Author Topic: The Satanic Temple of Detroit now accepts BTC Donations  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
[Who the hell knows? If it ain't half empty, it's half full. Maybe both.

hahah.....well according to quantum theory!

Offline fuzzy

Hilarious. :)  I am reminded of the show Silicon Valley where they all go to the Gilfoyle character's satanic meeting and they eat Chick-Fil-A chicken.

This^^^ lol...

"Now, I know that we don't agree with all of Chick-Fil-A's views, but its just so darn good".

Later:

"I shouldnt have eaten that satanic chicken!"
Lol..

I sometime feel like we are in that show...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:10:50 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Hilarious. :)  I am reminded of the show Silicon Valley where they all go to the Gilfoyle character's satanic meeting and they eat Chick-Fil-A chicken.

This^^^ lol...

"Now, I know that we don't agree with all of Chick-Fil-A's views, but its just so darn good".

Later:

"I shouldnt have eaten that satanic chicken!"
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

This^^^ lol...

Offline Ander

• View Profile
You know...it is funny.  I used to not believe anything in the Bible...but as I grow older, I see the trends reflected very strikingly.  SO I have recently started considering the following:

Have you ever played a video game where they had books that gave you information you would need to win?  The books are a kind of guide.  Well what if something/someone ensured a book like this was made for our world?  What if we are, in fact, in a very very realistic "virtual reality" scenario?  Wouldn't it be entirely possible that the books of the Bible (and other similar religious texts) were placed here for the same reasons?

Big stuff.  All I care about is having control over my life.

That Religions / religious texts can contain things which are wise and seem very relevant to our lives, does not imply that they must have been inserted into our reality by some entity outside of it, whether a divine creator, or a programmer of a simulation.  After all, if they were created by humans as a collection of the wisdom of those humans, they will contain some things that seem to be 'good morals', 'wisdom about human experiences', 'how we should treat each other', etc, because humans will have recorded the things they learned about how a society should work and how its people should interact.  Of course, they might not agree with everything our culture now believes about human morality, since our society changes and evolves, and it might decide things such as "slavery is evil" and "you should genocide other races" and "homosexuality doesnt hurt anyone, you should let people life and love the way they want". 

Examining the evidence it seems very likely to me that these holy books reflect the cultural beliefs of the humans that lived when they were written.  For example, we all believe very strongly now that slavery is evil.  We all think "if there were a divine creator who was supremely good, certainly this being would also think slavery is evil!".  Thus, we should predict that if the ancient holy books were written by such a Divine creator, they would say slavery was evil.  When we observe them, we see that the really old ones support and accept slavery.  So our observation supports the hypothesis "they were written by the humans that lived at those ancient times".

If you want to now make a hypothesis "our universe is a simulation created by some beings, and holy books are put into the simulation by those being for X purpose", then here are some more things to consider:

This hypothesis considers that these books were inserted into the simulation, but how was that achieved? 
If the simulaiton started at the big bang, and ever since then everything in the universe has evolved according to the laws of physics, then how were things inserted into it?  Also, why are the things being modified in the simulation such complex structures?  That is, consider that the laws of physics determine the laws of chemistry, which then determine biology, which then determine how a human brain works.   Are beings outside the universe really making modifications to the computaiton of the universe as it is running?  Is the idea of outside beings 'hacking' the universe's state at such a high level at all realistic?  If the universe is hackable in this way, like a computer programmer inserting a breakpoint in a program, and going in and changing the value of a variable, then why are we unable to find any evidence of this occurring?  Why do all our observations seem to follow physical laws?

If the simulation began much more recently, such as during human history, with an initial state that included these holy books, then why was this point chosen?  If the creators of the simulation chose to interfere in such a way, then clearly humans are very important, so why did they make so many different stars, in so many different galaxies, in so many different galactic clusters, and have the simulation provide computation for all of this universe, if the part here on earth is the important part? 

If the creators of the simulation started it at such as initial point, how would they have made its past history so internally consistent?  That is, why does it look to all our measurements like the universe began at the big bang point, and passed through almost 14 billion years of computation to arrive at the present state?  If it had been created at an initial state thousands of years ago, how could everything about that state have been so carefully constructed that it appears to provide a clean history of how that state evolved over time, through the laws of physics, in such a completely consistent way?

I guess I could continue on, but I should just stop and post a link to some wirting that could do a much better job than I could, and suggest that everyone should go read this:
http://www.amazon.com/Rationality-AI-Zombies-Eliezer-Yudkowsky-ebook/dp/B00ULP6EW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430434666&sr=8-1&keywords=rationality%3A+ai+to+zombies
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline onceuponatime

Marketing in a Digital World
In the Digital Marketing Specialization from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

https://www.coursera.org/learn/marketing-digital/outline?module=1fvv7

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
As a Christian, I approve of a surprisingly high percentage of what I've seen coming out of the Satanic Temple.

Offline Ander

• View Profile

Satanism seems silly to me.  If you believe in "man’s inherent nature, representative of the eternal rebel, enlightened inquiry and personal freedom rather than a supernatural deity or being", to quote the text above, arent there easier ways to express that than by associating it with symbology that the culture at large associates with evil?

Why wouldnt you just create a new cultural meeting group Free from these stigmas?  Why take something that lots of people hate and say "this is what we stand for, except that we dont believe it is anything supernatural, we just use it symbolically"?

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
You know...it is funny.  I used to not believe anything in the Bible...but as I grow older, I see the trends reflected very strikingly.  SO I have recently started considering the following:

Have you ever played a video game where they had books that gave you information you would need to win?  The books are a kind of guide.  Well what if something/someone ensured a book like this was made for our world?  What if we are, in fact, in a very very realistic "virtual reality" scenario?  Wouldn't it be entirely possible that the books of the Bible (and other similar religious texts) were placed here for the same reasons?

If we're in one big video game, then the purpose of such a good book might just as easily be the opposite. Rather than sorting the believers from the sinners, what if it is sorting the weak (believers) from the strong (those who can think for themselves)? Just another thought to consider. Who the hell knows? If it ain't half empty, it's half full. Maybe both.

Offline fuzzy

Offline robrigo

I want to celebrate rob, but um....a Satanic Temple? 
Damnit I can't stop laughing...but I am certain later I'll start worrying about the mark of the beast because of this post.

As a matter of fact, I might start worrying now...

Lol glad you enjoyed it fuz. Here are some of my thoughts about Satanism in case you were wondering...

X-POST from /r/buttcoin:

You can read the tenets of The Satanic Temple here.

Satanism is a really loaded topic, similar to anarchy. It evokes images in our heads due to the stigmas and social conditioning that don't necessarily correspond to the actuality of the idea. Supernaturalism, devil-worship, sacrificing animals, etc. aren't what Satanism is about. That's just what propagandists would have you believe.

"We understand the Satanic figure as a symbol of man’s inherent nature, representative of the eternal rebel, enlightened inquiry and personal freedom rather than a supernatural deity or being."

Satanism is a challenge to dogma. A challenge to the guilt we burden ourselves with for simply being human. A challenge to rise to your fullest potential from within.

Also, I told the reporter from Motherboard some stuff about BitShares. Hopefully he includes it in the interview.

Offline fuzzy

I want to celebrate rob, but um....a Satanic Temple? 
Damnit I can't stop laughing...but I am certain later I'll start worrying about the mark of the beast because of this post.

As a matter of fact, I might start worrying now...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:47:15 pm by fuzzy »

Offline robrigo

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/34esgm/the_satanic_temple_of_detroit_now_accepts_btc/

Motherboard wants to do an interview. I'm going to try to sprinkle a few nuggets about BitShares. Streisand effect, ahoy!