Author Topic: In preparations for the "big" announcement  (Read 14146 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline mirrax

• Kill the banks!
    • View Profile
BITSHARES IS NOT A DEMOCRACY

and never has been.

BitShares is a meritocracy, meaning that those who do the most work (like the workers, delegates, and witnesses) get the most power and control.

Never again say that BitShares is a democracy.  It is just plain false.

Those who contribute (work or donate capital), get a place at the table.  Freeloaders, and lazy people have no power.

This is the structure.  If you want a democracy coin (every shareholder has an equal say even if they only own 1 Satoshi) then go somewhere else.  The BitShares community is only interested in those who are going to pull their own weight, and work hard, and contribute.  BitShares is not controlled by just anyone, it is controlled by those who give the most of themselves generously.  It is controlled by those who serve best.

Nicely said!

And Hi Fuzzy, it is my honor to be here.
This coin is to interesting to ignore  ;)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
With the powerful API it should also be possible to add BitShares to odoo or SAP

Hey xeroc, if you have an interest in working on the api for accounting and crm, I can put you in contact with Eibhin O. (you met him at our first meetup I think). I know he'd make a great beta-tester too. Lmk thanx, -ken
Thanks for the offer .. once I have time for this I can approach you guys again ..

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
With the powerful API it should also be possible to add BitShares to odoo or SAP

Hey xeroc, if you have an interest in working on the api for accounting and crm, I can put you in contact with Eibhin O. (you met him at our first meetup I think). I know he'd make a great beta-tester too. Lmk thanx, -ken
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I even think we should have 2 kinds of wallets: one for someone who wants to trade and one for the user who simply wants to be able to quickly buy BTS and a few main bitassets to hold/send/spend. 

How different the approaches are will dictate whether separate wallet apps make more sense instead of a"UI Mode" preference option that provides different UI / UX personas. From a product support and development perspective separate product apps can really increase costs substantially. If the code is structured well, with a good API, it should be possible to have radically different UXs to suit traders, B2B users or people that basically just want a better version of paypal.

But you have to really know who your target audience is and what they want as well as what they need to build a good UX. I was reading a thread here on the forum started today where someone was attempting to gather feedback on the shortcomings of the current client UX. It's a good start, but IMO an ad hoc approach like that won't result in a quality UX for each of the users we're trying to target. Identifying the target demographics and their needs is crucially important.

I do think

+5%

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
I even think we should have 2 kinds of wallets: one for someone who wants to trade and one for the user who simply wants to be able to quickly buy BTS and a few main bitassets to hold/send/spend. 

How different the approaches are will dictate whether separate wallet apps make more sense instead of a"UI Mode" preference option that provides different UI / UX personas. From a product support and development perspective separate product apps can really increase costs substantially. If the code is structured well, with a good API, it should be possible to have radically different UXs to suit traders, B2B users or people that basically just want a better version of paypal.

But you have to really know who your target audience is and what they want as well as what they need to build a good UX. I was reading a thread here on the forum started today where someone was attempting to gather feedback on the shortcomings of the current client UX. It's a good start, but IMO an ad hoc approach like that won't result in a quality UX for each of the users we're trying to target. Identifying the target demographics and their needs is crucially important.

I do think

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Thom

I do think
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline fuzzy

I suspect the big traffic will come from B2B users who do all the transactions via script at the rate of thousands per block. Instead of thinking of a day trader trading bitAssets think of the millions of people around the world swiping their credit card, making micro payments in a game, executing automatic bill payments, etc. HUGE traffic. HUGE fees :D .

Agreed.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Riverhead

There will be many wallets just like there are many web browsers. Each organization, like Moonstone, will be trying to make theirs the best. I can't wait :) .

As an aside while agree the UX is important I suspect the big traffic will come from B2B users who do all the transactions via script at the rate of thousands per block. Instead of thinking of a day trader trading bitAssets think of the millions of people around the world swiping their credit card, making micro payments in a game, executing automatic bill payments, etc. HUGE traffic. HUGE fees :D .

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:15:30 pm by Riverhead »

Offline fuzzy

My chief concern is and always will be how well is BitShares sticking to the fundamental principles that brought me and many others to this ecosystem.
This is my chief concern as well.  But another concern I have is that we as a community will forget why we originally came here because we get impatient and depressed about unrealistic expectations not being met within unrealistic timelines.  We need to remember that it is the community and technology that will give this platform value...it is simply a matter of when if those two factors remain constant.

My primary technical concern is whether all of the sweeping changes will be perceived as overall positive or net negative by the community. It all hinges on the User eXperience. I am very uneasy about this. The team has not demonstrated the innovation and rate of improvement of frontend (UI) development compared with that of the infrastructure / backend. It clearly isn't where their passion lives. However, BM is heading up an exceptional team, and he realizes the importance and difficulty of creating a solid, positive UX. Will he be able to  manage and guide his team to produce a quality software product that the market wants? Will support be a killer after it's released (i.e. bugs)? Will he be able to acquire the necessary skills in UI / UX to pull this off? Will it take much longer than anticipated, causing loss of confidence if the "big release" doesn't happen until July or possibly even August?

100%  There is NOTHING more important to the success of the platform as a whole than the UX being perfect.  It should be developed in a way that makes it ridiculously simple for a User to quickly and easily use it.  I even think we should have 2 kinds of wallets: one for someone who wants to trade and one for the user who simply wants to be able to quickly buy BTS and a few main bitassets to hold/send/spend. 

It should be SO easy for someone to use it that they feel certain that the entire platform is polished and perfect.  The front end is what will create this. 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
And let's not forget, even if you don't have a single bitshare* you can still speak your mind here and on mumble, influencing majority opinion on par with everyone else..

*Namedropping for SEO (and BitGold too!)

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
BITSHARES IS NOT A DEMOCRACY
and never has been.
BitShares is a meritocracy, meaning that those who do the most work (like the workers, delegates, and witnesses) get the most power and control.
This is the structure.  If you want a democracy coin (every shareholder has an equal say even if they only own 1 Satoshi) then go somewhere else.  The BitShares community is only interested in those who are going to pull their own weight, and work hard, and contribute.  BitShares is not controlled by just anyone, it is controlled by those who give the most of themselves generously.  It is controlled by those who serve best.

+5% +5% +5%
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

jakub

Ethereum got many attention because their vision is very BIG.
Does Bitshares have a killer feature can involve many programer, developer or entrepreneurial talent.
They can do something base on Bitshares, not work for Bitshares. It is ecosphere.
I think it will take a long time till Ethereum can optimize their processing speed to a level needed to support bit-assets complexity.

Is Bitshares turing on the plan list?
Yes, BM once said the he would be looking into CIYAM to make BitShares Turing complete as the next big step after 1.0 is released.
Below is BM's post alluding to this:

turing complete smart contracts which will be our LAST hard fork.

Is this something Bitshares will be working on alone or are you collaborating with Ian Knowles at CIYAM (http://ciyam.org/at/)? He's scheduled to have the first cross-chain transaction on a mainnet complete before months end between Burst and Qora.

I have been in talks with Ian since the early days of BTS. I have reviewed his work and consider it superior to Ethereum.I would likely take an approach similar to his and adopt his code if it gains any traction and is proven. Performance is my primary consideration as well as simplicity.

Offline logxing

Ethereum got many attention because their vision is very BIG.
Does Bitshares have a killer feature can involve many programer, developer or entrepreneurial talent.
They can do something base on Bitshares, not work for Bitshares. It is ecosphere.
Is Bitshares turing on the plan list?
BTS Account:logxing

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
+5% , We have no power at all
I have power .. just because I have >0 BTS shares in BTS ..
It's like democracy .. even if you feel your vote doesn't count, the opinion of the mass does count!

Democracy should be one person have one vote right, not decide by person Who have more land , more money, more wealth.
BTS just like Joint-stock company, It will to do something decide by big stakeholders even if it is no correct.
BM just like Jobs in Apple Inc. ,Board of Directors is weak just like stakeholders is weak in BTS.
But BM is not Jobs, and BTS is not Apple Inc.

I know BM work hard , and payed a lot. I'm very admire him.
But a DAC should be more democracy.

If you want more vote, buy more BitShares. They are really cheap right now!

Have no power to decide something?
OK, Your should to buy more bitshares, you have no power because your bitshares not enough.   :P

But how many could make a change?
Even if buy more BTS, it could change anything?

I'm not good at write by English , I just deliver my opinion.
If my words sound terrible , I‘m sorry.

Your words are fine and your English is excellent....waaaay better than my Chinese. As to your concern. Try to think further ahead...if some day, everyone on the planet had some Bitshares and those that start out with many (big holders have actually a very low % compared to other leading crypto projects) gradually use some or pass them on to multiple family members etc then the power of Bitshares will become homogenised across the network. Besides, as long as consensus can be reached in favour of the majority of participants, then the corruption resistant consensus mechanism protects everyone.

And like xeroc says, as long as the rules continue to work in favour of the majority, many people no longer need bts at all. They can use its products secure in their financial freedom.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 06:42:35 am by Ben Mason »