Author Topic: [ANN] BITSHARES n BEYOND DAC [Sollywood TV + Sollars and Sense]  (Read 10466 times)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
You should find this interesting http://www.watchmybit.com/Home/About people pay per view and content creators get paid.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I respect your passion and work!
Feeling proud to have you on our community.
I hope we keep you here  :)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
    To The Entire BitShares Community and Our Fellow Supporters
    Greetings From Sollywood!!

Hello All its Solomon  :D.

I introduced myself to the BitShares community with this delegate post. Now I’m introducing the complete details of the project I want to run as a BitShares delegate and filmmaker for this community. This project is BitShares Video DAC. This DAC proposal will be its formal introduction. There are still some elements to fully flesh out but much of it is complete (95%). I want to complete the rest (crowd-funding details/share-dropping) with community involvement and those who believe in this vision.

If detailed proposals aren't your style you can check the tl;dr version here.

Table of Content

1. Who Am I: Sollywood
    2. BitShares Video: The Vision
    3. Sollywood TV / Sollars and Sense: The commercial Application
    4. New Money Brand
    • New Money Business Model
    5. Sollars.com
    6. Funding + Financing
    7. 100% BitShares Delegate
    8. Conclusion
    9. TL;DR Summary

Lets Get This Started... Feedback Feedback Feedback[/list]

This is probably going to be the next big thing after Bitshares Music.

This DAC needs to be on a USB stick and pluggable into a TV like Chromecast.
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:13:46 pm by luckybit »
    https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline edilliam

Not been around the last few days, since I made my comment. Also, I'm sure you won't, but please don't take any of comments as too negative, I'm just trying to keep you as realistic as possible. Please, please do not rush into this!

Firstly, I need to bring up the topic of decentralization again. If this is all going to be a centralized thing then surely it is not a DAC? You have said this could be the BitShares videos DAC, but if you are doing everything centralized, centralized storage, playout, ingest, transcoding, cms/metadata etc then where does the BitShares blockchain come in? If it is all centralized then where is the need for a blockchain?

You say that the starting architecture does not need to be decentralized initially and that you can convert. This is a really bad idea imo. Consider this: If you go the centralized route initially you will be building a company with real employees and an office and a data center with potentially millions of USD of equipment and then at some point you convert. Will you just say: "Sorry guys you're all fired and all this equipment we bought is no longer necessary as it's all going onto a decentralized storage solution"? Either the company works and you will be making a profit and there will be no reason to disband it or the company makes a loss and there will be no way of spending its now non existent money on turning it into a more efficient decentralized version of itself.

So, either this is going to be a centralized thing full stop and it is therefore not the BitShares video DAC and if so, you will have a very hard time competing with Netflix and Hulu etc and their economies of scale. Or it is going to be decentralized thing and then you must work out the fundamentals of the technical aspects of this project. You cannot just say:

Quote from: SolomonSollarsNSense
    Anything is possible you just need the team to do it.

I love your enthusiasm, but this just isn't true. I want to cure cancer, but I can't ask a community to crowdfund my assembling of a team with the promise that I'll sort out all the technicalities of it later. I know this is "argumentum ad absurdem", but If you have no idea of the technical aspects of this project and you also think:

Quote from: SolomonSollarsNSense
    White Papers are useless.

You will almost certainly (and sadly) fail. You have to work out the technical stuff here! Even if this project is to be a centralized thing you have to work out the technical stuff! These things take massive teams of highly skilled and expensive engineers, huge sums in consulting fees, huge sums in legal costs and potentially millions of USD of equipment to build. I know this well because I have helped design, build and run broadcast headends. This is what I did before Bitcoin came along. If you do not know the technical undertakings of a project of this scale then how can you effectively plan and budget accordingly? How do you know how much money you need to raise in a crowdsale? Please don't just pick a figure and assume it is enough, because it probably isn't.

Finally I'm making some big assumptions here, but one of the reasons I assume Peertracks are either not doing video initially (or maybe never) is because of the differences in size and bitrate of audio compared to video. A video stream is significantly larger than just an audio stream because there is just so much more data in video. Also in a transport stream for video content there will sometimes be multiple video and audio payloads as well as the extra headers and info. On average the audio in a video stream takes up around 5% of the total data. To do video storage and playout in a decentralized manner is very difficult. User upload speed is terrible compared to download, so if the information is being served from other users of the system you will either have terrible wait times or the bitrates will be so low that the quality will be terrible. Several huge companies (we're talking 100s of millions in investments) have tried to do video p2p and usually give up. It may be possible with South Korean internet speeds, but for everyone else it just may not be possible yet. I bought a home NAS server the other year that also works as a media center and can stream stuff over the web. I thought that I wouldn't have to always carry my entire music and video library with me everywhere, but in reality it couldn't even stream audio real time due to my apartment's upload limit.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

So that's a lot of text to read, but most people who have read it seem to respond positively to your passion, motivation, efforts and video/content skills. I think this is a success by all measures.  +5%

What is worrying is what is always worrying when a passionate, motivated entrepreneur gets pitching: There is too much going on, you're trying to do and say too many things simultaneously. Obviously you have a lot of ideas brewing, but not all of them are relevant right now.

As I see it you have three main things you need to focus on right now. 0) Getting a BitShares Delegate up, get it voted in, and keep communicating with and learning from the community. 1) Marketing your YouTube channel to get a viewership in the tens of thousands. 2) Refining your ideas on a MVP to the point where a fundraiser will be effective and get you enough money to build it.

When it comes to the first point you can do this independently and collaborate with the marketers over at Nullstreet. Instead of defining your demographics in advance I think you should do exploratory marketing with your Youtube videos. Do what you do best, and see what subscribers you attract: That's your demographic, it's the concrete people who are interested in your ideas and style.

As for the second point, you should focus on explaining as clearly and concisely why your MVP will make money for the investors who buy into it. In addition viral incentive structures of your MVP need to be in place before we even talk about the grand experience; think through a) why users would use it, b) why investors would invest, and 3) why content creators would produce content on there.

Finally, don't underestimate the time and resources that are required to do things that in abstract sound pretty straight forward. We all know this common advice, but underestimating the time it takes to resolve and deal with minute issues is usually what gets people trapped.

To sum up:
    - Zone in on what you need to do instead of what you can do.
    - YouTube is best way to explore demographics, build reputation and refine branding, voice and vision.
    - Focus on simplifying your MVP pitch and learn in detail how to raise funds safely with BitShares.
    - Don't underestimate the time and resources you need to do even "simple" things.

Looking forward to see you develop and grow boldly! In 2015 the speed of evolution is only bounded by the speed at which we transcend our own limits again and again  +5%

+5% for taking an interest in a proposal and going to great lengths to give really thought out help with it. Awesome show of community support CLains.
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline SolomonSollarsNSense

So that's a lot of text to read, but most people who have read it seem to respond positively to your passion, motivation, efforts and video/content skills. I think this is a success by all measures.  +5%

What is worrying is what is always worrying when a passionate, motivated entrepreneur gets pitching: There is too much going on, you're trying to do and say too many things simultaneously. Obviously you have a lot of ideas brewing, but not all of them are relevant right now.

As I see it you have three main things you need to focus on right now. 0) Getting a BitShares Delegate up, get it voted in, and keep communicating with and learning from the community. 1) Marketing your YouTube channel to get a viewership in the tens of thousands. 2) Refining your ideas on a MVP to the point where a fundraiser will be effective and get you enough money to build it.

When it comes to the first point you can do this independently and collaborate with the marketers over at Nullstreet. Instead of defining your demographics in advance I think you should do exploratory marketing with your Youtube videos. Do what you do best, and see what subscribers you attract: That's your demographic, it's the concrete people who are interested in your ideas and style.

As for the second point, you should focus on explaining as clearly and concisely why your MVP will make money for the investors who buy into it. In addition viral incentive structures of your MVP need to be in place before we even talk about the grand experience; think through a) why users would use it, b) why investors would invest, and 3) why content creators would produce content on there.

Finally, don't underestimate the time and resources that are required to do things that in abstract sound pretty straight forward. We all know this common advice, but underestimating the time it takes to resolve and deal with minute issues is usually what gets people trapped.

To sum up:
    - YouTube is best way to explore demographics, build reputation and refine branding, voice and vision.
    - Focus on simplifying your MVP pitch and learn in detail how to raise funds safely with BitShares.
    - Don't underestimate the time and resources you need to do even "simple" things.

Looking forward to see you develop and grow boldly! In 2015 the speed of evolution is only bounded by the speed at which we transcend our own limits again and again  +5%

Thanks CLains. Can always count on a solid response from you. Your points are all valid and I'm working through them now. That's a pretty fine road map you got there too  8) Don't mind if I take it do you  ;D
    If you like the content I make consider tipping me. Helps me keep those bitshare content babies popping like popcorn! Send tips to: solomonsollarsnsense

Offline CLains

• View Profile
    • BitShares: clains

To sum up:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 05:05:13 pm by CLains »

Sorry to ask this maybe it is obvious or already answered (I am lazy with long posts) but why use a new coin solar & sense as payment system and not bitusd? Maybe the model could be to issue Solar & Sense shares like an IPO that will get converted in bitusd once the project is launched.

Hey mf no worries. Things are still being fleshed out anyways. At least on the DAC side. Thanks for the honesty. I appreciate it. The short answer comes down to decentralized functionality. BitUSD is a great piece of functionality but the way its decentralized wouldn't work in the short term for the Sollywood TV business model. Plus the brand is synergistic in my opinion and I want to keep it that way  :D

That doesn't mean BitUSD won't play a role. Consumers are meant to purchase Sollars in bulk with Dollars (like game tokens) to spend on platforms which utilize Sollars (Sollywood TV / New Money). I do not see why BitUSD cannot play that role in addition to traditional payment options like PayPal Stripe Banks? All we have to do is accept bitUSD so we would be like a Bitshares merchant  ;)

Plus when Content Creators "cash out" or burn their Sollars for Dollars I do not see why bitUSD cannot be an option we promote? Heavily? As what to cash out to? I'm saying we would accept bitUSD for Sollars and their are options here for creativity.

Actually you are right in that we would be looking to probably issue a share or bond-like unit. But that unit would not be Sollars. Sollars works just like bitUSD. It has stable and reliable economics its just artificially kept at a 1-1 exchange to the Dollar unlike BitUSD which has a different type of functionality and fee structure to achieve the same thing.

Consumers and our millenial to young adult markets do not care about the intricacies of decentralized economics. They will just care that they are getting their content at the right price and can spend at the right price.

Either way this is a project powered by BitShares and at the very end of the day that is what really matters. That we are selling the message of BitShares being the new linux. In my opinion that is what will get us to a larger market cap in the short and long-term with a killer app that is utilizing BitShares tech in any way shape or form. No one will care about the intricacies. They will just care about the marketing message which sticks in the head and creates perception and perspective.

Thanks for the input broski. Hope this helps out a little.
    If you like the content I make consider tipping me. Helps me keep those bitshare content babies popping like popcorn! Send tips to: solomonsollarsnsense

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
    Sorry to ask this maybe it is obvious or already answered (I am lazy with long posts) but why use a new coin solar & sense as payment system and not bitusd? Maybe the model could be to issue Solar & Sense shares like an IPO that will get converted in bitusd once the project is launched.

Your proposal is so long and hard to follow that does not make much sense. You business model is very far from clear. It seams that although you put a lot of time in writing everything, it does make things even more messy. You already talk about presale but besides a lot of mambo jumbo and big revolutionary words there is nothing clear.You talk about apps and solar micro payment backed by bts.... "all project powers by Bitshares" what this does even mean. What are you talking about ?

Then you go on with non sens part two :

Persons who hold BitVid  would not own a portion of projects which choose to use the DAC to fund or issue their own tokens. Only if you buy into them specifically would that be the case such as with Sollywood TV and Sollars and Sense.

...hhhh WHAT ? This that make any sense to you ?

You should first flesh out clearly your ideas, give some working  examples. Like a real what are the incentive for consumer and for content providers ? Please don't tell to reread that proposal again nor watch the video, because I already did that part. Make it short don't write empty words to fill up the space. Let us  understand what the hell are you talking about. Make a whitepaper then maybe then you could start talking about presale and biVid and Solgold ..... And please don't criticize other delegates and don't event try to criticizes Music  ...Case in point Music had a very clear and brilliant model, also one of the confounder has like 25 years or so experience in music industry. Only once everything was clear they started talking about funding. You are going the other way around. 
    I'm  one of those that remember your first time around this forum. Your proposal back in the time sounded like a Nigerian scam. To be clear I'm not saying  that this was your intention but sounded that bad.. Then you completely disappear and now your are back .That's alright it seams that you are doing better already than the last time.
    One thing I have to say is that your videos are really good you got talent. So start by making some Bitshares videos, in the meantime make your proposal sound like a real proposal don't even talk about funding you are so far from that part you can't imagine. Gain some trust from this community and maybe you got a chance. Until then I will not even vote for you let alone spend any money in your solar nonsense!!!  But I'm open to listen to your vision and if one day it will make any Sense I'll for sure change my mind.

Proposal is trying to mix some sort of artistic sense of the world with an economic platform.  This would be good for softening the marketing edge but not for the business pitch.  BTS video may likely be a viable DAC regardless. +5%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Carpet. I appreciate the honest feedback. I see where you believe it can work and may not work. I'll try to convince you on the points you are not sold on as I start with these videos. One step at a time right... I'm terrible with that  ;D

Persons who hold BitVid  would not own a portion of projects which choose to use the DAC to fund or issue their own tokens. Only if you buy into them specifically would that be the case such as with Sollywood TV and Sollars and Sense.

By the way oco101... Did you actually listen to the BitShares Music Beyond Bitcoin episode delulo made me listen too? Those words are almost literally verbatim COB's words on their own Music DAC and how their model works... Like LITERALLY. I could give you the time if you would like. Or you could listen to it if you haven't.

I just want to make sure criticism stays constructive here. I love criticism I can take it  :D

Yes a lot of information has been presented here. That is because it is the Big Picture. The whole picture. But if you can honestly say you do not understand the business model then you haven't actually tried to understand it. The business model canvas is literally underneath the business model plan video.

I even give a short explanation of the model underneath both elements in addition to a short explanation in the Sollywood TV introduction if you don't have time to read or view everything...

White Papers are useless. They become outdated the moment it is released and features will most certainly change compared to what is written. Simply look at the evolution of the Ethereum White Paper. How much of what Vitalik wrote is actually relevant to the project today besides the wait for it wait for it... BIG PICTURE  ;)

In your case I think its fair to the rest of the BitShares community that you give your critiques your best shots as you are a highly regarded representative. It looks good to the outside world who may visit the forum later and get inspired to use BitShares for their own projects. If they are viewing critiques like yours compared to the constructive ones I have received so far that does not look good on your image and the larger community image.

If you do not like the project or me then that is fair enough I can't change that. If you do not think this will bring your holdings a higher market cap that is also fair enough. That's how shark tank works Kevin  :P

But if you would actually like this to succeed one day then give me a chance to explain things which don't make sense for you after you have tried to understand them. If you do not have time to understand them then that is also fair. But understand your misunderstanding is not a consensus.

If you just support my videos then that is cool broski. Vote for my delegate and throw this project in the trash can of your mind. But I could still use your vote  ;)

What if PeerTracks could add a video feature faster and more efficiently?

That is a possibility that I think Solly hasn't considered yet.

Consideration of potential competition is an important part of business plans.

You would be surprised onceuponatime at the amount of time I've put into understand how Sollywood TV w/ Sollars and Sense is much better FOR CONSUMERS than all of its competition. That is why I am pushing forward. If I and those who support me have to drag everyone kicking and screaming to a higher market cap then so be it.

That is how this community should work. Competing ideas for a larger market cap.

My only problem for this idea has been product/community fit which I have not found until now. There are some who don't get the Big Picture. That is okay. Others actually do.

Yes it may take time to help every single community member to see that but that is why I am going to start by making videos for the community. Those who can see the difference now are the ones who will reap the most benefits later. That is how all opportunities work in life.

It was the same case for BitShares, Bitcoin, Ethereum, (list = all inputs for successful ideas which started out as making no $ense to most people except for the few)

And those few will simply make the most $ense.

Automobile over the horse you say? That'll never work. They can simply breed faster horses. I mean the car looks like the horse why not just keep it a buggy or use the horse for wheels. Its got pretty much the same features then do so why try? Just use the horse its gonna be the same thing in like 5 to 10 years  :P

My point is stay tuned. We are just getting started.
    « Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:29:46 am by SolomonSollarsNSense »

Hey donkeypong thanks for the thoughtful question. Its not about features in my opinion. Its about the unique experience created around the features. Going to the movies is different from watching content at home with loved ones, is different from viewing content on a mobile screen by yourself, is different from watching content at a bar with the broskis. Is different from watching content on YouTube, is different from subscription content on Netflix, is different from paying for the non$ense of Cable.

All these different experiences my have the same kinds of features enabling them. I know crazy right  :D But the feature doesn't make the unique experience. Its an enabler but it is not the whole picture. To go further...

The video feature of Vine, is different from the video feature of Instagram is different from the video features of YouTube is different from the video features of Netflix, is different from the video features of Cable. There are subtle to drastic tweaks in the video features and yet they all create unique experiences and communities on their platforms with very different demographics that work for their business models.

The feature that we are bringing to the table is some $ense which enables a new kind of experience we do not have at the moment with visual content. Buy in bulk and spend at real value for content and services.

That new kind of experience and its future iterations from this starting point is very dependent on my creative mind as an entrepreneur. Key to understand here is I am aiming at a highly sought after demographic BitShares does not have at the moment and plays as the key to the future of banking.

I know so is PeerTracks with music. But COB and the Music team is not me. We are different people with different motives and platforms.

Peer Track's model will not work for content distribution in my opinion. It may work for the content creation phase but that is a drastically different market. It would then be competing with the KickStarters, IndieGogo's and crowd-funding platforms along with the heavy weight production companies ect. Sollywood TV doesn't deal with that phase. Its content distribution the final frontier that hasn't been solved for content creators and acts as a serious pain point for consumers.

That is why I stated its best not to conflate film and visual content creation/distribution with music as both come with different needs and very different industry landscapes. If they would like to add video features to the BitShares Music DAC then that is interesting. Is it open-sourced?

Finally if PeerTrack would like to follow my road map I would actually encourage them too. Its one of the top causes of start-up failure. Trying to be like the competition (if you see them as competition. I don't).

PeerTrack has Notes, we make $ense. Totally different road maps I assure you. Just look at the economics of both units for starters.

People thought Myspace and Facebook were the same (I'm guilty of that). We see how that turned out.

That is finally why I am trying to encourage people not to try and make BitShares do what Bitcoin or Ripple did with its road map to large scale adoption. Yes it may have the same feature but it contains a unique value proposition that it must own to win. It doesn't have to be like the competition. It can be like itself and beat everyone. Thanks again.
    « Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:28:04 am by SolomonSollarsNSense »

Your proposal is so long and hard to follow that does not make much sense. You business model is very far from clear. It seams that although you put a lot of time in writing everything, it does make things even more messy. You already talk about presale but besides a lot of mambo jumbo and big revolutionary words there is nothing clear.You talk about apps and solar micro payment backed by bts.... "all project powers by Bitshares" what this does even mean. What are you talking about ?

You should first flesh out clearly your ideas, give some working  examples. Like a real what are the incentive for consumer and for content providers ? Please don't tell to reread that proposal again nor watch the video, because I already did that part. Make it short don't write empty words to fill up the space. Let us  understand what the hell are you talking about. Make a whitepaper then maybe then you could start talking about presale and biVid and Solgold ..... And please don't criticize other delegates and don't event try to criticizes Music  ...Case in point Music had a very clear and brilliant model, also one of the confounder has like 25 years or so experience in music industry. Only once everything was clear they started talking about funding. You are going the other way around. 
    I'm  one of those that remember your first time around this forum. Your proposal back in the time sounded like a Nigerian scam. To be clear I'm not saying  that this was your intention but sounded that bad.. Then you completely disappear and now your are back .That's alright it seams that you are doing better already than the last time.
    One thing I have to say is that your videos are really good you got talent. So start by making some Bitshares videos, in the meantime make your proposal sound like a real proposal don't even talk about funding you are so far from that part you can't imagine. Gain some trust from this community and maybe you got a chance. Until then I will not even vote for you let alone spend any money in your solar nonsense!!!  But I'm open to listen to your vision and if one day it will make any Sense I'll for sure change my mind.

Hey oco101,

Thanks for the response broski  :) Don't worry we will turn that frown upside down, Sollywood's in town  8)

Keep following the discussion it will click.

Offline onceuponatime

That is a possibility that I think Solly hasn't considered yet.

Consideration of potential competition is an important part of business plans.