Author Topic: Bitshares price discussion  (Read 887221 times)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Always some idiot whale who doesnt realize he can easily sell the bts slowly over time at 2000+, he has to market dump to 1600 to try to kill bts while he gets out with less money.

Wasn't that little dump possibly the case of longs being under-margined and a big buy order being removed resulting in forced liquidations as you explained here?

Lets say that the person with the buy wall at 850 sats in our example cancelled his order.  Now, polo recalculates how much you could sell your BTS for. Lets say that the 850 wall was a big wall and you were relying on its existence.  Without it, poloniex sees that you would have to dump all the way down to 400 sats in a liquidation!   It recalculates your margin and determines that you are below the 20% liquidation level and are no longer safe. Therefore it autoliquidates your position, and crashes the price to 400 sats.
So the removal of an order from the books on polo can trigger forced liquidations.

I will agree with Ander and whoever else posted regarding this... being margin long (and short for that matter) is a very dangerous proposition with moves of that magnitude.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 10:45:12 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline EstefanTT

The same happenned to maidsafe, it bounced back slowly and made a new high a few days later ... nothing to worry, bts uptrend is just stopping for a while to catch its breath and get ready for more ;p
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
Always some idiot whale who doesnt realize he can easily sell the bts slowly over time at 2000+, he has to market dump to 1600 to try to kill bts while he gets out with less money.

Wasn't that little dump possibly the case of longs being under-margined and a big buy order being removed resulting in forced liquidations as you explained here?

Lets say that the person with the buy wall at 850 sats in our example cancelled his order.  Now, polo recalculates how much you could sell your BTS for. Lets say that the 850 wall was a big wall and you were relying on its existence.  Without it, poloniex sees that you would have to dump all the way down to 400 sats in a liquidation!   It recalculates your margin and determines that you are below the 20% liquidation level and are no longer safe. Therefore it autoliquidates your position, and crashes the price to 400 sats.
So the removal of an order from the books on polo can trigger forced liquidations.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 10:29:44 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

blogpost from Azure has not come out yet, that may cause "the" rise
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

TravelsAsia

I just never worry about things outside my control. For every seller, there are buyers.  It's like poker, it's easy to get frustrated when people make poor moves and still drag down pots. However, there long term expectation will eventually catch up with them if enough hands are dealt.  I believe this is just the initial spark for Bitshares. With the 2.0 projects getting more attention, the crypto public will finally start catching up to what we all knew all along.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
Any thoughts from the traders on what caused that crash?  Looks like someone covered a massive short afterwards.

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
Easy come easy go I guess. Heh.

Edit: Already ricocheting back up. lol intense

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
How secure is Poloniex?  They have a lot of BTC and BTS there, would be a shame if something happened...

The precise moment I read this comment I pictured you like this

I thought the same thing, but I was thinking more a mob boss.

man, I wish someone has come up with un idea where all BTS (or dShares) are always in the DEX... ;)
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
How secure is Poloniex?  They have a lot of BTC and BTS there, would be a shame if something happened...

The precise moment I read this comment I pictured you like this

I thought the same thing, but I was thinking more a mob boss. 

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Whats with these shorts that borrow my bts at 1400 and still dont cover at +50%.  What are they thinking?  Lunatics.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

They are secure enough that they havent been able to be hacked yet, even with their btc wallet being like the #4 bitcoin wallet in existence, and have hundreds of millions of eth.  I am sure many hackers have tried.

Of course, that is no guarantee they are secure.  All it means is they are on a higher level than all the shitty exchanges that got hacked.

common guys!!!
They could be safer than a "swiss bank" but it still not worth enough !!!
Why?
Because nobody can protect the millions of ETH,BTS,BTC from greedy exchange owners!
Do you think a scenario from their part to pretend that they are also goxxed  is unlikely?

Do you think in 100 years from now that they will earn more than they already can have... from trading fees?
I bet it is tempting for them to take it all and disappear! I hope they have morals and don't do it!   :)
But it is better to stop hoping and take a little bit action!

MOVE YOUR PRECIOUS BTS TO OUR DEX NOW  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't think so say have 100.000 USD in trading fees every day, they needed a long time but with the ETH pump they hit the jackpot. I think they are looking every day on their wallets and can't believe how fast they are growing. Would be nice to know their expenses.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

They are secure enough that they havent been able to be hacked yet, even with their btc wallet being like the #4 bitcoin wallet in existence, and have hundreds of millions of eth.  I am sure many hackers have tried.

Of course, that is no guarantee they are secure.  All it means is they are on a higher level than all the shitty exchanges that got hacked.

common guys!!!
They could be safer than a "swiss bank" but it still not worth enough !!!
Why?
Because nobody can protect the millions of ETH,BTS,BTC from greedy exchange owners!
Do you think a scenario from their part to pretend that they are also goxxed  is unlikely?

Do you think in 100 years from now that they will earn more than they already can have... from trading fees?
I bet it is tempting for them to take it all and disappear! I hope they have morals and don't do it!   :)
But it is better to stop hoping and take a little bit action!

MOVE YOUR PRECIOUS BTS TO OUR DEX NOW  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline yvv

• View Profile
in the meanwhile the 10 top volume coins....

How do they get $2M volume for bitshares? The most traded pairs are like $1000?

bts buys and sells on poloniex, btc38 etc....

Come and trade on DEX, assholes!

They cant do that until they buy BTS on poloniex with their BTC first.

Right, liquidity for TRADE.BTC, METAEX.BTC and OPEN.BTC is so poor that there is no choice but to cash in through other exchanges. These guys should make markets for their IOUs on DEX or get kicked out from Deposit/Withdrawal page.

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo
It hit 2300 satoshis. 900 btc of buy orders on poloniex. Most.Volume.Ever.

Also the one-week chart is about to go positive for the first time since the chart started: https://cryptrader.com/charts/poloniex/bts/btc

All I can say is: wow.