developers, 1 year
Cost: ballpark $2M USD
For the blockchain based internet, you can probably scale that by a factor of 10.
Both of these will be developed eventually, its just a question of when really.

Screw that, I can get you reliable coders out of Latvia and Ukraine for a 20th of USD prices and they'll usually get the job done twice as fast too.
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Aether.
http://getaether.net

That is a decentralized forum app. It's new, simplistic, but I imagine it could be expanded quite a bit to look more like Discourse or something (Maidsafe.org uses Discourse).
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline monsterer

If there is decentralize forum, there should be a centralize moderators.
Otherwise it should be like reddit style with up or down vote.

Moderators could be voted in.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline joele

• View Profile
If there is decentralize forum, there should be a centralize moderators.
Otherwise it should be like reddit style with up or down vote.

Offline monsterer

This is not a trivial DAC to build. I think the first step is rebuilding a centralized forum to follow some standard protocol so that a local client can locally reconstruct any part of the forum by simply requesting the content-addressable blobs of data from the host (or anyone else on the internet) that are necessary to reconstruct that part of the forum.

You might argue that these exact same set of requirements are true of any current blockchain implementation; there is a lot of irrelevant data which everyone is forced to download.

Advancements in the core technology ought to allow this intelligent pruning to 'just happen' as long as the new chain is designed sympathetically.

In my vision for this idea, it would actually have a separate blockchain to store its data rather than using features from the BTS chain as I suspect there might be a lot of compromises due to the mismatch of the different 'entities' required between both designs.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
Here is an idea:

Set it up like yahoo answers. So if someone has a technical question, or trading question or whatever about BTS then it would cost them a certain amount. Then what the OP could do is they could select a best answer and the person who is awarded this would receive a % of the post fee. This would work really well for a technical question as people could be rewarded for helping.

I hope that makes sense.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline bytemaster

I think getting $0.02 out of someone every time they post is making a killing as forums go.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

The real question is this, how much revenue does this bitsharestalk.org have to earn to handle all of our posts + DOS etc?

Who would use a forum that cost money every time they made a post?   

There are so many completely free forums out there.

If you look at it another way, Bitcoin Foundation forum is "closed" except to those who have purchased a yearly member ship.   What is the cost-to-post on their forum? 

I suspect that if the core developers and support staff moved to the internal forum for all communication, then people would pay to post just to get their attention.   
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Also I was thinking more like $0.25 - $1 to post.

:o

P.S. This post would have never happened if it would have cost me $1.  :)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Also I was thinking more like $0.25 - $1 to post.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bytemaster

How much does it cost to store a full block?

Maximum Block Size = 51200 bytes or about 160 GB per year. 

You are right, we will have to increase transaction fees to cover storage / bandwidth costs if we end up maxing out every single block.

If the average transaction is 1KB in size, that means we have about 50 trx per block or $1 per block or $31,000 per year in transaction fees per delegate to cover the costs.
If someone posts transactions that are 50KB each revenue would fall to just $624 per year per delegate.   Or $624 per year to store 1.6 GB of data, much cheaper to use free services rather that spam blockchain.

That is a fairly large discrepancy in revenue, but I suspect increasing the fees slightly if this was abused.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Posts are limited to the maximum transaction size. 
We charge a fixed-fee-per-transaction which should price in the "maximum transaction size" so that we can have simple pricing (like iTunes). 

So if $0.02 isn't enough for the maximum transaction size then we should increase fees.

How many bytes would $0.02 get you? This seems like a totally useless feature for anything other than time-stamping a hash of some data into the blockchain. That is useful to prove you were the first to post some important piece of data or to prove to someone that some data (whatever the data may be) is being censored. But this is only a tiny part of a decentralized forum.

It won't cover hosting the actual post in a decentralized way. As I mentioned, with 2 cents per post and the current average daily post count, the revenue is only $240/month. And that's assuming the daily post count doesn't drop with a 2 cent per post fee (let's not even get into the ghost town this forum would be if you increased the fee to much higher than 2 cents). If you want to do this on the blockchain with DPOS, that means each delegate only gets approximately $2.40/month for the burden of hosting all of the data on this forum. At that point it is just altruism. It makes more sense to just hire a 100% paid BTS delegate to fund the current bitsharestalk.org forum. That doesn't make the forum decentralized though nor does the model scale to other forums that have nothing to do with BTS.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:49:06 pm by arhag »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Or just charge well in excess of the "true" cost and don't make it complicated.

ack, bm beat me to it.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.