Author Topic: Windows client almost unusable  (Read 4613 times)

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Yea I gave up trying to sync.. I don't even know if my shorts have been covered lol.. Hoping next version will improve it
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

hashbit

I'm tired of spending so much time trying to synch my gui client.  Also it shouldn't hog so much memory. I'm not happy with this.  It seems the software is getting buggier.  I'll try the cmd line client at some point.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:07:25 am by hashbit »

Offline Crossover

• View Profile
this client is impossible to use, even to just sell all funds and say good bye..

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
after spending all day yesterday and at least 7 hours today I am at a point that the client is fully synched, the transaction history is scanned but still I can't do anything.. :(

I can see my balances on the dashboard but when I enter in an exhange market the balances are shown zero..Some times the order books don't appear...
In one machine I get an error message that windows will have to shut down bitshares due to the increased use of memory...lol..that is a new one...

I must have opened and closed the client at least 20 times today..nothing...

Can I do anything about this? Can the devs do anything about this? Should I just forget about BTS for the next 2-3 months and revisit then? Does anyone else experience similar problems or am I the only one here? Seriously how do you guys even trade with the GUI? Or am I the only one trying to use the GUI and everyone else is using external exchanges?
oouuuff... :(

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Thank you for the reply Xerox.However this looks way too complicated for me.. :(
I found an old copy of the chain so that worked. My problem is now that the transaction history is stuck at 3%. The memory usage on my laptop is 3.8GB!! I am pretty sure this is not normal..On my notebook the memory usage is 900Mb and usually my notebook is really slow..

So now I am wondering if there is something really going wrong with my laptop..Is there something I can do? 3.8GB and stuck at transaction 3% for hours is really ennoying..
Thanks!
Transaction scanning can take ages for me too. The completion % barely moves either.
Luckily this is one of the major issues DPOS 2 will fix, I know that isn't much help right now though.
If it's stuck more than ~5hours I'd replace the chain folder and start again

FYI, after every successful resync (after failure) and confirming that all is well, I close the bts client and navigate to the folder where the chain is stored and copy it to an external harddrive.
In case of a failure, I immediately close the client (which is attempting to redownload the entire chain from scratch) and go to this externally saved folder and then copy it back into the bts client folder.
When I reload it again, it should be synced back to the same point at which you saved/backed up the folder previously.

FOR WINDOWS:
1. Have fully synced client running. Check all is well, then close the client.
2. Open the start menu, and search
%appdata%
3. When the folder opens, go to Roaming (you may already be in this folder straight from %appdata%)
4. Open the "BitShares" folder, and then right click and copy the "chain" folder. (Make sure you copy and don't cut it)
5. Paste the copied "chain" folder to an external harddrive, or elsewhere, My Documents etc
6. Rename the folder to "bts chain backup dd/mm" (day/month)
7. Open up bts again and it should load as before, normally.

8. If the client ever fails to download, find your "bts chain backup" folder, and copy it into the %appdata%/roaming/BitShares folder, replacing the existing "chain" folder.
9. Rename the newly copied folder from "bts backup" to "chain".
10. Keep a copy of the backup where you saved it before, in case it all fails again.
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Thank you for the reply Xerox.However this looks way too complicated for me.. :(
I found an old copy of the chain so that worked. My problem is now that the transaction history is stuck at 3%. The memory usage on my laptop is 3.8GB!! I am pretty sure this is not normal..On my notebook the memory usage is 900Mb and usually my notebook is really slow..

So now I am wondering if there is something really going wrong with my laptop..Is there something I can do? 3.8GB and stuck at transaction 3% for hours is really ennoying..
Thanks!

Tuck Fheman

edit: I think fav has a thread that offers to download the (raw) chain as a torrent somewhere in the forum

Here it is ... https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16510.msg211140.html#msg211140

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Hi Guys,

I was out of sych 8 days. After a couple of hours it synched but then the transaction history was stuck @ 1%. I have restarted and now I am 334days out of synch..I have restarted just in case but I am still out of synch 334 days...

Please advise if there is a fast solution to that..I really can't believe that I have to synch all over again and then again all over the transaction history with the risk of crashing again...And by the way the client just uses all my memory...
v.0.9.1 windows 7

Any advise?
Thanks

1) Use chainserver for syncing: http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares/Chain-Server
2) use the console client instead of GUI: bitshares_client.exe
3) do not open your wallet until you have fully synced the blockchain (check with "info" in terminal)

edit: I think fav has a thread that offers to download the (raw) chain as a torrent somewhere in the forum

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Hi Guys,

I was out of sych 8 days. After a couple of hours it synched but then the transaction history was stuck @ 1%. I have restarted and now I am 334days out of synch..I have restarted just in case but I am still out of synch 334 days...

Please advise if there is a fast solution to that..I really can't believe that I have to synch all over again and then again all over the transaction history with the risk of crashing again...And by the way the client just uses all my memory...
v.0.9.1 windows 7

Any advise?
Thanks

hashbit

I agree. The latest windows client seems worse than older versions.  It won't finish syncing despite reloading the blockchain and it heats up my laptop a lot.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
Win7 Ult 64 on HP laptop with i5 and 4Gb ram. 250Gb hdd sata.
Well, 6 months down the road and the wallet is as bad as ever. I gave up on it last time and moved all my BTSX to an exchange in frustration and desperation. Yesterday I gave 0.9.2 another try. I'm still trying 24 hourslater. Read Frank's post at the top of this thread to see what I am experiencing.
I learned about the Moonstone wallet and donated. It looks very good but sadly, it seems the target needed for MIT will not be reached. Very little takeup in what could be a killer wallet. Very sad.
Holding BTSX feels like kissing a frog over and over but no prince. Please do something to get the wallet up to speed. Even BTC on qt feels fast compared to this thing.
Patiently waiting, holding and kissing. ;)

moonstone will be released anyways. just not under this specific license :)

Offline aragoon

• View Profile
Win7 Ult 64 on HP laptop with i5 and 4Gb ram. 250Gb hdd sata.
Well, 6 months down the road and the wallet is as bad as ever. I gave up on it last time and moved all my BTSX to an exchange in frustration and desperation. Yesterday I gave 0.9.2 another try. I'm still trying 24 hourslater. Read Frank's post at the top of this thread to see what I am experiencing.
I learned about the Moonstone wallet and donated. It looks very good but sadly, it seems the target needed for MIT will not be reached. Very little takeup in what could be a killer wallet. Very sad.
Holding BTSX feels like kissing a frog over and over but no prince. Please do something to get the wallet up to speed. Even BTC on qt feels fast compared to this thing.
Patiently waiting, holding and kissing. ;)

Offline bytemaster

If you are having trouble with windows client, please tell us what version of windows and what kind of computer/ram/cpu/hard disk you have.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline omgurindanger

• View Profile
i too was having problem with my BTS windows client, and now it cannot open and export with some BTS inside it  :'(

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I would avoid using the http://wallet.bitshares.org just yet, or at least use it with few funds at your own risk.