Author Topic: Hangout every Friday @ 10am EST/STD  (Read 281057 times)

Tuck Fheman

Regarding this commit: https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-2-ui/commit/9c396f1dbda06d032c4b8f25b08ab05ea51a2905

The BTS UI license was changed retroactively without telling anyone to add a clause that prevents anyone from running hosted webwallets, in my interpretion, without a seperate CNX license.

Questions:

1. Why wasn't this discussed and announced on the forums before hand, and have all the individual non-CNX contributors agreed to a license change for their previous commits?
I have published a few pull requests that have gotten merged, and I haven't known about this before today.

2. What are the real consequences of this license change? Can I still run a web wallet with my self written faucet since there's no public faucet available?

3. Why are important changes like this are not discussed/announced before they go into effect? Just like that 4 minute notice-time before the 100% fee increase.

I thought this was covered in the 2nd topic of last weeks hangout, is that not the case?

Quote from: bytemaster

So some people have expressed concern that that’s us changing rules or changing what we said and I think we can go back and review past Mumble sessions and verify that we haven’t actually changed our stance on this. Our stance has always been that the wallet would be available for anyone that wants to run it on their own, wants to use it for their use. But if you want to be someone like OpenLedger, then you’ve got to get a separate license from us and that was going to be how Cryptonomex monetized all the money we’ve invested into building this wallet. So if we allow it to be completely open source, then there’s no reason for multi-user websites like OpenLedger or Banx or what DataSecurityNode is working on, there’s no reason for them to get a license from us at all and Cryptonomex has no business model.

So that’s what we were trying to do. But we also recognize that to the extent that there’s a barrier to entry it prevents developers from taking the work we’ve done and building on it and deploying it on their own website or doing whatever it is they want to do with it. I think a lot of this can be solved by working with the Community. Anyone who creates improvements on the wallet, we are more than happy to incorporate into the wallet, more than happy to include in the light wallet that anyone can use and download free of charge.

And if you want to deploy your own website and attract users to it to try to monetize it, then we’re more than happy to work with you. We don’t charge anything up front for using it, all we really ask for is a cut of any referral income that is generated from the site you build and deploy. So that’s the model that we’ve had, that’s the model that we’ve been discussing since we originally announced Graphene months ago. If there are concerns about it, I guess now’s the time to express it and also to make recommendations on how to resolve the issues to make sure that all parties involved have financial incentive to contribute.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:19:07 am by Tuck Fheman »

Offline fuzzy

Hey everyone. Good job for opening up the questions!
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
Regarding this commit: https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-2-ui/commit/9c396f1dbda06d032c4b8f25b08ab05ea51a2905

The BTS UI license was changed retroactively without telling anyone to add a clause that prevents anyone from running hosted webwallets, in my interpretion, without a seperate CNX license.

Questions:

1. Why wasn't this discussed and announced on the forums before hand, and have all the individual non-CNX contributors agreed to a license change for their previous commits?
I have published a few pull requests that have gotten merged, and I haven't known about this before today.

2. What are the real consequences of this license change? Can I still run a web wallet with my self written faucet since there's no public faucet available?

3. Why are important changes like this are not discussed/announced before they go into effect? Just like that 4 minute notice-time before the 100% fee increase.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:21:37 pm by mindphlux »
Please consider voting for my witness mindphlux.witness and my committee user mindphlux. I will not vote for changes that affect witness pay.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:30:35 am by kenCode »
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline fuzzy

Please can BM comment on the mkt cap and what he thinks the biggest factors are and how we plan to address them.

Thanks

Sorry mike...this is a discussion I try to stay away from because bytemaster isn't really in a position to tell anyone something more than a (educated) guess.  To be honest, though...I don't even look at marketcap anymore because I see so much amazingness in our community that I know as long as THAT keeps growing, eventually BitShares will too. 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Nattylitecoin

• View Profile
With all the contraversy with Ether, When will BTS 2.0, the original vision, be completed? Is the team funded and motivated to make it so? If not, is % complete projections and what didn't make the cut?

Offline mike623317

• View Profile

Please can BM comment on the mkt cap and what he thinks the biggest factors are and how we plan to address them.

Thanks

Offline Thom

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

jakub

As I understand, in the long run the Follow My Vote functionality is going to be integrated into the BTS blockchain.

If that's the case I have these questions:
(1) what is the estimated time frame for this integration to happen?
(2) will this integration open up a possibility for UIA holders to vote on specific issues concerning their UIA? (e.g. shareholders of a UIA company voting on some specific issue concerning their company)

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210
Questions:

Is the Cryptonomex team working on a solution for big wallets? Active users have more than +100.000 keys and tremendous problems to claim their keys. Is Cnx working on an updated client to import keys faster, easier?
Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

jakub

I looked around, trying to find when these hangouts are taking place, and how to participate these days, but couldn't find it, could someone let me know?
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,4150.0.html

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com
I looked around, trying to find when these hangouts are taking place, and how to participate these days, but couldn't find it, could someone let me know?

Offline EstefanTT

french who want clear information ? go there :
http://www.bitsharesfcx.com/

Thanks for helping french people to get to us !

If you are a french speaker, don't hesitate to set you a member account on our forum and help us to grow our community ;)
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline Gim

• View Profile