Author Topic: Password worked yesterday not today  (Read 2159 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Do I now need to rescan or replay the blockchain or right away update it to 0.9.2?
Nop ... just close the client, reinstall the new one and start the new client ..
I didn't yet fully understand how to update to 0.9.2. Does it also work with the tar.gz file like above or do I need to compile it?
Yes .. just run the new binary .. all user data is stored in your home direcctory under ~/.BitShares
Note: there is only "1 connection to the p2p network". Is that an issue?
it sometimes needs some time to get more nodes .. keep it running for a few minutes ... you can check the number of connections at any time by typing "info"

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Update: I have replaced the wallet folder again with the wallet folder I backed up month ago. Here my password works again. A solution might be to change the password of the wallet but "File" -> "change password" is grey.
Depending on which version you used to do the backup, it may be that the only way to resolve this is to install BitShares in version 0.5.3
https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares/releases/tag/bts%2F0.5.3
import the wallet there, and update the client to 0.9.2 again ..

There is a bug reporting that some backups may not work for newer version .. these bugs can be prevented by importing in a older version ..

maybe move the "chains" folder somewhere else when doing the downgrade so that you don't need to download the chain again after upgrade
I downloaded https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares/releases/download/bts%2F0.5.3/bitshares-0.5.3-linux-x86_64.tar.gz which let's me start the bitshares_client right away (no compiling needed). I successfully imported the wallet (passphrase worked). Do I now need to rescan or replay the blockchain or right away update it to 0.9.2?
I didn't yet fully understand how to update to 0.9.2. Does it also work with the tar.gz file like above or do I need to compile it?
Note: there is only "1 connection to the p2p network". Is that an issue?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:43:06 pm by delulo »

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I run the bitshares_client now and it began replaying the blockchain. The is no promt like normal in a terminal window so I can't type "open default" and enter my password..

prompt will come after replaying the blockchain .. it will look like this
>>>

I always updated it by newly compiling it and then imported a backup. By updating do you mean update via a github command?
if you are under windows you can simply use the exe file provided in the github releases ..
otherwise you need to compile version 0.5.3 first, run it and import your wallet .. then you can checkout the latest version, recompile and start the client again
Ok thanks I will do that (with the old wallet) if it doesnt work now with the command line client.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I run the bitshares_client now and it began replaying the blockchain. The is no promt like normal in a terminal window so I can't type "open default" and enter my password..

prompt will come after replaying the blockchain .. it will look like this
>>>

I always updated it by newly compiling it and then imported a backup. By updating do you mean update via a github command?
if you are under windows you can simply use the exe file provided in the github releases ..
otherwise you need to compile version 0.5.3 first, run it and import your wallet .. then you can checkout the latest version, recompile and start the client again

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

and update the client to 0.9.2 again

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Update: I have replaced the wallet folder again with the wallet folder I backed up month ago. Here my password works again. A solution might be to change the password of the wallet but "File" -> "change password" is grey.
Depending on which version you used to do the backup, it may be that the only way to resolve this is to install BitShares in version 0.5.3
https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares/releases/tag/bts%2F0.5.3
import the wallet there, and update the client to 0.9.2 again ..

There is a bug reporting that some backups may not work for newer version .. these bugs can be prevented by importing in a older version ..

maybe move the "chains" folder somewhere else when doing the downgrade so that you don't need to download the chain again after upgrade

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
That is odd ... can you try this:
1) run the bitshares_client.exe (CLI version)
2) type "open default"
3) type "unlock 99999" and provide the passphrase
whats the output?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I post quite frequently in the support section atm. Thanks to anyone who looks at it!

So yesterday I replaced the complete wallet folder in .bitshares with a wallet folder I backed up a while ago. I logged in with a password that is stored in a password manager. That worked.

Today I started the client again and used the same password. This time it didn't work. the client also didn't say that the password is incorrect. When I go to "Accounts" -> "go to my accounts" it also asks me for the password. If I enter the password there it replies that the password would be incorrect.

I have made a backup of the wallet when I was logged in yesterday. When I import the wallet the client just shuts down.

Anything I have overlooked?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:09:08 am by delulo »