Author Topic: Operating system, DAC  (Read 1881 times)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
You could do it but that should come after you have a distributed ownerless filesystem.  This is being worked on right now conceptually and sounds a lot like Storj so I would just wait a bit on the operating system idea because it might be 5 years away from construction. I just want to point out that it is theoretically possible.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

Unfortunately any OS based DAC would have to be open source which means that someone will release a version that does not enforce payment.

However, I could see a DAC that allowed users to speculate on the relative value of different operating systems as a means for developers to make money.  They bet on their OS of choice, then work to improve it, and the market's estimation of its value will increase.

No paywall required.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
I have been thinking of how to create a DAC that provides an operating system to users. Thereby creating a DAC competitor to Microsoft, Apple etc.

The DAC will provide a free market OS whos development will be funded from its own decentralized currency. Thereby removing the need for donations and increasing the funding available for software development.

Create a clone of Ubuntu (or any other open-access OS, or start a completely new one). Lets call this OS; OS-DAC.

OS-DAC requires payment of OS-shares to enable its use.

People can then mine OS-shares and use them to purchase/enable OS-DAC for their PC.

People who then own OS-shares become stakeholders in OS-DAC and would therefore want to improve on the operating system so that it becomes more valuable thus pushing up the value of their OS-shares.

The value of OS-DAC compared to Windows, Ubuntu etc will be derived from the value put in by the community who own OS-Shares.

For example, if OS-DAC is cloned from Ubuntu. Then the relative value of Ubuntu compared to OS-DAC would be dependable on the value put in by the two different communities. The one community will consist of persons who own OS-shares and want these shares to appreciate while assisting in providing free market solutions. The other already existing community consists of persons working for the Ubuntu organization and rely on donations.

Issues:
where do we store the OS, as a torrent?
how do we set up a pay wall for use of the OS?
Im sure there are lots more issues.

I think this is an interesting idea; new competition, incentive to develop, provides funding for OS dev, no need for donations.

I am interested to hear what the ever expanding PTS community thinks
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 08:56:06 pm by MrJeans »