Author Topic: Hangout Questions for Bytemaster (Due Friday @ 10:00am EST)  (Read 9332 times)

Offline yellowecho

summer?Means nothing will happen on bitshares this 3-5months.
sell signal.

It's not a sell signal. HODL signal

The difference between an investor and a trader.  Traders chase shiny object while investors sit on gold.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
My question:

Can you give any more details about how we are going to generate more fees to become deflationary again? Is it by more of perfecting the product & making it accessible, or is it by strategic partnerships that cant be disclosed?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I have three related questions:

I myself can't see a better system than DPOS for BitAssets but maybe you can. Since you (BM) said on a mumble hangout two weeks ago that the Bitshares team is working on getting the fundamentals right (industrial grade blockchain technology, scaling etc.)...

1) Does the Bitshares team consider any changes to the consensus mechanism (DPOS at the moment)? Bitsaphire has suggested a few very interesting ideas in a mumble session about two weeks ago.
2) Do you see voter apathy as a problem? Voter apathy having two dimensions: a) Quantitative: amount of shares that votes. b) Quantitative: quality of shareholders decisions.
3) How fundamental is the consensus mechanism? How easy / difficult is it to replace it?

If this is better answered on the forum I can open a tread too...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:18:02 am by delulo »

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
sell signal.

It's not a sell signal. HODL signal
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

lzr1900

sell signal.
you never have anything positive to say.  troll troll troll.
you're not an investor, you're a complainer.
you like it or not.
this is truth.

Offline yellowecho

sell signal.
you never have anything positive to say.  troll troll troll.
you're not an investor, you're a complainer. 
696c6f766562726f776e696573

lzr1900

sell signal.

zerosum

BitUSD 3.0 will be different than BitUSD

Combined with the statement that they will exist in parallel  = very very bad idea!

the old bitUSD and (short bitUSD) should have a way to exit...if both systems exist in parallel it should be the same bitUSD to let them do just that.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
I think hard forks should be few and far between so everyone can rely on a stable platform rather than a moving target.

Agreed, but that is very different than "our LAST hard fork".

Also, as long as the API for Turing complete smart contacts (or DApps, etc.) does not change with the hard fork, I see no problem with having hard forks as frequently as once a year (if there is something worth to update that is). Changes of that nature would not affect any of the work other developers have done to build on top of BitShares but could provide much needed improvements to the protocol.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 08:01:05 pm by arhag »

Offline bytemaster

When we announce the roadmap will be included... but it will only have 1 item on it and that is turing complete smart contracts which will be our LAST hard fork.

That's a ridiculous statement. Unless by "our LAST hard fork" you mean the last one done with a hard fork block number decided by the core devs in an update to the client instead of through a decentralized hard fork voting mechanism built into the blockchain protocol.

I can think of so many improvements to the BitShares protocol for the future which simply cannot be replicated with Turing complete smart contracts (and some are more than just improvements to the consensus protocol). The LAST hard fork of BitShares will occur when BitShares is on a steep downward path to insignificance and obsolescence. Until then hard forks are how the protocol improves and stays relevant against the competition (of course not too frequently as it matures). Even protocols critical to the Internet infrastructure need to be updated from time to time (e.g. IPv4 to IPv6).

I think hard forks should be few and far between so everyone can rely on a stable platform rather than a moving target.   There is no point in hard-forking to add new features if the core features are not being utilized.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
When we announce the roadmap will be included... but it will only have 1 item on it and that is turing complete smart contracts which will be our LAST hard fork.

That's a ridiculous statement. Unless by "our LAST hard fork" you mean the last one done with a hard fork block number decided by the core devs in an update to the client instead of through a decentralized hard fork voting mechanism built into the blockchain protocol.

I can think of so many improvements to the BitShares protocol for the future which simply cannot be replicated with Turing complete smart contracts (and some are more than just improvements to the consensus protocol). The LAST hard fork of BitShares will occur when BitShares is on a steep downward path to insignificance and obsolescence. Until then hard forks are how the protocol improves and stays relevant against the competition (of course not too frequently as it matures). Even protocols critical to the Internet infrastructure need to be updated from time to time (e.g. IPv4 to IPv6).

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
How concrete is "this summer"? I remember quite a few things were supposed to be coming "last December" that never materialized...also, summer is kind of broad. I like to think of summer as being here as soon as the sun comes out (May - June), but summer can technically be considered active until late September or so.

"This summer" will end up being mid 2016, just like "1.0 by christmas" is Dec 25, 2015. :P

'Oh, you thought we meant Northern Hemisphere summer!?'  :P

- how long are your monday meetings?
- what can possible be more important than non-classified talk? ( :P )
- how is the bitasset3.0 proposal implemented in parallel to bitassets1.0?
- will it be the "same" market/asset just an extra set of features? or will it be a different token?
- will bitassets3.0 be a 1.0 feature?
- when will we have a rough roadmap that can be put on the webpage?

Monday meetings are from 10 am through lunch. 
We will share those plans with you once we get everything ready for public consumption (this summer)
1.0 has been postponed due to BitAssets 3.0...
We will have a documented, tested, stable protocol definition this summer that will not need to change that includes the referral system

We are implementing the "implement then announce" rather than the "announce and then implement" approach to avoid missing deadlines and killing buzz or confusing the market.   When we announce the roadmap will be included... but it will only have 1 item on it and that is turing complete smart contracts which will be our LAST hard fork.

BitUSD is like...

BitUSD 3.0 is the one that will actually sell

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:29:43 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
How concrete is "this summer"? I remember quite a few things were supposed to be coming "last December" that never materialized...also, summer is kind of broad. I like to think of summer as being here as soon as the sun comes out (May - June), but summer can technically be considered active until late September or so.

"This summer" will end up being mid 2016, just like "1.0 by christmas" is Dec 25, 2015. :P
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
- will it be the "same" market/asset just an extra set of features? or will it be a different token?

We will share those plans with you once we get everything ready for public consumption (this summer)
We will have a documented, tested, stable protocol definition this summer that will not need to change that includes the referral system

We are implementing the "implement then announce" rather than the "announce and then implement" approach to avoid missing deadlines and killing buzz or confusing the market.   When we announce the roadmap will be included... but it will only have 1 item on it and that is turing complete smart contracts which will be our LAST hard fork.

Offline bytemaster

will the basic performance still be improved before 1.0 ?

By 1.0 performance problems will be a thing of the past.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.