Author Topic: BTS: .P2P .DAC - Decentralized DNS using the BitShares blockchain!  (Read 17420 times)

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
 +5% +5% +5% +5% +5%
I've got an army of Raspi's and BBB's on the ready.
We can PM again a good time to skype, I also would like to discuss the IoT ramifications of this.
And bring in a few other contacts I've made.
Thanx again Zach :)
Chat soon,
  -ken
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline indolering

• View Profile
My apologies for being late to the discussion, I'm not much of a forum person and I didn't get an email from Ken until recently.  I'll try to explain what I can about the delays in tomorrow's hangout, but things are in full swing and we are working towards a viable decentralized domain name system.  However, I would love more smart people pitching in!

As far as what we need right now, the most important next step is a threshold signature scheme that can produce vanilla RSA signatures.  This allows us to build a system in which delegates can sign zone exports using DNSSEC.  This requires hiring a cryptographer/mathematician/programmer to implement a scheme outlined in academia and it's what my delegate pay will be funding initially.

Browser add-ons and system level integration is another important step.  Namecoin's middleware, NMControl, is designed for this task and it will act as the backend for the browser OS level integrations.  NMControl is modular, the plan is to change the name and add BitShares support.  We also need to switch to Python 3, create a MITM-proxy plug-in, and port over Unbound.  If you are python programmer and interested in helping out, head over to the Github repo.

In terms of lightweight clients, BitShares has a long way to go.  Indeed, the primary reason for launching a DNS specific DAC is to improve the lightweight client situation.  The only thing that should be stored in the blockchain are public key fingerprints and nameservers, waiting ten minutes just isn't a big deal and bloats storage requirements.

But since DPoS embraces delegation of trust, I'm not sure it would be that much better than just relying on DNSSEC signed zone exports (and thus keeping everything within the BitShares blockchain).  The system works by having two keys, a Zone Signing Key (which signs zones) and a Key Signing Key (which signs the Zone Signing Key).  Delegates will sign zone files using the Zone Signing Key (ZSK).  If a certain threshold of delegates are proven to be producing incorrect zones, the KSK could sign a revocation of trust in the old ZSK and sign a new ZSK. Software trusting the KSK wouldn't need to be updated unless the blockchain chose a new KSK for some reason.  Even if a new KSK is needed, the new KSK can be signed by the old KSK, ensuring interoperability until software is updated.

Note that this is all threshold crypto, a certain number of delegates are required to produce a valid signature.  For the beta period, I think the KSK should be controlled by the developers and some mutually untrusted third parties in Iceland and other jurisdictions.  This is actually more robust than the system we have for signing the client software.  However, we could also setup a system for voting, similar to how delegates are voted in now.

So there you have it, I think that the important next steps are the RSA threshold scheme, upgrading NMControl, and a lot of political engagement and public relations work.

If you want to help out, start by hacking on NMControl and voting in my sec.indolering delegate!  After I get that one approved, I will pay the fee on the remaining delegates.

After my delegates get approved, I will post monthly updates and make an effort to visit the forum regularly.  You can also shoot me an email at zachlym@indolering.com.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
@toast is the DDNS man among men, please don't misunderstand what I said above. I hope he can assist us with this.

I need all hands on deck for this DDNSWG. This massive project will fundamentally change everything we thought we knew we needed DNS to do -if that makes any sense :o

www.PalmPay.chat

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
..yet another reason why my DDNSWG is so important:
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-websites-fight-censorship-russian-court/

If we don't get DDNS in gear quick, the UN's Order to shut down ALL crypto wallet sites, etc. may come like a thief in the night.
Come on guys, give me your vote on the Poll up there, please.

imagine:
btsd:land.kencode.office.printer.queue("QUANTITY") or..
btsd:land.kencode.home.kitchen.oven("CURRENT_TEMP") or..
btsd:web.kencode or..
btsd:web.kencode.kontakt or..
btsd:web.kencode.projekte or..
btsd:mail.kencode or...
btsd:call.kencode

www.PalmPay.chat

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Yep, once I have the members assembled for the DDNSWG I will create a pinned thread (that hopefully I can Moderate), possibly in @gamey 's "Task Forces" section here:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/board,70.0.html

Gamey expressed that he might be dumping it though, so we'll have to discuss it when that time comes.

There's also a wiki and press/PR sections where I may soon be maintaining threads.
I hope to be voted in as a Delegate so I can work full time BitShares.
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline crypto4ever

• View Profile
Why don't we have a Bitshares forum devoted to DNS?

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
It never hurts to ask, right?

Guys, I could really use your upvote on my comment here:
http://cointelegraph.com/news/114050/change-is-coming-how-the-blockchain-will-transform-the-domain-name-business#comment-1985672450

By upvoting my comment, please, it will help me to bring my DDNS Working Group (DDNSWG) to fruition for us.
Please and thanx :)
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
spent some time on skype with Oleg today, he is very open to my ddns working group. he is the emercoin dns core developer and "tech lead". he has developed a very nice solution for the squatting issue too. he wrote an open api that our ddns model can work with. emercoin.com/EmerCoin_and_OpenSSH is also a great resource. he has registered about 200 domains so far on their blockchain. opennic is working with emc as well. once i speak a bit more with Bas over at NXT i think ill start putting all this into a spreadsheet in google docs that we can collab on. by working together on ddns, we all win. as usual, ill keep the BitShares community updated. sorry for my grammar here, on tablet while my crappy wallet pc is upgrading to 0.9.0.

+5%

SuperDDNSNET incoming? :)

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
spent some time on skype with Oleg today, he is very open to my ddns working group. he is the emercoin dns core developer and "tech lead". he has developed a very nice solution for the squatting issue too. he wrote an open api that our ddns model can work with. emercoin.com/EmerCoin_and_OpenSSH is also a great resource. he has registered about 200 domains so far on their blockchain. opennic is working with emc as well. once i speak a bit more with Bas over at NXT i think ill start putting all this into a spreadsheet in google docs that we can collab on. by working together on ddns, we all win. as usual, ill keep the BitShares community updated. sorry for my grammar here, on tablet while my crappy wallet pc is upgrading to 0.9.0.
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
ok, ill discuss that with them as well. awaiting emc reply now. i have added this info to my delegate proposal, in the cointelegraph thread.
with emc, my decentralized dns working group, ddnswg, will consist of 5 companies and about 7 experts so far..
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I think you should contact EMC Dev (emercoin.com) to cooperate for decentralized DNS.

will do. i'll contact them as well. i am working with Bas over at NXT on this too. this joint deal will be huge for BitShares, watch me.

btw, it seems emercoin is in need of an exchange  :P
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I think you should contact EMC Dev (emercoin.com) to cooperate for decentralized DNS.

will do. i'll contact them as well. i am working with Bas over at NXT on this too. this joint deal will be huge for BitShares, watch me.
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
While I voted for after 1.0, there is nothing wrong with getting someone to work on it right away if that happens in parallel to 1.0.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:33:16 pm by Ander »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads